“Clarion was awful”

Ranked #25 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Louisville, Kentucky
“Clarion was awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

The Clarion was terrible. Not only were the rooms disgusting, it took 6 calls to receive a single towel. They refused to let my group use one of the many open conference rooms. The beds were extremely tiny in the rooms and the bathrooms were not clean when we arrived. My friends and I asked first for extra pillow and did not receive, then we had to call 6 times to receive a dry towel. This Clarion is old and outdated and I would not recommend a stay here.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center North, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
I am so sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay. I would love to speak to you directly to discuss the issues you experienced during your stay. We welcome and encourage feedback from our guest so we can work to improve for the future.
Once again I apologize and I look forward to speaking to you soon to discuss your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at 859-825-5020 or by email mmcguire@clarionhotellex.com.

Melissa McGuire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Milton, WV
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

My company put me up here for a night and this place stunk. Dated hotel, less than average bathrooms and the HARDEST MATTRESS I have ever slept on. I was somewhat looking forward to the breakfast buffet, but it was almost as bad as the mattress. The only thing that was not awful was the utensils. The food and drinks were crap. I would not recommend staying here. The Fairfield up the street is a much better option all around.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center North, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
I apologize that you were unsatisfied with your stay. We pride ourselves on providing a good clean room with great amenties and services. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like the Tempurpedic mattress. For your convenience we do offer two mattress options Serta and Tempurpedic, please request a Serta during your next visit. In regards to the complimentary hot breakfast buffet I would love to speak to you directly or get feedback about the food. We try to offer many options from eggs, hashbrowns, biscuit and gravy, to a waffle station, oatmeal, juice and coffee. I am so sorry that you didn't enjoy any of those options.
Once again I apologize and I hope to hear from you so we can discuss your stay in detail.
mmcguire@clarionhotellex.com
Bowling Green, Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel last week and found that some of the rooms that numerous coworkers and I stayed in were infested with mold so badly that several of us became ill with sore throats, severe congestion, and coughing. As soon as we walked into our room near entrance J I could smell that musty stink of mold with an odd paint smell mixed in, which I can only assume was their attempt to use Killz paint to hide any visible signs of fungi. When we would leave the room I would be able to breath much better, even in some of the hallways and conference areas, and had no problems at all in a friend's room directly across the hall from mine. I am happy to say that at least the mold in my room was hidden unlike my boss' s where it was said to be very visible and she was extremely ill from it.

Other delightful aspects of the hotel included beds that were what I can only imagine sleeping on a broken down cardboard box would feel like and room heaters that would only blow extremely cold air unless it was turned off for a while then turned back on and down to 61 degrees and slowly adjusted up to 68 degrees. Interestingly enough, if set higher then it blew air so cold it felt just like the below zero wind chill outside then for random short periods hot air would blow for a few minutes and it felt swampy. The free breakfast "buffet" was minimal and included decent scrambled eggs, odd tasting shredded potatoes with a rubbery texture, sausage links that I think may have been made in a Chinese dog treat factory, mediocre instant sausage gravy, hard biscuits, stale pancakes, and waffle makers that didnt have much waffle batter so don't go hungry! Oh and the cutest little shot glasses to drink juice out of! Bins of oatmeal, cereal, and stale white bread were also available to complete your morning dining experience, yummy! The attendants that were cleaning up were mostly very pleasant and attentive and deserve to be tipped even if the food is free, as it should be.

When we checked in Tuesday evening the two females working didn't exactly provide the best customer service, but I'll let that slide since later in my stay one older and one young gentleman assisted me with kind and fast customer service on seperate occasions that made up for the attitudes of the others. I was disappointed that the coffee machine in the lobby had espresso as an option, which I severely needed after rolling around in my cardboard bed trying to breath for two nights, but it was sadly unavailable. As for the Tempurpedic beds advertised, I got to sit on one that my friend had requested and found that these factory rejects were far from what anyone would ever believe to be the real deal. We did have some excitement during our stay as the fire alarms went off several times one day. Not sure if the dozens of high school students staying there had something to do with that or if there was something triggering these lengthy periods of squealing sirens, but that was fun!

I only went to the The Sports Page bar for a few minutes for a work sponsored event and found that the wings and fruit that they had available for us were pretty darn good, but the meatballs and cheese sticks should have been avoided. The bartender was super nice and attentive but the drinks were expensive at nearly $6 for well drinks in glasses not much bigger than the juice shotglasses at breakfast. I decided not to eat lunch at Cortland's buffet as planned after hearing horror stories from other guests.

One major piece of advice to anyone staying there would be to wait to unload your bags until you find out if your room key will actually work because you don't want to have to drag your luggage around for what could be a very, very long walk to the front desk. Also, request a downstairs room because as far as I could tell there aren't any elevators. I liked that I had a refrigerator and microwave in the room, which not everyone did so request one of those rooms if you have to stay here. The location seemed to be pretty good since it was next to the freeway and only minutes from a lot of great shopping and eating.

All in all its a huge and attractive facility on the outside, but there are some serious renovations that need to be done and changes that need to be made. I would start with finding a way to actually remove the mold instead of just paint over it, get real Tempurpedic beds for everyone, and work on that sad food selection and this place could have more potential to be a delightful choice for a conference facility and hotel. I do appreciate that a majority of the staff I dealt with did exhibit good or great customer service.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kamacel
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center North, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I am so sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your stay. I would love to speak to you directly to discuss these matters. We pride ourselves on providing a positive customer experience and would love to talk with you directly to ensure we are addressing these matters quickly.
While I can't be certain without talking with you I believe the room that you stayed in was a room with a Serta mattress. We do offer two mattress options since not everyone likes a Tempurpedic mattress. We offer a Serta and a Tempurpedic mattress "Classic" option. I apologize if you felt this was not a real Tempurpedic as it may be different than the Tempurpedic mattresses you have experienced.
In regards to the fire alarm, I apologize for the inconvenience however we always follow procedures to ensure the safety of our guest.

Once again i apologize and I hope to hear from you soon.

859-233-0512
mmcguire@clarionhotellex.com
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

My niece and I hosted a watch party for 63 people for the UK vs. U of L basketball game on December 28, 2014. The staff of the SportPage became like family as we had stopped by a couple of weeks prior to the game to make sure they were aware that we would be there. We had family and friends come in town from Western KY, WVA and surrounding communities to watch the game and to spend the night. We had the best time and everyone wants to make this an annual event. We can't thank Paula, Freddie, Erica, Ashley and Melissa enough for their service and kindness and during the game and after. The rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable. The children/teens in our group enjoyed the play area. We will definitely be back to the Clarion and the SportsPage .

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Clarionlex, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Lexington Conference Center North, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for choosing Clarion Hotel and The Sports Page to help host your event. We are so pleased to hear that everyone enjoyed themselves and we can't wait to see everyone again.

New Albany, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

We picked this hotel since the hotel (?) connected to Rupp Arena was sold out. We didn't plan on spending much time in the hotel since we were in town for the Luke Bryan concert but since that ended up being postponed till next month we actually had more time on our hands. This is a very clean nice hotel although the numbering system was a little confusing as I'm use to room numbers matching the floor number but that is not the case here. We were on the 1st floor but our room number was in the 500's. Room was very spacious and clean plus we were upgraded (since they were slow) to a Tempurpedic bed which was great. We wished we would have remembered our bathing suit as there is a very large indoor pool plus spa and gameroom. Our stay included a very tasty breakfast buffet at the restaurant there. We did not visit the bar but it seemed very nice. Only downfall was that we requested a late check out which was granted for only 30 minutes (since they were busy) BUT at 12pm (normal checkout time) our key cards quit working and we could not get back in the building and had to walk all the way around in 15 degree weather. Overall we enjoyed our stay and plan on rebooking for our visit next month. Lots of great wineries nearby made our trip outstanding.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for the great review. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you next month when you return to Lexington. I am so pleased that you found things to do in the area since the concert was cancelled.
In regards to the keys I apologize they are pre-programmed upon check-in with the original departure date and time.
Once again thank you for choosing Clarion Hotel.

Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed in the main part of the hotel (a suite w/adjoining king room). Rooms were very clean, memory foam beds, large pool, great play area. The staff was very helpful with anything we needed. We got the "stay and play" package and it was well worth it as we had 7 teens with us. Breakfast was wonderful. Wifi worked just fine. All in all a nice place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for choosing Clarion Hotel and for your wonderful review. We pride ourselves on offering a good clean room with great amenities. I hope that we will see you again in the near future.

Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Stayed two nights, Tues and Wed, Dec 17 & 18. Wifi was very slow the whole time. Spoke to the general manager on Wed morning and she was going to contact the company that provides the wifi. Had issues getting smart phone to work in room, worked fine in the hallway. On Thurs morning several guests were at front desk complaining about slow wifi. Two males at front desk laughed and commented about everyone knowing how fickle the internet is.

Room Tip: get room near desk and ask for general manager if wifi is extremely slow