“Good BBQ”

Ranked #51 of 930 Restaurants in Lexington
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Takeout
Description: At City Barbeque, we are 100% devoted to the craft of barbeque. All of our meats are smoked on-site at each restaurant, hand rubbed with spices, and take upwards of 18 hours to become pure barbeque perfection. Our employees prepare our sides throughout the day from scratch in the restaurant and give it the same attention they would give to their own family. This is barbeque in its truest form, created by people who are dedicated to doing it right. Enjoy your meal in our restaurant or order online for our very popular party pack meals for take out. Having a special event and don't want to worry about the food? We are famous for our delicious and affordable catering. Our catering teams specialize in catering wedding receptions and rehearsal dinners, catered company events and picnics, party catering, holiday catering, graduation party catering, and all around fun. Whether you call it barbecue, Bar-B-Que, BBQ, or barbeque - we've got what you are looking for!
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stopped here after driving all day. We were looking for a place we can't eat at back home. Some locals recommended this place and we were not disappointed. Plenty of food, no one left hungry.

The meats: Most people had the brisket which they said had great flavor, super tender and juicy. The pulled pork was moist and perfectly done.

The sides: The baked beans had brisket in it and was the favorite side of the night. The sweet vinegar slaw was liked but it seemed like the table wanted it a bit more vinegary and sweeter. The green beans did not go over well this evening. The younger crowd liked the fries and said they had great flavor. The fried pickles were a big hit.

The deserts: Cherry cobbler was ordered. Mixed review, people either loved it or they were not thrilled with it. The cake part of the cobbler was thicker and a bit chewy which is exactly why some loved it and some did not.

This is counter service but the servers were super friendly and helpful.

Jordan F, Guest Relations Manager at City Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

We're happy to hear that you guys enjoyed your visit! Cherry cobbler is probably only going to be around for a limited time, so we appreciate the feedback! If you visit again, check out our peach cobbler and let me know what you think (email me at jordan@citybbq.com ahead of time and the peach cobbler will be on the house)! Thanks so much for the great review!

There are newer reviews for City Barbeque

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Several sets of our friends kept telling us we needed to try City Barbeque. I'm glad we did. My wife and I arrived just in time, ahead of the crowd, early Friday evening. We decided on a sampler platter - sausage, pulled pork, brisket, and a couple of sides - to share. All of the meats were outstanding as were the baked beans. The mac and cheese was nothing to write home about. I like the local feel of Billy's in Chevy Chase, but the food is better here.

Jordan F, Guest Relations Manager at City Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thanks for the great review! We are looking into upgrading our mac & cheese so stay tuned! Hope to see you again soon! :)

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great food . The best ribs! Great service. A must try restaurant when your in Lexington,Ky.
You will love the restaurant

Thanks so much for the great review!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I like to try restaurants that I usually can't get at home. One of the surprises of City Barbecue is that it's technically a franchise, but it sure don't feel like one. That said, I hope they open one further west up 64, because I would love my wife to experience this food. It is delicious, and some of the best BBQ I've had.

Let me tip my hat for a moment to the restaurant proprietors who respond to comments here on TripAdvisor. Guys, your friendliness and humor drew me in. When I was sitting at the Doubletree Hilton just up the road and was looking for a good place to eat, I considered another BBQ place ranked as the #1 restaurant in Lexington. However, I was put off by two things: the 20 minute drive to get there, and the wounded comments "that" restaurant had in reaction to criticism. After a few minutes of reading reviews on City, I programmed the GPS and headed on down.

I had a sampler platter (turkey, sausage, pork, brisket) that was a bit pricey but plentiful in portions and deliciousness. The texas toast was fat, soft, and worth every bite. There were several sauces to choose from -- I prefer the sweet stuff -- and they too were memorable. The clincher was the atmosphere. Casual, friendly servers, and good blues music piping overhead.

There are only a few BBQ places I've eaten that meet or beat City, and their prices are just a tad on the expensive side for a casual meal, but it's hard to argue about the quality or ambiance. Definitely recommended and the next time I'm in Lexington I hope to stop by.

Jordan F, Guest Relations Manager at City Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Woohoo! Thanks so much for the awesome comments! We are actually a small Corporate chain, based out of Ohio :) Each location is able to make the restaurant their own and tweak it to be unique to that area, so some people don't know we are a chain. We are proud to keep it local by supporting local produce and meats as well! I am so happy you decided to give us a try. Be on the lookout for a second Lexington location popping up in the near future ;)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Food was excellent. Pork and brisket were very tender. Ribs and chicken were juicy. Resturant was kind of cool.

Jordan F, Public Relations Manager at City Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thanks so much for the great review!