“This can't be a Holiday Inn Express”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in La Grange
Toronto, Canada
“This can't be a Holiday Inn Express”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

By far the worst HIE we've ever stayed at. It reeked of stale odours, the second floor's permanent smell of smoke will gag even smokers themselves and the third floor, where we stayed, had more chemical scents, to mask God knows what, than a DuPont plant. The decor is very suitable if you're looking to film a 1970s themed movie: the back stairs are so original (definitely more convenient that the slow creaking elevator) that I had to immortalize them in a picture in case some decorator might destroy this historic memento. Wear your slippers in the room and possibly in the shower as well. The staff was, shall I say, there. Would we stay there again? No not really, we could have saved $120.00 and stayed at a highway rest area. Oh and BTW, how about cleaning that mess behind and on the sides of building?

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank E M I
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear E M I,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27544291

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Whitby, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed here on our way to Nashville. It was not the best holiday inn we have ever been too but it was perfect for what we needed, a bed to sleep on for a few hours. The hotel and our room were clean. The staff was nice. There is not a whole lot more we could have asked for after 11 hours in a car. A few complaints we did have were;

1. my boyfriend found the pillows to be quite hard
2. the walls were very thin often it sounded as though people were trying to get in to our room when they were putting their keys in the doors on either side of us and we were woken very early to people banging their doors.
3. the bacon in the morning I found to be way too overcooked. I believe it was the microwavable bacon which is fine but it was cooked to the point that it would crumble if you tried to pick it up with a fork and left me feeling like i was eating wood shavings.

Despite these few complaints we would stay here again if we were ever passing though the area again and needed a place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
hurley562,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J
IHG Care
SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Arrived only to learn had reserved in La Grange GA. Natasha at front desk called them and fixed for me. Great service I will be back

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank TuesdayWednesday
The Ville - The Best College Sports Town in America
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I dont think so....this was probably a Days Inn or some other bottom tier hotel that recently got a new sign and coat of paint.

All hotels in Louisville were recently sold out so i put a business associate in this hotel for one night...I went up to his room to help him check in and was very surprised by the poor quality and dirty condition of the place...cheap furniture in the room.

i have stayed in many Holiday Inn Express hotels and i have never seen anything on this poor level of overall quality.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ross_in_Louisville

Travellers are raving about these La Grange hotels

Okemos, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We usually plan our trips to the smallest detail. This time we only planned the first night. We chose this using a smart phone , looking for a hotel between Louisville and Cincinnati. We called ahead and asked for a top floor room. Also, non-smoking room. Hotel is not huge , but you have to walk PAST smoking rooms to get to the non-smoking rooms. Ugh. The hallway STUNK by the smoking rooms. I felt like my clothes smelled of smoke , it was so pungent!
Room was okay, looked the the normal Holiday Inn Express at first glance. Then I realized the furniture holding the microwave and fridge was not what we usually see in a Holiday Inn Express.Either they chose a cheaper option when decorating or purchased the cheap looking piece on their own. It didn't fit the rest of the room. Doesn't affect your stay, but it took away from the general impression.
The bathroom was NOT clean. There were long, dark hairs on the white tile floor. GROSS!
I gingerly picked them up with toilet paper to throw them away. It was obvious no one had cleaned the bathroom floor if the hairs were there. The tub was clean, though. We did appreciate the sink and hairdryer area was out side of the bathroom. That makes getting ready in the morning easier. That area was clean.
The mattress seemed comfortable at first. Be forewarned,the mattress is very soft. I had a very sore back in the morning.
Breakfast was adequate, but the pan cake machine doesn't make very good pancakes. The cinnamon rolls were dried out. Too much time under heat lamps.
We didn't have a problem any of the staff, but we really didn't have much interaction with them.
Thank goodness we paid AARP rates, because it wasn't that great. Wasn't horrible, but wasn't great. Had a better deal at a Wingate by Wyndham in Lima, Ohio the night before.

Room Tip: Our room was adequate. I would have ranked it higher , if the bathroom had been cleaned better and...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stategt
La Grange
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I completely loved my stay and enjoyed fantastic service. I stayed the weekend with a conference group for my job and the food service was great as well as the front desk service and the house keeping service. I accidentally left some items in the room after checking out and housekeeping was very friendly and quick to work with me and get them sent to my home.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Sam I
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Let me start off by saying the beds were great.

However, I feel like I was beta-testing this hotel.

First, check your door when you leave as it may not be locked. The electronic lock on the first room that we had was not functioning. We complained and were moved to a new room.

Second, the AC wasn't fully functional in our second room which left us uncomfortable for the night.

Third, the owner took the cheap way out with respect to the TV, purchasing what must have been the last batch of CRT-based Zenith products. Not only were they small, ours commenced to losing its picture and making a loud racket after about 20 minutes of operation. Speaking of cheap - the owner is cutting corners with standard definition cable but this isn't a problem unless you're looking at the large high-def TV in the breakfast room.

The pancake maker was also on the fritz. I didn't mind but the kids did.

Finally, the afternoon / evening desk clerk was pretty rude. The assistant manager was informed about these issues during our checkout (there was a long list of previously identified issues with various rooms on this notepad) and we were told that the manager would call to discuss our concerns. We're still waiting for that call three days later and have pretty much given up hope of receiving it. So much for that satisfaction guarantee.

Again - the beds were great. However, if the other things matter to you, especially room security, stop in Louisville or drive to Cincinnati - or choose another hotel in the neighborhood and let this one wither on the vine and die.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
#4 of 4 in La Grange
Drury Inn & Suites Louisville North
Hampton Inn Louisville-Northeast
Hilton Garden Inn Louisville Northeast

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!