“Wish we could take this place with us as we travel...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lexington Northeast
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Westminster, Maryland
“Wish we could take this place with us as we travel...”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were in Lexington only one night, but would come back here again. The staff was friendly and attentive, our room was spacious and bright, the common areas were attractive and comfortable, and the breakfast was quite nice. Mmmm...cinnamon rolls.

Room Tip: We had room 301, a corner room on the top floor, with windows on two sides. If you are a light slee...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Korean first
Marion, NC
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My kids and I stayed here Friday night, October 4th after visiting Keeneland Race Course. We have stayed here two or three other times prior to this and have enjoyed it every time.

This time, however, the staff went above and beyond to help us on Saturday morning. I sent my son and his friend, both 10 1/2 years old, to the car to get some medicine, but instead they started horsing around and dropped my ring of keys down the storm grate at the front of the car. Needless to say, I was highly upset, as the keys to my whole life were on there: house, vehicles, master keys for the college campus where I work, keys to my parent's home and vehicles, etc. I spoke to "RJ" at the front desk. She was extremely calm, friendly and helpful and called her maintenance person to come in to help, thinking he could run a pipe snake with a magnet on it to pull up the keys, about 10-12 feet below the surface. Before he arrived, however, Mariella, another employee, came out to take a look and got a third employee, Poncho, to come help. Poncho found two long pieces of some type of wire, used pliers to crimp them together and form a hook on one end. Then he laid down on his belly and reached his hand and arm as far down the grate as possible and fished the wire around until he hooked our keys and pulled them out of the drain. With titanium rods in my back, even if I had the equipment, I could not have done that. I was elated. When we went back in the hotel, RJ even asked to take my keys and clean and sanitize them from the "gunk" in the storm drain.

If this isn't top-notch service, I don't know what is!!

As if a very clean, comfortable room and hot breakfast (w./eggs, gravy, biscuits, sausage, bacon, cereal, yogurt, etc.) weren't enough to keep us coming back during spring and/or fall meet (at Keeneland), the exceptionally kind and helpful staff will continue to make this our favorite spot in Lexington.

P.S.--The front desk person from Friday evening was also very friendly, but I forgot to take down his name.... Jon, I believe.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MichaelMarion
Benson, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We were traveling to Branson, MS by way of St. Louis and spent one very restful night at this Holiday Inn Express. We were very tired after driving for 9 hrs. The staff were friendly and very helpful. The free coffee and breakfast was just what we needed to start our second day of travel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We happened to stay the same night as a lot of screaming girls in town for a concert, so we got to really test the way sound carries from the hall. I don't know that any hotel walls and door can block THAT out, though.

Check in was a bit strange -- I had booked online and had an email confirmation for a king bed, but they ended up putting us in room with two doubles instead. When I looked surprised, the man checking us in shrugged and said that's not what he had on file -- no explanation. Okay then... same rate as my original quote, so I guess that's fine. Just strange. He also gave us bad keys, so that was unfortunate. (The woman who helped us when we returned for usable keys was MUCH more friendly!)

Other than that, the room was nice -- not all HIE's have fridges AND microwaves, but this one did. Wifi was pretty solid, too (they have boosters all over). Breakfast was standard. I will say I was a bit shocked that this is so highly ranked in Lexington -- all of the fixtures, especially in the bathroom, were a bit off-kilter. I can't imagine what OTHER hotels must be like if this is one of the best in the area.

I wouldn't say the location is prime, but it's no more than a ten minute drive to downtown. And, if chain restaurants are your thing, there are PLENTY of those in the hotel's immediate area.

2 Thank radioactive_piano
Columbus, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This was a very clean well maintained hotel. Area is very good, plenty of food options within walking distance. Room was very clean, well maintained. Breakfast was good continental with some hot items. Short drive to University of Kentucky.
Only complaint was rude staff in the evening but very pleasant staff the next morning. Wouldn't keep me from staying again.

Room Tip: We were on first floor, which I really liked but we were the first room past the hallway that has th...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jo H
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I liked this place as the property was modern and clean and the staff were most kind and helpful. The hotel has a good pool, which, given temperatures in the 90s, was most welcome.

I liked the location of the hotel as it was near restaurants and shops etc.

Southampton
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We had a very nice stay here in this home from home sort of place. The staff were very friendly, helpful and professional and this was most appreciated. Breakfasts were ok but some fresh fruit salad would have been nice (just a suggestion).

I would have given this place 5*s had there not been a couple of minor niggles:
Noisy air-con
No bread available at breakfast on our first day
Wi-fi on third floor non-existent necessitating trip to reception every time we needed access

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business