“Nasty!”
Review of Mount Aire Motel

Mount Aire Motel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Harlan
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

From the outside it appears to be well kept. Not even close. Beds were rock hard and enclosed in plastic sheets. Every time you or anyone rolls over, squeak, squeak, squeak. Blankets had been worn down to nothing and were single size on a double size bed. Some Trim boards were missing. One of our room had an old metal cabinet as parts of the vanity. Floor was so nasty it felt like a layer of grease on it. A/c wall unit blew urine smell directly on the beds, with no way to adjust the air away from our faces. Bathroom floor had piles of grime along faceboard. Needless to say none of us wanted to shower in the teeny tiny stand up stall(no bathtub). Panel board from the 60's. no refrigerator. Wifi did not reach our room. Bathroom door lock just spun. When we asked for a partial refund we were told their policy is to NEVER give a refund for any reason. The rest out party stayed at the comfort in and it was very clean, fantastic breakfast with very friendly staff. Pay the extra money!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank allsizepro
ANKUR B, Guest Relations Manager at Mount Aire Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

We are so sorry for your experience . Ownership has been change on August 25 and with new ownership they have lot of good plan for this hotel. Next 3 to 6 months all upgrades will be completed and I am pretty confident everyone will like that .Please give us a second chance and you will be not disappointed .

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I really want to give this place a good review but there is so little to say that is good. First the outside was just done and is adorable along with the office building. For $56 I guess I should not complain but should say the following...the rooms are from the 60's along with all the years of grime! I wont even go into detail. I am not real high maintenance and always vacation on a budget and stay at motels all the time that are pretty borderline. But this was unreal, carpet was so bad I wore flip flops when I moved around! This is a hunting shack, not a place to rest up and sleep for vacationers.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Very impressed with the size of the room. About 1 1/2 larger than average. Bathroom could use an update but clean, large, and more than adequate. Breakfast was good with a number of selections and variety. Staff was very friendly. I would recommend and would stay again

Room Tip: This was our first time staying here and I was told by a previous user of this motel to ask for a ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David W

Thank you so much for good review .Ownership has been change on August 25 and with new ownership they have lot of good plan for this hotel. Next 3 to 6 months all upgrades will be completed and I am pretty confident everyone will like that .

Reviewed 18 July 2013

We recently stayed here for a week, and were well taken care off. The maids do a wonderful job of cleaning the rooms daily - including changing the beddings (bedspread too!) daily. The breakfast is adequate to get your day started. The location is great as there are many restaurant choices very close-by. We would stay here again of in the area.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank optionsottawa

Reviewed 23 January 2013

We took our granddaughter and our dog on a road trip to my Mom's hometown of Harlan. We chose the Mt. Aire Lodge mainly because it was pet friendly. I'd read some not-so-hot reviews, so I was prepared for a less than perfect experience.

From the moment we arrived, the staff was helpful and our room was just as it was described on the property's website. We never saw any bugs and I thought it was very clean. The rooms are older and a bit dark, but not unclean. Our beds were comfortable. We had two queens--- one for my husband and I and one for our granddaugher, the sheets were clean and although I personally could have used fluffier pillows, everything was fine.

The location was perfect for exploring Harlan. Because we have family nearby, we didn't take advantage of the breakfast, so I won't comment on that.

The motel even provides towels to use for cleaning your gun or ATV (see picture)

Would stay again for sure!

Room Tip: Have realisic expectations. This is not the Ritz Carlton, it is a motel in Harlan, Kentucky. The s...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 November 2012

For that area, the motel is average. There is only one other motel in the area and it was under renovation when I was in the area.The motel staff are very pleasant, Breakfast was good. This trip was with my sister and daughter. As my sister and I was born in Yancy we all wanted to return and see the area. The Mts are beautiful and we had perfect weather

Room Tip: Rooms are large, contain fridge, micro wave, and internet. It was cold overnight, we used some heat...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 September 2012

This place is very deceiving from the outer appearance! Carpet was dirty,very small,needs updated,could barely turn around in the shower,and kitchenette consisted of small refrigerator,microwave on top,a pottery plate and bowl on top of it. Setting beside of the desk.....what a joke. Maybe for hunters .

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Java2011

Thank you for your review .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harlan
Quality Inn
Cumberland Gap Inn
Cumberland Gap Inn
#2 of 2 in Cumberland Gap
The Olde Mill Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Mount Aire Motel? Share your experiences!