“Hard to find, worth the search”

Willie's Locally Known
Ranked #44 of 949 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$0 - US$18
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: American Eclectic Restaurant and Live Music Venue specializing in smoked meats, craft beer, and bourbon.
Reviewed 28 April 2014

On a recent road to Tn. and Ky., my son had this stop scheduled. after some difficulty find the place, we paid a cover charge and were seated in the music area. Area was very full but not packed. Wait staff was prompt, curtious, and attentative but not intrusive. Bar B Q was excellent drinks cold and the music was outstanding. Would definitely suggest the venue if you like good local muswic.

1  Thank jbag44

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

This was my husbands and mines favorite place we ate on our trip. We came for lunch right when they opened. The outside doesnt really stand out and was harder to spot at first. I liked that it was more of a local place to eat. There were a few people in the bar and couple people in the dining room. The staff was very friendly. Once we came in we were greated and told to sit where we want. Our waitress was also nice and explained a few questions. My husband wanted to try the blackberry habanero wings because of the good reviews. We also ordered fries. Food came quick. The wings were a hit and he really liked it. Not just the sauce but wings themselves. Very crispy and good. The sauce wasnt hot at all (which he was worried about) also wasnt to sweet either. We both loved the fries to. They were heavly seasoned but I brushed it off. After we were given our food our waitress didnt return till we were done and we both needed refills. She had just gotten a group so was busy. She was still very nice. We had to go up to her to get our check because we were in a hurry (going to keeneland for race) overall we were very happy and would love to return again!

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
2  Thank icemodeled
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Willie's Locally Known was everything my BFF and I were looking for in our roadtrip to KY -- great southern food (we had wings, battered fried catfish, mac 'n cheese...), microbrews, live music and new friends. Shout out to the excellent staff who made sure we got safely into a cab after we had maybe a bit too much fun. Willie's will be first on our list for our return visit to Lexington.

1  Thank Deanne F
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband found Willie's while we were visiting the Lexington area.
I was hesitant to go as they are known for having live music every (or nearly) every night. I don't enjoy visiting bars/restaurant with live music as they are simply too loud for me. This weekend was planned for my husband though, so I went with it.
We arrived and were seated in the restaurant. We had to pay a cover for the bands ($10 each). It seemed a little odd to me, since we were there for dinner, however, I noticed a lot of patrons were just there for the music so I understand.
We started with the blackberry habenero wings. I don't eat wings, but I tried one based on reviews from others and I thought they had great flavor. My husband has talked about them ever since and proclaimed them "the best wings he ever ate". They will not disappoint.
We waited a bit to order, and because of this they were out of chicken and waffles (our fault, not the restaurants). I was bummed because based on reviews, I really wanted to try that meal. Instead I went with the pulled pork. It was a really good sandwich and the coleslaw was a great topping.
My husband ordered the chili. He thought it was just ok, mainly because it was not as thick as he prefers.
Although it was still loud (of course there's live music), I will say it wasn't over the top like some places I have visited and I enjoyed both bands that played.

If we lived closer, I would visit Willies again and take guests for some good bbq and entertainment.

Again - make sure you order the blackberry habenero wings

2  Thank Carrie A
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

A hole in the wall you must try! Oh my goodness the food was amazing. We came here because we wanted some BBQ and some bluegrass. Came in on a Saturday night for the 800 show. What a mess...they didn't start until 930. Apparently there was a "miscommunication" with the band... They had thought 900. They were even late for that. The Solicitors were very good. Really enjoyed the music once they got started and we even stayed for their whole show. Did not stay for the later band.
The food was absolutely the best!! We had eaten at Red State earlier that day and I have to say the food was definitely better here. Brisket was very tender and just delicious. I got the burnt ends and added the blackberry habenero sauce to it. It comes with their original BBQ sauce. Both were amazing, spicy but sweet. I liked them both. Cole slaw was good, baked beans sweet and spicy also. Fries came with it.
Despite the band miscommunication I would go again and encourage you to take in a show!! (They gave us a round of drinks free for the trouble).