“Bugs! And WHAT IS THAT STENCH?”

Bright Leaf Golf Resort
Bright Leaf Golf Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Harrodsburg
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here while he was working in Harrodsburg. Our room had ants which were living in the wall, there were "waterbugs" (cockroaches) scurrying about around 10 feet from our door, and our room constantly had bugs from every time we opened the door. We aren't talking a few here either. There was also a ....crust? of dead bugs between the sink and the wall.

When the sun goes down, there is a smell. It doesn't start off too bad, but later in the evening the smell is overwhelming and nauseating. It is like sewage and rotting food. We couldn't even go sit outside after dark because it was so bad.

The staff was friendly and helpful, the food at the restaurant was ok. The price was right for the quality, but we did most of our own cooking. The pool was well maintained and the gym was a nice plus. Sadly, a lot of the equipment is not working correctly, only weights, or just doesn't really look safe.

Last bit. We don't golf. We stayed here for the condo option since we would be in town for a few months on the job. Golfers get up at around 0600 and are NOT quiet. If you are working night shift this is NOT the place for you, condo or not.

There is free wi-fi but like most hotels, connections are spotty at best.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sterling N
blgr, Manager at Bright Leaf Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

We appreciate your feedback. Guest reviews are the best way to gain insight on improvements that would make your stay at Bright Leaf Golf Resort most enjoyable. We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We would love the opportunity to have a second chance to improve your impression if you are ever back in our area!

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Wow, my group of 16 (Bogey Busters) just finished a four day outing, our first visit with you. We appreciate the playability of your course, clean accommodations, and the pride your staff takes in addressing our needs/wants. I'm glad we booked for a 2013 trip before departing, we want to come back!
We'll be back to play again prior to our 2013 reservations....thanks to you and your fine staff for a terrific time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Thanks for taking time to post a review, Robert F!

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Thought Bright Leaf was great. Food was great, golf was great, and the people were super friendly. We are already planning our trip for next year. 15 of us came from Ohio and enjoyed it immensely.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cleveland_OhioAnder

Thanks for taking time to post a review!

Reviewed 21 March 2012

There is nothing spectacular about Brightleaf, but it is a great place to enjoy a weekend with the fellas. Yeah, the rooms are just okay, and the golf course is just okay, but golf is golf and it's good enough.

The service is good, the people are nice and the breakfast and lunches are excellent. Especially if you like bacon, eggs, burgers, blts, chicken salad, etc. I look forward to to grabbing a bacon and egg sandwich and meeting my group on the first tee for a long day of golf and gabbing.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank agabrielj

Thanks for taking time to post a review. Our rooms have been remodeled since your stay and improvements are made to the course each year...if you are back in the area, we would love for you to stop by! Thanks again.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

I guess I should be grateful that they were dead. But finding one still squirming ant as big as a hummingbird in the ice container was not fun. I was concerned that the ant had been sprayed with some nice toxic substance while it was IN the ice bucket. Even better was lifting up the bedspread and finding more dead bugs on the carpet near the bed. It was expensive but the only show in town due to a wedding at the Shaker Village. The bed was hard, the towels were cheesy and all in all it was a very nasty experience and I could not wait to get out of there..

Room Tip: Do a U turn in the parking lot and get the hell out of there.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sheilagboulderCO

We appreciate your feedback. Guest reviews are the best way to gain insight on improvements that would make your stay at Bright Leaf Golf Resort most enjoyable. We are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your stay. 65 of our rooms have been completely remodeled since your stay with us. If you are ever back in our area, we would love the opportunity to change your impression.

Reviewed 18 June 2009

We have been taking a golf vacation to Bright Leaf for over 20 years with four different groups of golfers. The course if great, even if it rains, the course will drain quickly and you are able to get your round in.
I do miss the ranger who kept the slower players moving (when they let 2 or more holes in front of them become empty) so the rounds could be played in less than 5-6 hours. Kevin is great to keep tee times on schedule.
The hotel is comfortable and the breakfast is pretty good. We like that we park the car and don't move it until we get ready to leave. There are some pizza places that deliver along with the handy grills, you can find alternatives to the restaurant if you wish without having to leave the premises.
Overall, a great way to spend time enjoying yourself with your fellow golfers. We have met many friendly folks here.

• Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank preretired

Thanks for taking time to post a review!

Reviewed 14 April 2009

I wish I'd found this place before. I'm not a golfer, but I stayed here because the hotel was convenient and economical. Believe me, I'm plotting my return. Even though I'm not a golfer.

You should know that this isn't a posh golf resort. But it's family-run, friendly, clean, economical and - when I was there, people were playing golf at 10 pm. While out on the grounds, I overheard golfers talking about what a bargain this place was for a golf vacation and saw license plates in the parking lot from a couple of states away.

But enough about golf. My room, granted, looked a bit dated in the decor - but I had a microwave and a refrigerator. It was comfy and clean. I had a first floor room facing the highway, but it was quiet (even with the golfers out and about.) I didn't intend to spend a lot of time in the room anyway.

The staff is friendly. So is the resident cat, who can tell who wants her around and who isn't interested. She sticks around the lobby area. There's also a pro shop and, I believe, a conference center there.

The restaurant on the premises is great for breakfast. The cuisine is down-home, country cooking. I noticed that some gas grills came out near the pool near evening. With Kroger and WalMart down the street for provisions, that's an option for those who aren't into the country cooking scene.

The hotel is on a US highway (US 127) and is between Harrodsburg and Danville, both of which have commercial chain strips on that same road, so you have other options for dining, if you so desire.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
5  Thank ShowHorseFan

Thanks for taking time to post a review. If you are ever back in the area, please stop by; 65 of our rooms have recently been remodeled. Thanks again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Harrodsburg
Baymont Inn and Suites Harrodsburg
Quality Inn Danville
Quality Inn Danville
#5 of 6 in Danville
Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill - The Inn

Been to Bright Leaf Golf Resort? Share your experiences!