“Rollin' on the River” 5 of 5 bubbles

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Rollin' on the River”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

I visited the Dixie Belle with my mom on a sunny Saturday afternoon. We happened to be driving by and noticed the sign "Riverboat" on the side of the road. We turned down the drive to find a sign indicating rides at 2:00 and 4:00. A quick google search led me to the Shaker Village website, where I learned that we could purchase tickets at the dock.
The boat docks on the Kentucky River. Dixie Belle is a two story vessel with a paddle wheel and fluted smoke stacks. The captains navigating quarters are located on the top deck and a concession stand on the entry-level floor immediately below. The lower deck is arranged with tables and chairs. The upper deck is uncovered and has bench seating.
The ride begins near the High Bridge and is narrated throughout. Keep your eyes peeled for passing trains and vast wildlife. We saw many types of birds (from cranes to vultures and beyond), turtles and fish. The boat travels several miles down the river before returning. A calm breeze helped keep us comfortable throughout the ride. Tickets are $10 each for adults.
It is my suggestion that you line up early. Boarding begins approximately 10-15 minutes before departure. Because we were lined up early, we were able to score seats on the lower deck near the front of the vessel.
This was a marvelous trip. My mom and I will definitely return. It was a very relaxing ride with great information regarding the area.

Visited June 2013
11 Thank 2ppltraveling

Danville, Kentucky
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Great boat ride. Narrator gives a lot of information. We traveled under one of the highest train bridges in the country and a train crossed. The grandson loved that.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank kygirl40422
Westminster, Colorado
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Lots of fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I went there on my trip to Lexington abd It was so nice and very relexing trip on the river. Got to meet many people as the boat was very full.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank Joymay51
Berea Ky
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Peaceful Journey”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

A ride on the Dixie Belle is a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon. I went on July 4th. It was anot really crowded and the scenery was wonderful. There were a lot of birds as well as other things to photograph. The whole trip made my photographers heart happy!

Visited July 2011
7 Thank kentuckywild
Mascoutah
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Pleasant and Peaceful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

The Dixie Belle Riverboat Ride is a part of the Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill. It is a one hour cruise along the Kentucky River pallisades, which are beautiful. I enjoyed the portion of the cruise that passes under the High Bridge railroad bridge. The guide provided an interesting narration about this bridge.

The ride is accessable, although access to the top deck requires climbing a narrow spiral staircase. Soft drinks and snacks are sold on-board and there are restrooms available on-board. This ride is a relaxing afternoon break during a day or afternoon of visiting the Shaker Village.

Access to the cruise requires a short and beautiful drive from the Shaker Village parking lot. When you purchase tickets at the village for the ride, the sales people remind you to allow 1/2 hour to drive from the village to the boat dock. They aren't kidding about this. Allow yourself time for the short drive because it is along a narrow, winding road.

Visited October 2011