“First "poor" review I have ever written.”

Microtel Inn & Suites By Wyndham Lexington
Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
knoxville, tn
“First "poor" review I have ever written.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I had made reservations at this hotel as I had stayed in it before with no problems and knew it to be clean, safe, and reasonably priced. They also allow pets and I had my dog with me. This time, I checked into the hotel with the usual uneventful check-in. Desk staff was friendly and quick. There were signs on the doors and in the lobby that said something to the effect of "pardon our mess... we are remodeling". So I got my room key, drove around to the outside entrance into the building nearest to my room and went inside. In the hallway were multiple large industrial fans blowing. They almost completely blocked the hallway, but I was able to weave through them to find my room. All the doors to the rooms previous to my room were wide open and there was a chemical smell of some sort, so I assumed they had been painting (remember the remodeling signs?) and went to my room. Upon entering the room, I discovered that it had a strong odor as well and appeared to be partially freshly painted. On the bedside table was a white powdery substance that I hope was plaster but didn't really want to find out. Not wanting to deal with the smell and the mystery substance, I went back to the front desk and explained the situation. They told me they had not been painting but had cleaned the carpets and that must be the smell. Then they gave me another room. This room was on another wing of the same side of the building. When I went into this room, my dog quickly leaped onto the bed. I led him back onto the floor and he immediately jumped back on the bed again as if he did not want to be on the floor. (Fleas?) Anyway, this room did not have a smell or a white powdery substance. Instead, it had a sticky gooey substance, a large spot of it, in the carpet on the far side of the bed. The room was "straightened" but did not appear particularly clean. I also noticed that this entire wing (including the hall w/ the fans) appeared to be abandoned. I had seen other people going in and out on the other side of the hotel and it did occur to me that perhaps, with the dog, they were putting me on the empty side that was having renovations. Deciding to ask for another room, I took my dog and went to my car to drive around. That is when I walked past the hooker in the parking lot who was busy working out a deal. Nope. Not staying. I did not even bother to let the desk know. I just left and found another hotel. I figured they would only give me yet another room and not refund my money. With "deals" going down in the parking lot, I decided I really didn't want to be out walking my dog at night and went to another hotel. For what it's worth, this is the third time I had been at this hotel and the previous two stays were fine. Perhaps after the renovations are over, it will improve.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
TERESA2240, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites By Wyndham Lexington, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Im terribly sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay with us, Our renovations are now complete on the first floor I do wish I was aware of this at the time that this happened I would have like to have been able to investigate the situations as well as the rooms. None of our hotel is ever abandoned we stay pretty full at all times we do however have certain pet rooms our pest control company sprays all rooms and inspects regularly for any insects. I do hope that you might give us another chance as you said this was the first bad experience I am terribly sorry this was unpleasant but would like the chance to prove to you that our hotel has grown and is getting better every day. Please no matter where you stay always report any activity to the front desk so it can be taken care of immediately. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to respond I appreciate your feed back and will definitely take all of this under advisement.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Terre Haute
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

The motel, price, breakfast and the staff were all so good that we decided to stay there again on our return trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

TERESA2240, Front Office Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites By Wyndham Lexington, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you for your comments I greatly appreciate all feed back I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and was glad to see you return with us. Thank you again for your comments as well as your business you are greatly appreciated.
Western Springs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

This hotel is at the very lowest rung of acceptable accommodations, but just barely. The room lighting was poor and the room was dark and dingy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Thank you for your comments I appreciate the feed back and will look into correcting the issues, our rooms are in the middle of being renovated and we are trying to remedy the lighting situation with the design given to us. I hope that this issue will be corrected soon. I do hope that you will come stay with us again when you are in the Lexington area.