“Loved it, but make sure you're out by 5:00.”
Review of Lexington Cemetery

Lexington Cemetery
Ranked #7 of 124 things to do in Lexington
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1824, this is considered one of America's most beautifully landscaped cemeteries.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We had gotten a map of the cemetery while at Ashland, Henry Clay's home, and since I'm a descendant of his, we thought we'd check out his tomb. It was impressive. There is a Basswood tree next to it that is the largest in the U.S. Lots of scenery and history throughout. It's definitely worth the trip. Since it was a hot day, we didn't get out a lot, but it's still nice to drive through. We thought it was pretty cool we seemed to have the place to ourselves, but about an hour later, we found out why. I've had a lot of strange things happen when traveling, but this is the first time I've ever gotten locked in a graveyard! There was a sign at the entrance that said the gates closed at 5:00, but we were already site-seeing when we drove in and were only looking at the map we had (which didn't have that little tidbit of info on it). Anyway, the very nice security guard let us out, and we have a great story to tell!

3  Thank pearce24601

Reviewed 17 June 2014

there is a ton of history that you feel in here-I was only there short time,,the WW1/WW2 Section was what I mainly saw.you can learn a lot about a place in its cemeteries

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed in Lexington two days to visit the horse farms and Kentucky Horse Park. We just happened to drive by here on day and decided to visit. This is one of the most beautiful cemetery's I've ever visited, you could easily sped a whole day here! Its a huge place with lots of old and new graves, some very unique. Also several ponds and fountains. If you have time and in the area I highly recommend going by here. They do close at 5:00pm though.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Many very old stones. Was impressed by Henry Clay's monument. It raises high above the grounds and tops the surrounding trees.
If interested you can stop by the office for a detailed map.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

This was so very peaceful yet so full of history. Being a genealogist this was quite an adventure. Don't be in Lexington and miss this.