“Great stop for a couple hours” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Aviation Museum of Kentucky
Ranked #20 of 116 things to do in Lexington
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great stop for a couple hours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Our family (with two boys, 12yr & 6yr) stopped here while on a trip to Florida. We found the museum via a search on Trip Advisor. The hours and cost fit our expectations of a place that could be visited In a couple hours and seemed (according to Trip Advisor reviews) to be a good place for younger kids and adults.

The museum is not fancy but has several exhibits that can be played with by kids. This includes a real helicopter and a small two seater airplane. Also on display were detailed historical displays of aviation, several military jets, experimental aircraft, and some older mechanical flight training simulators.

What really made the visit super was Steve C., one of the volunteers. He used to be in the Marines as a flight engineer on C-119s. He helped demonstrate some of the exhibits and was great at showing the kids what the engines and planes did. He also highlighted how people from Kentucky were involved in aviation throughout history. And Steve setup one of the mechanical simulators for the kids to try.

Definitely worth the stop:)

3 Thank John B

Corydon, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Air Musuem from a 9 year old”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

October 2013

Dear National Aviation Museum,

Our tour guide Mr.Steven taught my parents and I something very,very, very cool. He taught me about different kinds of airplanes and how they work. He taught me how to tell a regular plane from a super sonic plane. He let me fly a plane but, not in the sky I got to go up and down side by side. There were World War I planes and the first plane invented! I thought that Steven was an amazing tour guide. Thanks Steven for teaching me about airplanes.
I plan to do my project on the National Aviation Museum.

Best regards,

Aryan (age 9)

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Katen P
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Very fun and interesting place. It's not very big but the planes and displays are very good and the staff is excellent. Go if your in Lexington

1 Thank Airwolflives
Lexington, Kentucky
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Love Airplanes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Loved that you could walk around on your own in the museum but someone to answer questions if you wanted. Summer camps for kids, top notch and educational.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank sbmorg01
Nicholasville, Kentucky
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“B-17: definitely something for your "bucket list"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

I couldn't stay away from the B-17 arrival and tour this weekend and I wasn't disappointed. Didn't have enough cash this time for the 30-minute flight on the B-17 ($425 inside, $625 for a nosecone seat) - but next time I'll have this puppy on my bucket list. This museum is great and is staffed by mostly volunteers who know their stuff. Lots of history to see in the hangar too. It is definitely worth a visit.

Visited July 2013