“Roadside BBQ joint worthy of DDD”
Review of Red State BBQ

Red State BBQ
Ranked #6 of 945 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We really enjoyed lunch here while passing through Lexington. This small roadside joint has good smoked BBQ and nice side dishes but it's not as outstanding as its #1 Tripadvisor ranking might lead you to believe.

If you are choosing between fast food and here, you definitely must come here. It's close to the highway and much more interesting than another fast food stop. You can get a meal with 2 sides for around $8 which is a great value. My pulled pork was very moist and flavorful. My wife's brisket was good, but slightly on the dry side. They have bottles of several sauces on every table - mustard, sweet, spicy and vinegar - which were all good and fun to sample.

As for the sides, I liked the corn pie a lot. The baked beans were good but had too much shredded pork in them - there were almost no beans. The coleslaw was a little bland but not too mayonaissey. The beer cheese grits were also good but a little too "beery".

I would definitely recommend Red State - just don't get your expectations up too high.

1  Thank baseball_dad

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Gotta luv it!!!!! Everything made fresh daily....Need more Bread Pudding Daily,,,,,,Enjoy keep up the Good Work

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Made three visits within a week. Pulled pork plate is delicious and every side we tried was good. We had corn pudding, baked beans, cole slaw, beer cheese grits and french fries. All the sides are homemade daily but portions of sides could be a little larger. On one of the visits we had barbecue sandwiches to go while we were traveling. Not a good idea. There is so much pork you need both hands. The peach bread pudding is very good but the last time we visited they were out of the bourbon ice cream which makes it even better. Delicious. Service has been great.

1  Thank jean y
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have a feeling someone has been padding the books on Red State BBQ. It was good BBQ, even very good, but #1 restaurant in the Lexington area? I do not think so. I would think the atmosphere would have to count for something. This is not your sit down fancy place at all. It is CLOSE to US25, I mean close. Those big trucks go by at 60 miles an hour, you feel it.

BBQ Very Good
Beans Excellent
Cole Slaw Good, too running for creamy type
Beer Cheese Grits Good, probably real good. Tasted just like the name, but TOO beer cheesy for my taste
Deserts Do not know, because they were out of their signature items, on a Saturday night

I like how they had four or five different sauces on each table to choose from.

People were GREAT, the people and the BBQ are the BEST qualities at Red State.

All and all, I would go back because their BBQ is very good.

1  Thank koko0707
radiodavelex, Owner at Red State BBQ, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear koko0707,

I'd ask that you please take a moment to read the prior reviews of our restaurant and where those contributions are coming from. It would be impossible for us to pad them. Of late we've been getting two, sometimes three reviews per day. Many are from Senior Contributors and Senior Reviewers such as yourself. In addition, Red State has the good fortune of being close to the Kentucky Horse Park where hundreds of thousands of people visit each year and two miles from I-75 where just over 50,000 travelers pass exit 120 on a daily basis. That's why you'll see reviews from Saint John, Michigan or Baraboo, Wisconsin, and from as far away as the United Kingdom.

Either way, we apologize for your subpar dining experience, but thank you for taking the time to review our food and your dining experience.

David Carroll
Owner,
Red State BBQ
859-797-4361

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Holy cow great bbq !!! Go here and eat!!! BBQ was awesome and the sides were alllll great!! Best service!!! Go go go u will love it!!!