“Lunch was amazing!”

The Trustees' Table
Ranked #1 of 35 Restaurants in Harrodsburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Dine on traditional favorites and seasonal Kentucky dishes prepared with straight-from-the-garden ingredients. Steeped in tradition, The Trustees' Table's menus celebrate Shaker Village's roots by featuring dishes made of seasonal ingredients from our garden and local farmers. Guests can count on finding classic Southern menu items, such as fried chicken, corn pudding, tomato celery soup, cole slaw and corn muffins. The menus also offer dishes inspired by the seasons, changing based on the freshest locally available ingredients.
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Lunch was amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

We were staying at the Inn and had the breakfast buffet which was very good but I would give it 4 stars probably as it is not really much more than every other buffet you see (except the awesome grits). W also had lunch and it was amazing!! Fresh tomatoes and cucumbers brought right out, delicious bread and ridiculously good tomato celery soup!!! We all had different lunches and everything was very fresh and tasty. The children's menu had several selections. Also highly recommend the lemon pie and unbelievable chess pie. Reservations needed, even for breakfast.

• Visited August 2013

Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great breakfast!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

The dining room had friendly staff, prompt service, great homemade biscuits with wonderful sausage gravy.

Visited July 2013
Delray Beach, Florida
“Best food and beverages in area.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Incredibly delicious and well-prepared FIID and alcoholic beverages. Property is expansive and gorgeous. Don't miss it !

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank carophant
Ellicott City, MD
“delicious dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

we ate here on Mother's Day and really enjoyed the large bowl of veggies that come with every meal, as well as the light as air corn pudding. The Shaker lemon pie was the perfect ending to a delicious dinner.

Visited May 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Food is good, but go for the overall experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

The food at the Inn at Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill, Kentucky is quite good and the servings are large. The meals are simple, fresh, basic, and very good though not outstanding. But isn’t that what Shakers are all about?

The Inn is more than a restaurant. It’s part of a Shaker Village preservation effort. If it was only a restaurant and I compared it to other restaurants in the same price range, I’d find it unimaginative and a bit pricey.

I ordered salmon on Mother’s Day and received a large serving, but it had little texture (it was baked), little taste, and it was covered with a little too much mustard sauce that was also pretty bland. Good, but not great, simply prepared. Others at our table ordered country ham. They were served enormous portions. I tasted it and found it good, but it’s salty and not the sugar-cured Kentucky ham I grew up with and prefer.

We were served an enormous bowl of crudités including olives and okra pickles, all fresh and wonderful. Several types of rolls and cornbread were also served and they were very good, as well.

My brown sugar chess pie was outstanding and I consider myself a chess pie aficionado — my grandmother made the best in the galaxy. The chocolate tarts two of us ordered, on the other hand, tasted like instant pudding. Another ordered strawberry meringue and loved it.

Much to my surprise (and I’m guessing to the surprise of Shakers everywhere), The Inn at Shaker Village has added alcohol to the menu. Three of us ordered wine but found it expensive and the servings stingy. My glass of California chardonnay cost $9 and was slightly less than half full. The others complained about the size of the pour, as well.

In comparison, I had a meal a few days later at Panzanella here in Carrboro/Chapel Hill, NC. My wife and I consider Panzanella to be just below the top tier of restaurants in the area, like Lantern, Elaines and Acme. I ordered salmon that was served grilled over orzo and it was far better than what I got at Pleasant Hill.

As I mentioned, though, The Inn is not an isolated restaurant, but part of a restored Shaker Village that shows off Shaker architecture, large dining rooms with Shaker designs and spiral staircases, oxen, Shaker barns, horses and carriages and a host of other delightful things to see and do. On a previous trip, I enjoyed their riverboat tour in the Kentucky River down the hill.
It’s a beautiful place to visit on a nice day with a lovely, simple dining room and very good, basic, farm fresh cooking. Just like the Shakers would want it.

• Visited May 2013