“Return visit and a chicken taste-off”
Review of Bon-Ton Mini Mart - CLOSED

Bon-Ton Mini Mart
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had some outstanding fried chicken here previously and went out of our way to return (OK, I admit I am one of those people who will drive pretty much anywhere for some great fried chicken, barbecue, oysters or a few other things). Noting that there was another nearby place noted for its fried chicken (see review of Mr. D's), we got chicken from both, spread it out and dug in. Bon Ton's chicken was perfectly cooked, crisp and delicious but I did not love the seasoning as much as I remembered from the previous visit. But it's still among the best fried chicken you'll ever eat. Get something other than the French fries, though, as your side.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Bon Ton's appearances can be deceiving but their fried chicken is wonderful. Crispy with a bit of a kick in the spicy seasoning of their secret recipe. The owner/main cook for the past 20+ years is retiring from the kitchen and is handing of the operation, but not the secret recipe, to her younger aids. She promises to stay involved. It is a bit of drive for me to get there, coming over the river from Indiana, but since they don't cook your chicken until you place your order, and the cooking takes about 20 minutes, I call ahead and it is usually ready by the time I arrive. The inside of the restaurant (former mini mart) may not be glamorous, the tables don't match, but the chicken will take your mind off those details. And they have home made pies! This place is well worth a stop if you like fried chicken, and chicken that hasn't been laying in a warming pan for hours. They have been featured on the Travel Network, so the word is getting out. I don't go often due to the distance, but when I need my fried chicken fix...I head to Henderson, Kentucky and the Bon Ton Mini Mart. Don't trust the Madison Street address on your GPS, for some reason it will take you to the wrong place. It is located at the intersection of US 41 and highway 136 south of the city.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Order ahead, grab your chicken and go to Audubon State Park! I'm pretty much an expert on fried chicken and it's special here--- salty, crispy, a little spice and just the right amount of greasy. I had the two piece white meat and added a chicken leg. My sides were slaw and potato salad. Everything was good and, of course, we had pie too! Chocolate meringue made the old fashioned way--- it was hard to pass up the pecan and chess. I ordered 30 minutes in advance and enjoyed a day at the park. I know the short hikes took care of the calories!?

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Pretty good piece out of the way but I wanted to try their fried chicken. It has been featured on the air and in print. They cook every order after it is requested. I waited about thirty minutes for mine. This is a local place and friendly folks run it and eat there. The chicken was good. It was spicy and crisp.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Watched a show about Bon Ton and made it a point to stop by. The fried chicken was just as advertised. Absolutely delicious.