“Fantastic except the dining area”

Kentucky Horse Park
Ranked #2 of 122 things to do in Lexington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The only park of its kind in the world, the Kentucky Horse Park is a working horse farm, educational theme park and equine competition facility dedicated to man's relationship with the horse. Set on more than 1,200 acres in the heart of the Kentucky's famous Bluegrass region, the park is THE place to get close to horses! Featuring dozens of breeds of horse at work and at play, the park showcases the horse in daily equine presentations, horse drawn tours, horseback and pony rides, and an array of horse shows and special events throughout the year. The park's International Museum of the Horse, a Smithsonian Affiliate, is the world's largest equestrian museum. Offering both the experienced horseman and novice an opportunity to explore the many facets of humanity's relationship with the horse, the museum is dedicated to all breeds and disciplines of horse and covers some 50-million years of equine history. State-of-the-art technology complements rare artifacts and scholarly research to present a unique, educational, museum experience for all ages. The American Saddlebred Museum, the Showplace for Saddlebreds, celebrates Kentucky's first native breed of horse. The museum features interactive exhibits and a movie. With the park's own tourist activities and the numerous additional horse shows that take place in the equine competition facilities throughout the year, there can be a fair amount of walking involved, depending on visitor interest level. Comfortable shoes and clothing is recommended, appropriate for Kentucky's seasonal weather. Dogs and other pets are permitted on park grounds, as long as they are on a leash or in an approved carrier, although they may not be permitted in some buildings.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is a must see attraction in the Lexington area! The only draw back was the dining area. We arrived and were planning to eat before our first attraction at 1:00 pm. We got in line at 12 pm for just a sandwich, soup or salad. There weren't many eating and the line had maybe 30 - 40 people waiting. The register had one person taking orders. We waited until almost 12:30 and the line had moved only about 10 - 15 people. We left without eating. They need a better system!

The rest of the Horse Park was well worth it!

There are newer reviews for Kentucky Horse Park

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I found the museum in the Visitor's Center to be over-whelming, mostly because I like to read everything. We should have toured the park first and then go through the museum, because I was anxious to see horses, and the museum just went on and on. I really enjoyed the rest of the park. Being able to see retired champions was wonderful, and the Horses of the World show was awesome. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There is alot of walking involved, so wear comfortable shoes, and try to plan out your visit so you don't miss the shows you want to see. I didn't do the additional horse farm tour, and in retrospect, I wish I had told my friends I'd meet them later, skip the indoor museum part, and opt for the farm tour (2 hours, I think).

Reviewed 6 May 2014

What a way to spend a great time ! The Kentucky horse park is awesome from the museums to the horse drawn ride ,so many picture ops and memories galore! I can't wait to go back ! I went with family and everyone was satisfied what a wonderful day!!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I'm not really a horse person but I went with my wife to the Rolex 3 day event. It was well worth the time. I enjoyed every moment. The museums were interesting and the shows were fascinating.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This place is huge and most of it is outdoors. There are 2 museums included in the park price. We only had time for one of them. Be prepared to do a lot of walking. We were not there for a special event, we just visited the park itself. There are a couple of restaurants on the premises, but we did not check them out. They have a couple of horse shows, you can see and learn about retired Kentucky Derby winners, and see lots of horses. They have a nice gift shop. Nice place to spend a day.