“Best BBQ in Lexington”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Listed in Google Places
Description: Listed in Google Places
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Mary Lou's is an off the grid kinda place. It's wedged in between some old Lexington neighborhoods and some light industrial near downtown. The dining room has two community tables, and three saddle seats at the counter. And the BBQ is the best anywhere. The closest thing that I have had that compares is The Salt Lick in Texas.

I had the Texas star with brisket and pulled pork. The brisket is the best I've ever had. Slow smoked for 18 hours. The pork is slightly spicy, but in a good way. This is the kind of place that you look for when you ask locals what's good. If you were not from Lexington, you would never find this place. There are two sauces on the table, a sweet BBQ and a spicy BBQ. Cost was $9 for two meats and a side.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

An interesting off the path place. We ordered some pulled pork and brisket along with a couple of sides. The pulled pork and sauce were just so-so, but the brisket was amazing. The cole slaw and potato salad were different from any we'd ever tried and were superb

Reviewed 24 October 2012

The food and the service in this place were horrible. I felt as if I were an inconvenience. The restrooms were filthy too. I serve better food to my dog!

Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was our first (but certainly not our last) trip to Mary Lou's BBQ. A friend recommended it-- and we had to give it a try. This was some of the best BBQ we have ever had (and certainly the best in Lexington).
We tried the Texas Star. It had Pulled Pork, Brisket, and Andouille Sausage along with two sides. We also had the 1/2 Slab of Ribs. We loved it all. Everything had a wonderful smokey flavor, just the right amount of seasonings and "kick". They also included a generous portion of the their tasty BBQ sauce. You also get two sides (Potato Salad, Campfire (Baked) Beans, or Pineapple Blue Cheese Coleslaw). The portions were very good. All the sides were homemade. Their Coleslaw was delicious. You can get a sandwich, meal, or order by the pound.

This place is a gem-- from their cozy interior to the fabulous food!

1  Thank lexslz
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I had the pulled pork from Mary Lou's. The plain meat has a spicy kick that is nice. The meat was tender and moist. I did not try anything else but I would go back. The sauce is really sweet and they only had one option for sauce. I wish they had more choices.