“Now a regular venue for dinners and lunches”
Review of The Bear Inn

The Bear Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Beyton
Price range: US$17 - US$37
Cuisines: European, Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are an independent Pub Restaurant serving great quality, home made pub food. Our bar is open seven days a week, and we serve food from Tuesday to Saturday 12noon to 9pm, and Sunday 12noon to 6pm. We serve British food with a contemporary twist, using quality locally sourced ingredients.
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We can join the long list of good reviews for this pub with great quality food. Well kept and interesting beers to start with, short but adequate wine list and a menu to suit all tastes, including veggies. In fact, they're quite happy to make something from scratch if someone wishes - you don't get that everywhere. For me, a difficult choice from the excellent starters but as I don't have a particularly sweet tooth, I've taken to having a new choice of starter while everyone else has their chocolate and sugar hit. There are also small "taster" portions of desserts, which go down very well in our group. Reasonable prices and the atmosphere is fine actually. The dining area is uncluttered and actually presents quite a relaxing area to eat and chat.

1  Thank Gastrobods

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This pub was completely off our radar, and we thought we knew all the good places to eat round BurySt Edmunds. The menu is different from a lot of pub food because it is more imaginative. We really enjoyed our menu choices and thought it was good value. Service was attentive and friendly. If we had any criticisms it would be that the dining room feels a bit sparsely decorated so it lacks ambience, and Adele was on a loop on the sound system! But these were minor quibbles, we liked The Bear very much.

3  Thank lyndybob
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We went for Sunday lunch after reading reviews on TripAdvisor and I must say the reputation is well deserved! We hadn't booked but that wasn't a problem and we had a drink in the garden before going through to the restaurant. The food was fantastic, the staff relaxed and friendly and the overall experience was very impressive. My wife had the chicken liver parfait followed by the roast beef and I had the ham hock terrine followed by the duck. I especially recommend the duck which was so succulent and perfectly cooked and the accompanying vanilla mash was wonderful. For desserts we had the apple crumble with custard and the panna cotta with rhubarb and both were really nice. All in all a great meal and we will definitely be going back - and bringing friends.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our family just loves this pub! We found it originally as its half way between us. Really great food, best gravy I've tasted in ages, and a really great service. We're not the easiest family to feed with vegetarian and gluten free members, however nothing is too much trouble and they even made gluten free bread especially for us. Food presentation today was fabulous and my daughter said her homemade burger was the best she had ever tasted. I can't recommend this pub highly enough and look forward to another family occasion soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We went for lunch on Saturday.
This is exactly how a village pub should be run. Amazing food coupled with a friendly welcome in comfortable surrounding, we ate in the bar while enjoying the old boys having their lunchtime pint. The sea bass on basil mash and sauce vierge was out standing as was the haddock and chips with fabulous chunky tartare sauce. Both dishes were beautifully presented and substance certainly equalled style.
A stroke of genius on the dessert menu is 'taster' size puds. What could we do but try the chocolate fondant and sticky toffee pudding.
I want to marry the chef

2  Thank Zattack