“Perfect Country Pub”

Price range: US$11 - US$26
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Major things are happening at Stansfield Compasses; the local farmer is supplying the pub with beef, lambs, turkeys, rare breed pigs, wild venison and game of all sorts. Next year, we will growing our own vegetables, herbs and salads in a smallholding next to the pub. We are also starting a microbrewery in the farm using barley, wheat and eventiually hops grown in the farm. This will be powered by our solar farm and a bio-mass converter and the water will come from our own borehole. Our artisan baker makes bread from grain from the farm and is traditionally ground in a windmill at Pakenham. We believe in local not because of air miles etc but because it tastes so much better.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

As soon as you walk in you are greeted with a warm and down to earth atmosphere (unlike some other rural establishments unless you pull up in a range rover). The staff immediately asked where we would like to sit unusual when you have children and attended to our every need with friendly banter, the cordials are amazing I had the plum and chilli, lime and rubarb which you have to try as they sell their own produce including cordials, condiments and free range eggs which come from the farm which we didn't visit but definitely will next time. We all had the homemade roasts which weren't out of this world but had a good portion of vegetables, crispy potatoes and extra yorkshires that we politely asked for (and were not charged) but the homemade berry pie with ice cream was delicious just like my grandparents used to make and was only a pound extra on the price of a roast. Overall I think this is a perfect country pub to visit and the burgers look amazing which I will have to try on our next visit.

2  Thank Jodi H
There are newer reviews for Stansfield Compasses

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We visited this pub at the end of May 2014. (We actually stayed overnight in the car park in a motorhome.) The welcome was very friendly and the staff were more than happy to tell us about 'their' pub. The food is mostly locally sourced including from the farm behind the pub. The garden area was well kept with a small 'farm' to keep children amused and hand washes which was thoughtful. They are intending to start a micro-brewery soon (and have a 'mobile' brewery at present). No beer from this was available but the beer on tap was well kept and good. The chef (under employed as we were the only persons in on our visit) was proud of his smoker and recommended the smoked chicken breast. It was to die for very tasty. That, coupled with freshly cooked (not overcooked) veg, and the tastiest chips I have had in a long while - skins on crispy outside, fluffy inner and dry not oily - rounded a nice meal off. The whole meal with a drink gave change out of £15 per person. It was a delight and, although a bit out of the way it is a venture that I would return to visit and deserves support.

2  Thank Clive_C54
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We were really looking forward to visiting now that they had opened the little farmstead as we had our children and grand daughter coming to stay.

Things looked promising as there was a charming guy in the car park smoking turkey and brewing beer and selling a range of interesting produce.

Inside has been renovated reasonably well and has character, but lacks a little bit of warmth.

However the food and the service, were at best poor.

We sat at our table for a long time before gaining some attention from the waitress and had to remind them to even bring us any menu's.

The pulled pork rolls were cold. The hand cut "chunky chips" were skinny and soggy, and my daughter's Sunday roast came without any vegetables at all and never materialised throughout the whole meal. The roast was beef which was extremely tough.

I ordered a steak with béarnaise sauce which didn't come. When I asked the waitress for the sauce she apologised and came back with a squeeezy tube of mayonnaise. When I said I had ordered béarnaise sauce, she disappeared into the kitchen and came back to say I should have ordered it at the start as it would take 15 minutes. I pointed out that I had ordered it and got a blank stare.

Service and the kitchen need to improve hugely if this place is to succeed, in what is a quiet location.

3  Thank matt w
Steve B, Owner at Stansfield Compasses, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

I do not understand why you did not mention any of this at the time when we could have done something about it if you were not happy; surely that is the best course of action rather than saying nothing and going home to write a review
If you visit again, please make yourself known so we can take appropriate action

Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

Such a shame !!!
Our second Sunday visit this month.
The Sunday menu read as extremely appetising but ..... we could pretty much see our own breath because it was so cold inside.
It would be lovely to eat here but please get the fire going properly and the heating on well before opening.
Toasty and cosy as a village pub should be is the aim please.
We really hope this significant point is noted as it's a lovely pub and when it reopened last year you couldn't get to the bar for customers.
Not the case now .....

Steve B, Owner at Stansfield Compasses, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Many apologies; we ran out of oil because we are not yet used to living in the country and had not checked the tank.
Very sorry

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Unusual menu ( nettles on toast ? ) but really very good. They are using all local produce and it works very well; the food was excellent. Very friendly staff and a lovely location; I can't wait to come back in the summer to sit in the garden and look at the lovely view