“Drove by for many, many years” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waveland State Historic Site

Waveland State Historic Site
Ranked #30 of 116 things to do in Lexington
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience 19th century plantation life at this historic compound where you can tour the mansion or "big house," see quarters where slaves lived, visit a smokehouse and other elements of daily life in the Old South.
Paris, Kentucky
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Drove by for many, many years”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This old mansion and outbuildings are in great condition. The tour starts in the house and ends outside when you go through each outbuilding. It wasn't very busy the day we went, so we got a really detailed tour with lots of stories. The tour guide kept both kids engaged and it was a great learning experience. The grounds are great for taking family photos, so dress the kids up, grab a camera, and head over to Waveland for a photo session and historical tour!

2 Thank ahcanupp

Lexington, Kentucky
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wonderful place to visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Waveland is a beautiful historic site with lovely gardens and extended grounds for walking in . Playground for children is a nice plus. Great place for photography and is a favorite with local photographers.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Viki C
bluegrass state
178 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 217 helpful votes
“nice bit of kentucky history!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Went in the summer on our weekly mother son trips we called "Touring Tuesdays" This tuesday we went here. The tour was well led and very informative. There is small charge for the tour. The grounds were so pretty. Pack a picnic and enjoy your afternoon. There is a cute little playhouse on the property. You could do this one in the morning and Ashland the Henry Clay estate in the afternoon. Great Day!

Visited July 2013
lexington ky
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't listen to the bad reviews”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Waveland is great. It's not just a museum you can just go there anytime you want and walk around and let the kids play. The grounds are very pretty and it's just a nice place to go on a sunny afternoon. It's a very old house so expect an old house. You don't even have to go in. You can just enjoy the grounds for free. Even if you don't want to tour the house it's a nice place to visit.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank sarg1968
Amarillo, Texas, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Bryan family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

My grandmother was born a Bryan. It was her great-grandfather Joseph Bryan who lived in the plantation. My grandmother Bryan, my mother, my brother and I visited Waveland in 1993. My family has many stories to tell about the life and adventures of the Bryan family I like the one about the "whistle path." Ask your tour guide to tell you about it when you visit. I am working on a Master's of Education degree and I have chosen the history of Waveland as a project for my professional e-portfolio. We live in Texas now where for the most part, the Bryan family has been poor ever since. I have horses. My favorite is named Copper. He glistens in the sun as he dances in the pasture. I wonder if he dreams of Waveland like I do?

Visited July 2013