“Nice Place to Relax”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Jamestown
Dry Ridge, Kentucky, United States
“Nice Place to Relax”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Lake Cumberland State Resort is a awesome place to unwind and relax for the weekend. They have a pool, mini golf, Frisbee golf, and horse back riding. There is something for everyone in the family here.

Room Tip: Any room is nice I'm sure.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ponce Inlet, Florida, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We have been going there for over 27 years and the property has declined to the point that we will not return! the exterior of the lodge and the grounds are in terrible condition! The restaurant's buffet food is unsafe to eat as many of the vegetables and some of the meats are barely warm! We have notified the health department.

It is too bad as this is a beautiful property that is one of the best state parks in the USA.

Room Tip: If you go, ask for the 2nd floor near the main lodge; 201 to 212.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Donnie D
Williamstown, Kentucky
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Lake Cumberland is a beautiful treasure, sadly the people taking reservations do not understand the length required for a 5th wheel! First reservation blunder was to tell me I could not add two days to my stay, after looking on line I saw that there were plenty of open sites. So I called back and the reservationist said I could change sites and stay for the extended stay. When we arrived at our site, one for a 30 foot 5th wheel (not) it would not fit into the site. So we had to travel back to the check in station and the attendant gave us a list of sites, most sites we could not even turn around or back up into. Finally we found a site and all was well, but I did notice that for the entire week ( the one the reservationist said was all booked?) we were one of 8 campers in the entire park. Oh if you are traveling and hoping for a dip in the out door pool beware it is closed but the Lodge was gracious and letting the campers swim in the indoor pool. The park like most needs some TLC but was a nice get away after we were settled. I really hope this helps to iron out issues with reserve america in helping campers with their reservations envolving bigger RV's. Kentucky should consider a redesign in the campground to help with this issue.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa H
Frankfort, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at Lure Lodge at Lake Cumberland for an overnight work conference. The Lodge was okay. Everything was great-to me-for a one night stay. The scenary is beautiful! The staff is very friendly. The lodge rooms were clean but still kind of not so clean. Seemed like no one has stayed in my room in a long time, dust, spider webs... But other than that my stay was great. Oh an the wi-fi was out during our stay, which kind of sucked, but I sat out on my room's balcony and listened to the lake and nature... very peaceful. The restaurant was good, nothing to get too excited about, but it got me full (which is great).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank iJWhitty
Fort Thomas, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent Friday and Saturday night of Memorial Day weekend at the lodge. It is definitely nothing fancy but it gets the job done. It was clean, the people are very friendly. We of course spent most our time on the lake. Breakfast at the lodge was good. It's just like any other state park property outdated and needs funds. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank TakeMeAwayy
WV
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here on three occasions and there is always something wrong in the dining room. Busy weekend with no buffet, busy weekend and little wait staff, etc. I love the park, rooms are very clean, pool is nice but dining service is horrible.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank loopdloops
USA
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Before you choose to stay at a state park lodge, you must ask yourself....are you a traveler or a tourist? Either are fine, you just need to be honest with yourself and know. A traveler, travels for the experiences...a tourist is there to see the sites and move on. Some trips you might be both and some times just one or the other. If you are thinking about staying at a state park - you must consider yourself a traveler and go for the experiences you will have.

We stayed recently at Lure Lodge. The scenery was beautiful and there were many things for us to do. Yes, you are isolated there and at the mercy of the restaurant - but you can also pack food to take with you for lunches. Although, if you are staying in the lodge, there are no mini fridges in your room, so bear that in mind.

From the outside, the lodge looks a bit 'rustic', but the rooms directly next to the lodge were all being remodeled. Our room was clean, bright, and welcoming. Each room has a balcony that looks out over the lake and makes up for the rustic appearance on the outside of the rooms. I stayed with my two young boys and felt very safe in the environment.

The swimming pool is heated - and I mean, really heated! You didn't have to 'talk' yourself into getting in with your children. The shallow end was 3.5 and it quickly dipped down to 5' with the deepest end at 9'. Personally for a family friendly venue - this is really too deep. My 9 year old could barely touch the bottom without going under after about 2 feet from the side of the pool. The entry is a ladder rather than the gradual steps. But, it was nice and big and the hot tub was also nice and big.

For the kids - and grownups, there are tennis courts, basketball courts, two playgrounds, plenty of green space, geocaches, and trails. A short distance away was a fish hatchery that while on the one hand you would think....really, fish hatchery...but...we went...and were thoroughly engrossed in the whole thing.

The lodge had some water damage after freezing pipes this winter, so they were remodeling the dining room. The wait staff went out of their way to be accommodating to the guests as the dining tables had been moved into the lounge and they had a limited menu for lunch and dinner. However, the food was good - and it was hot!

I would stay there again, we enjoy traveling to the state parks and getting out into the great outdoors. The stay was relaxing and enjoyable. Cable television kept the children entertained when they weren't playing outside or in the pool/gameroom. Watch for specials on overnight stays and our recommendation is to ask for the rooms directly next to the lodge.

Room Tip: Choose a room next to the lodge.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank travelwitch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Best Western Lake Cumberland Inn
Timber Pointe Resort
Timber Pointe Resort
#1 of 4 in Jamestown
Kozy Haven Log Cabin Rentals

Been to Lake Cumberland State Resort? Share your experiences!