“Meh...seems like ok candy”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ruth Hunt Candy Company
Ranked #6 of 25 Shopping in Lexington
Tampa, Florida
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Meh...seems like ok candy”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Chocolate, just like beers are entering a great period. So many craft breweries making a major change in beer drinking. Well, the same thing has been going on in Chocolate. Look at Mass brothers, Vosges and a growing number of just top of the line chocolates. These folks seem to be riding the established name and flavor profile their customers are used to. Take some risk. Your younger, food conscious consumer or wealthier long term consumer is likely cheating on you and paying prices for top quality chocolate.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank FritziinTampa

Virginia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“great chocolate, fun store”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

A friend and I recently visited the Ruth Hunt Candy Company in Mt. Sterling, Kentucky as we were passing through on a girls' weekend getaway in Kentucky. We reseached the company online before hand and saw they gave tours but, upon arrival, they told us tours were only Mon-Wed (although this wasn't stated on their website.) It was the weekend before Easter and we decided to do some shopping for our childrens' Easter baskets. The candy was wonderful with lots of variety and they offer samples. Prices are a little steep but, it's a specialty store so we expected that. I picked up some "gold nuggets" for my son and he was overjoyed with the small gold chocolates. My daughter was happy to get one of their famous Blue Monday candies and my husband loves chocolate covered peanuts, so naturally, he received a bag of their double-dipped chocolate peanuts. The chocolate had an excellent flavor and the little shop was fun. I would go back again for the tour if I was passing through. They also had t-shirts and a great selection of Kentucky and University of KY souvenirs and merchandise.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank imjustMK
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Update Bourbon Caramels”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

My husband went in and bought 8 boxes of the Dark Bourbon flavored Sea Salt Caramels based off the review from someone on this sight. I do not know what happened but this is the worst candy we had ever tasted. No one we sent them to enjoyed them and all thought possibly they were stale or old. I don't care for bourbon but others we sent to do and said they were not good caramels. While we were in the store we tasted the truffles and other candy samples which were wonderful, so they do have good options. Just don't purchase candy until you first sample is my suggestion. The caramels are boxed and are Woodford Reserve which didn't offer us the choice to try first. I called and wrote to the company and must say I was dissapointed with there desire to even listen to my complaint. I had only the expectation that they would say we are sorry you weren't pleased with the candy, but please try others. They simply said our candy is fresh. well it may be See's candy next year rather than trying to support Kentucky businesses. Try before you buy.

Visited December 2012
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Delicious caramels”
Reviewed 25 November 2012

All Ruth Hunt candy is fresh and delicious. My favorite are the plain caramels or caramels with bourbon covered in dark chocolate and sea salt. Send plain caramels to friends in Dallas, TX. A frequent request and a welcome gift.

Visited October 2012
Silver Spring, Maryland
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Really good tour of an old fashioned candy factory”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Ruth Hunt is a local operation best known for their blue monday bars. Their factory is small and almost all work is completely done by hand. What little equipment they have is from the early part of the last century but works just fine. A short video from a local station was also very interesting and informative. They took us without reservations but I would recommend a quick call first.

Visited August 2012