“Love the view & the atmosphere!”

Captain's Quarters INC
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, View
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Love the view & the atmosphere!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

What a great spot! Stopped here on our way into Louisville for a concert. Wished we could have stayed longer but we enjoyed a lovely dinner outside and then stayed outside for a drink. Great casual atmosphere with a terrific view of the river - and lots of boats (of all kinds) passing by/docking. Will definitely come back!

Columbus OH
“Absolutely Awesome Experience!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This restaurant provided us (3 couples) with an “experience” rather than just a meal. We were in Louisville for a golf tournament and looking for riverfront restaurants. As someone else commented this restaurant is actually in Harrod's Creek or Prospect, depending on the source, and not Louisville, so we were lucky to have found it. It was less than 20 minutes from our Louisville hotel. From reading other reviews, we were lucky...we arrived about 5:45 and there were many empty tables on the outside deck. By the time we finished our meal, there were people waiting for tables. The restaurant itself is beautiful, with multi-tiered decks overlooking the Ohio River. The food was just about perfect. Among the six of us we had shrimp, fish tacos, filet, chicken quesadilla, and Kentucky Hot Brown. I have to admit, I was surprised by the Kentucky Hot Brown. It was tasty enough, but not what I expected, or what I have had before. I think it was probably the “proper” way to serve it but I am used to more of the cheese sauce. This one seemed a little dry. The waitress mentioned when I ordered it that they had changed their “presentation” of the dish. However, since we had never been there, I did not know what the earlier “presentation” was. I do not mean to say this Kentucky Hot Brown was not good...it is just a personal preference. The others raved about their meals. Our service was excellent. The server was friendly, prompt, and knowledgeable. Some reviews have mentioned Captain's Quarters is a little pricey. It is perhaps a little pricey compared to some of your typical chain restaurants, but we felt the prices were not at all high for the quality of the food and the ambience of the restaurant. As the other reviews have mentioned, the best part of this restaurant is the beautiful view. It is situated on the Ohio River, just as the entrance to Harrod's Creek, where a nice marina is located. So, you see boats of all sizes coming and going, as well as barges traveling the Ohio River. And for us, the most remarkable thing was the beautiful lawn filled with chairs to sit in and enjoy the evening. There are bars both inside and outside (go the indoor bar for quicker service). We had drinks and sat out for two hours watching the boats and the sunset. There is also a little grill that serves hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, etc. So, for very little money, you can buy a meal there, and sit out on one of the tables on the lawn enjoying the view as long as you wish. If I lived near Louisville, I would probably be there every weekend during the summer. It truly is a “don't miss” kind of place.

Louisville, Kentucky
“Wonderful! Marvelous!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Captain's Quarters is a "hidden gem" nestled away in the bend of the Ohio River. It's unfortunate that it's listed as a restaurant under "Harrods Creek" (rather than nearby Louisville, KY), as it's probably just a 20-25 minute drive from Downtown Louisville (and it's worth it!).

We arrived for dinner on Sunday around 5:45 pm. Since it was a weekend - with fabulous weather - we expected a large crowd, but NOTHING like we saw when we pulled into the parking lot (which is massive and is located behind a beautiful marina).

Fortunately, we were able to be seated indoors almost immediately (to eat on the "patio" entailed almost a two hour wait!). There are no "bad seats" inside, and we were still able to look out at the river, the boats and other patrons.

Although the menu can be "pricey," there are a variety of items and well within anyone's budget. We both ordered the fish sandwich that comes on rye bread with fries and slaw. The pieces of fish were so massive that we had to take some home with us (there was no way it would fit on the bread!). Everything was delicious, and our server was quick, very attentive, and was always nearby to refill drinks.

Afterwards we walked around outside to enjoy the sites and the beautiful weather. This is an exceptional place to eat and enjoy the surroundings. HIGHLY recommended!

• Visited August 2014
“Great place for a nice summer evening”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited for the first time on a Friday night around 6:30 and waited just over an hour and a half for our table. We did not mind the wait as we were able to enjoy the view and order drinks/appetizers from the outside bar. The weather was perfect to sit on the water and watch the boats go by on the river. Had the weather not been as nice the wait would have been miserable. The food was good however it seemed to take awhile to arrive once we placed our order. The majority of the wait staff seemed to be more attentive to the boats that were docked than those who were actually sitting at the restaurant. The prices were a little higher than average but you are really paying for the view. I would definitely be willing to give this place a second chance but would probably consider arriving earlier so that we would not have to wait quite as long for a table.

Brandenburg, Kentucky
“Beautiful Setting BUT Poor Service!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

After hearing many people talk about how beautiful the setting was my husband and I decided to go for my birthday. When we arrived we were seated very quickly outside on the deck. The view of the Ohio River was beautiful as everyone said. We waited at our table for about 10 minutes before the waiter ever stopped by. After we finally got our drinks we ordered appetizers. We received them in a short time. The problem came when we received our dinner or when I received my dinner. A server brought my entree but not my husbands. We thought it would come in just a few minutes but we were wrong!! Our waiter finally came by after I had my entree for about 20 minutes. He looked at the table and asked my husband about his fish tacos. We explained how we had not received them. The waiter said he would go check. I don't know what happen but the entree finally came 20 minutes after the waiter went to check on it. What bothered us the most is the waiter never apologized or explained what happened. He just acted like it was not his problem. We live about an hour from the Louisville area but travel there to go to nicer restaurants. I wish we had gone somewhere else for dinner and maybe only to Captin Qtrs for drinks and to enjoy the view. There are many other reataurants where the food is much better. The food here was just okay. We will likely not go back anytime soon.

• Visited July 2014