“It's Japanese; Not Chinese, Ready-To-Eat, or Buffet” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugano Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Sugano Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's Japanese; Not Chinese, Ready-To-Eat, or Buffet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Not too many actual Japanese places in Lexington anymore. Suganos' has been there for 16+ years for a reason. Their fish is pretty much sold at market price or cheaper; they make up for the inflation with alcohol sales. Sugano trained most of the competition. The Only food items in this place are japanese; no vietnamese, thai, or chinese sushi here. The food is best hands-down; but to truly make it authentic, it helps to know food, drink, and order etiquette(no offense to them, but best part is always watching the 1male and 1female servers they have busting their butts trying to deal with customers with no respect for other cultures; how they can work 6 days a week and still put on a smile for rude, non-tipping ignorant customers is far better than I). If you want imitation, there's plenty of non-japanese "Japanese" places in Lexington. If you want the real deal, I highly recommend Sugano's.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank James V

United States
“Favorite Spot for Japanese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

I've tried most of Lexington's sushi spots, and Sugano still ranks number one in my book. Some would call it a 'hole in the wall' or a 'dive', and it's kind of both. It's located in a strip mall in an area where some people I know probably wouldn't get out of their car, but that's their problem. I love this place and would go every other day if I could. I love the atmosphere. Simple, to the point, no razzle dazzle. No need. The food speaks for itself, and it speaks to me. The sushi and sashimi are particularly delicious - unlike any other in town - and other items I've tried have always been delicious, too.
It's not a romantic atmosphere per se, but I still find it to be a great date night spot. There's a nice vibe when you go in, like walking out of Lexington and into Japan, into a discovered spot on the Travel Channel - you know, where the host says to get there now because after the show airs it will be hard to get into. Still, it seems Sugano remains undiscovered enough to have the perfect amount of patronage - you can still easily be seated on a weekend night but have no concern about the future of the place.
It's a small spot and never too loud, so I don't think I would go with more than three people.The staff is nice enough, not super friendly, but I don't need to be pampered here. I just need the chef to keep doing what he's doing and I'll be forever happy.

• Visited March 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“imitation crab in sushi combo?!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2013

We ordered the large Chirashi Sushi and we were very disappointed. Not only the quantity was small for the price, two of the pieces were some sort of egg concoction and two were imitation crab!! It also smelled like somebody was smoking...

• Visited February 2013
“Very Good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

I went there with my sisters and a friend of mine. The outside view of the shop looks shabby but the inside looks japanese. I ordered katsudon and my sisters ordered ramen. It was good. Price is abit high though.

Good if you like authentic japanese food.

RBC, AL
“Authentic Japanese Food - TripAdvisor WINS again!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I work for Honda and was in Lexington with a Japanese associate who had only been in the states for about 1 year. He requested Japanese food, now I'm originally from Lexington and had no clue where to go. Again I put my trust in the TripAdvisor AP on my phone and based on the reviews chose this place. When we walked in, there was japanese writings on the walls and a very old dude running the sushi bar. My Japanese co-worker stated this looks promising, after the food arrived he reconfirmed the food was very good for taste, quality and presentation. I had another american co-worker with me too, we were both pleased with our selections, even if they were on the safe side ( nothing raw ).

The place is kinda in a older section of town, not sure about the "bad section" comments, but it is difficult to located due to the limited signs. Its not a fancy place either, but Its worth it.......just keep looking you will find it.

• Visited September 2012