“Authentic Cuban food, very friendly service”

Old San Juan Cuban Cuisine
Ranked #120 of 901 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$5 - US$12
Cuisines: Latin, Cuban, Caribbean, Spanish
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Description: Homemade Authentic Cuban Food
Lexington, Kentucky
“Authentic Cuban food, very friendly service”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Family run place, that is very clean, and serves authentic cuban food with lots of smiles. I will certainly return again and again.

• Visited March 2014

Portsmouth, Ohio
“I recommend 100 percent!”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

While visiting Lexington, my friend and I stopped here at the recommendation of a Lexington local. My first impression was it was extremely small, very busy, and very clean. A table was found for us immediately. The Cuban couple who own/run this restaurant are absolutely lovely. They do not speak a lot of English but they speak enough to get your order correct. The menus have a brief explanation of what each dish is in English. I found the pointing method worked great. For your drink, you go over to a large cooler and make your selection. They have Coke products, but I suggest trying one of the many imported sodas available. My friend had some type of tangerine drink and I had Jarritos lime, which was excellent. I had the Cuban style Picadillo and it was love at first bite! Served with white rice, black beans, bread and fried plantains. My friend had the roast pork, and it was truly fork tender. The servings are very large, and I'm not embarrassed to admit I ate my whole serving. The food was spicy and flavorful, but not a "hot" spice. My friend finished his meal with a Mamey milk shake, which he said was great, but I went after another Jarritos lime to go. We both ate for about $24, including our drinks, which I would say was definitely worth it. I had never eaten Cuban before, but I can't wait to go back to Lexington just to eat here again. I highly suggest this place for anyone looking for something flavorful and different. You cannot go wrong here!

• Visited July 2013
Lexington,Kentucky
“Hidden Gem in Lexington ky”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Just stumbled on this restaurant ....mom and pop ....small...just owner and his wife...and the food is inexpensive, plentiful and REAL Cuban cuisine. I had roast pork, black beans, fried plantains with fresh bread and some sort of Cuban soft drink for less than $15.00. Excellent!!!!!

• Visited August 2012
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
“This is 100% Cuban”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I am Cuban, born in Cuba, lived in Cuba until I was 28, lived in Miami for 2 years, and I tell you the Cuban sandwiches in Old San Juan are among the best you can find anywhere in this country. They bake their own Cuban bread there, roast their own pork and put all the love a locally family owned business can only give. If calories is not an issue, Manolo's flans are phenomenal.

• Visited September 2012
Lexington, Kentucky
“Homemade Cuban Food in Lexington”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

This small restaurant and store is located close to New Circle and Nicholasville Road making it easily accessible from anywhere in Lexington. If you enjoy home made food you will love the Cuban sandwiches, Red Snapper, Rice and Beans, Fried Plantain. Wash it down with a soda or homemade pineapple shake. Old San Juan is run by a lovely couple who speak enough English to get your order. Try this restaurant when you have extra time as the food is made to order and you will wait for some things like the red snapper. This is not fast food...this is food that is prepared with care. Great for a long lunch on your day off!

• Visited June 2012