“good place to stay for Mammoth Cave”

Knights Inn Horse Cave
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Horse Cave
Reviewed 30 December 2012

overall, we enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was nice to have as there were few restaurants around. The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. some minor cons: no fan in bathroom led to steamy room post showers, elliptical did not work (but treadmill did) in fitness room, and housekeeping did not repect the "green" instructions...we hung up our towels but they were still taken and laundered (a pet peeve of mine).

that said, it is a shor (10-15 min) drive to Mammoth cave national park and served us well.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Long time Hampton Inn guest; this Hampton was a very general Hampton, met my normal expectations....once we got there! We followed our GPS and it landed us in the middle of Mammoth Cave State Park, on a creepy one lane road. At night. We had passed a few farmhouses and were really wondering where we were going. But of course, you know from horror movies that you can't stop at farmhouses, because they will tie you up and torture you. So we kept driving. At one point, we were afraid of getting a flat tire, or hitting a deer, and then being stuck out in the creepy woods at night...and I didn't want to run through the woods, because I'm sure I would have fallen and something that was chasing me would have caught me...anyway, this all happened a few days before Halloween, so maybe our imaginations were running wild. Or maybe not. But don't believe your GPS, the hotel is RIGHT OFF I-65. Don't go into the woods! Front desk says they get an average of 3 calls a day, would be good to have this a little warning on the website. Oh, and stay in a room on the opposite side of I-65.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My family stayed here for a short visit to Mammoth Cave. This was our third time, as Hampton is clearly the best choice in the area. Room was very spacious and clean, with a king, a pull-out, and room for a rollaway bed. Pool and hot tub were kept at perfect temperatures. Staff was very friendly and helpful.
My problem came from the other guests, a large percentage of them barefoot in the breakfast area. Isn't this a health code violation? I have kids and I get that it's common to see the little ones in their jammies and socks, but adults and teens with their dirty feet up on the chairs made us lose our appetites. Pretty sad that they need a sign to remind people of what they should already know.

1  Thank melindabwc
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Loved the hotel. Called Joyce to ask for a fridge and microwave and 1st floor rm. She was extremely nice! Teresa checked us in. I had no service with Verizon, she actually texted my father from her cell to let him know I had arrived and we were safe. She helped me with a few local numbers so I could get my children a quick snack. My kids loved the pool and the breakfast was yummy! Couldn't believe they actually had bacon! We were there Thanksgiving morn and the breakfast attendant was nice as well. Overall a good night stay!

1  Thank counrtygirleasttn
Reviewed 21 November 2012

The location along I-65 is very convenient. It's easy-on and easy-off the interstate without a bunch of traffic. The hotel is clean. The breakfast is good. Check-in was quick. If all you need is a room for the night, this is a good place to stay.

1  Thank mwb1266
Reviewed 15 November 2012

This was a nice choice and another clean, comfortable hotel. Reservation 800 number had trouble finding this location until I provided the complete address. I was then told they were sold out and that the next city was also sold out. I asked the reservationist if it was past the cut-off time for cancellations, thinking something might open. She then said something had just opened up and gave me a room at the desired location. When I arrived at the hotel I was told they had 58 empty rooms, and the hotel in the next town had over 30. Must be something wrong with the reservation system at the 800 number. For anyone who is told the Hampton Inn is full, try calling the hotel directly.

The beds at this location were very comfortable, but breakfast was cold. When I brought it to the attention of the morning desk clerk she said the pans were on high so she didn't think there was a problem. The clerk on the night shift was very pleasant and helpful and check-in was fast.

We did not receive a bill under our door in the morning and had to ask for a receipt upon checkout.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed here two nights this past weekend. We arrived back at the hotel late both nights, so we did not have the chance to use the public pool or whirlpool.

The room we booked, a whirlpool suite, was VERY nice size. The whirlpool jets, unfortunately, did not work. We declined to call the front desk, as it was 11:30pm on our second night when we found this out (too late for it to be repaired, as we had a long drive the next day). However, my wife sent a tweet to Hampton's Twitter account concerning the problem. We received an e-mail promptly from the general manager, and the response was very satisfactory.

The location is excellent - a minute or so from I-65. The breakfast was quite good, with a good selection (ham, danish, toast, etc). Overall, this was a great choice for a hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
15 mi away
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#2 of 4 in Glasgow

Been to Knights Inn Horse Cave? Share your experiences!