“Could be better”

Sal's Italian Chop House
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Monday - Thursday: 11:15 AM - 10:00 PM Friday: 11:15 AM - 10:30 PM Saturday: 10:00 AM - 10:30 PM Sunday: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Our first time dining here and I was disappointed. The dinner rolls were warm and tasty. My son ordered the baby back ribs served over thin fried potatoes. The entree included a lettuce wedge salad. Satisfactory but nothing special. I had the Caprese salad, slices of ripe tomatoes and mozzarella with pesto sauce. Very tasty but too much sauce, a drizzle of pesto would have sufficed. The rock shrimp risotto in a creamy lobster sauce arrived quickly. The dish had lots of shrimp but unfortunately the risotto was mushy and very bland. My husband had the fettuccine Alfredo with rock shrimp, a little heavy on the cream, but the pasta was perfectly cooked al dente. Two desserts were excellent: giant warm chocolate chip cookie with vanilla ice-cream and peach/blueberry cobbler. The Tiramisu was a disappointment. Not the right flavor or texture. Not light and airy like it should be, but very dense. The mascarpone layer instead of being smooth and creamy was very thick and grainy. Slight coffee flavor should be detected, but was completely absent. Will we go back? Yes but only to try something else. Staff was friendly and attentive yet visibly rushed at times. Not a cheap place to eat!

1  Thank Martina F

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The place served some of the best appetizer breads, and the food was excellent too. Location and interior however could have been more intimate, however it is not too intimidating either. Sal's Chop house is very suitable for business dinners.

1  Thank gkev
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We recently decided to dine here, after enjoying other BGH establishments. Reservations are recommended, but were unattainable on-line, so we called. Our reservation was at 7:30pm on a Sat. night. We arrived a few minutes early but were seated right away. The restaurant was not crowded. Moments after being seated a young man appeared to fill the water glasses and take our drink order. There is an extensive wine & specialty cocktail menu, so we asked to be given a few minutes. He no more walked away when our server arrived with the same question. We gave the same answer. He returned a few minutes later, took our drink order, pointed out where the specials are located in menu. Moments later a different young man arrived with rolls & butter. We finally chose from the menu and placed our order.

Both entrees came with a dinner salad. We each made the long hike to the restroom to wash our hands before eating. The restrooms are at the very end of Harry's Bar area. We were nearly run over 3 times by the same server with drinks in her hands, never saying excuse me. There were no more than 10 patrons in the bar...what was her rush? Upon return to our table our salads had arrived. We unwrapped the rolls and began to enjoy the Caesar salads and delicious rolls. I put my fork down to have a drink of water and a young man stepped up and asked to take my plate...seriously I had only taken 2 bites. I told him I was still eating. This happened a second time as well. Before half finishing our salads our dinner arrived. The table was small and there was not enough room for all the dishes. Once again they tried to take our salads before we finished. At this point we decided a relaxing dinner is totally out of the question. I suppose if they were more busy they would not have been in our face so often. Each time we put our forks down, someone was there to take our still full plates, so we held them up in one hand while using the other to take a drink. As you can see this severely damaged our view of the service here.

However, the food was absolutely wonderful!! The Chef here is a creative genius! The food portion, quality, and taste is why we give this restaurant 4 stars. I doubt we will return due to the fact we do not like to feel rushed when we eat. I had heartburn and it wasn't caused by the filet mignon ... This was totally melt in your mouth delicious, which is why we did not want to give it up until we were finished. We also enjoyed the Ky Hot Brown flatbread as an appetizer as well as the fried green tomatoes. Each item was a good sized portion and delicious.

If you don't mind feeling rushed, pushed, shoved, or knocked down you may enjoy Sal's. the food is wonderful but the in-your-face service personnel will keep us away. Our check before tax & tip was approximately $75.

1  Thank Two-Touring-The-US
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We have eaten at Sal's a number of times and we have always found the food quality to be excellent. This time, I tried the rigatoni with chicken strips...I never eat rigatoni...I don't like rigatoni! As somebody once said - it just goes to show you. The meal was really great. I tend to be somewhat opionated and, once again, I end up with egg on my face, but at least I have added another dining option to my menu choices. I do not remember what my wife ate, although I do remember she was well satisfied. The wine (by the glass) was good but not great as can be expected when one is ordering by the glass. All in all, an outstanding dining experience.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Two words...parking lot. After trying so many of the great restaurants in Lexington we find ourselves labeling SAL'S as our "go-to restaurant." Exceptional dining experience, no, but that is what makes it so wonderful. They do a great job of being consistent with a nice menu, quality ingredients, excellent preparation, okay presentation but always reliable. No fancy, smancy here...just good dining. Casual but nice.

The pasta is always excellent...sauces as they should be. Salads crisp and always freshly prepared. House bread is grand.

Setting and decor is a bit dark and dated but from an era when this look was top shelf. And, find a good table to watch the door because you will see Lexington parade by day or nite.

And the tip off for me...the parking lot. It is ALWAYS full. As any restauranteur about this performance measure...they will take a full parking lot any day.

Ciao!