“Good Food, Good Service, Good Ambiance”
Review of The Jax - CLOSED

The Jax
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My wife, 1 year-old and myself were looking for a place to eat in Downtown Lexington and found Jax. Not the best place for young children (loud, long food wait, tight spaces for high chair), but great for couples, friends, etc. However, we still dined here and enjoyed our food. Besides the hostess being unfriendly, aloof and a deer in headlights, the rest of the wait staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. A great wine selection and an excellent array of dining selections. We enjoyed hearty salads, chicken parmesan that had a delicious marinara sauce with a slight kick. I enjoyed a well-prepared salmon with goat cheese over roasted vegetables that was full of flavor. I am a huge fan of beignets from Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans, and Jax offers a nice variation of beignets that are worth the wait to make.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were a group of 8, and we met here about 10 PM. We enjoyed a seating area upstairs with comfortable couches and a large table. The drinks and burgers with fries were OK. (The Jax burger with fries was $15!) Our server was friendly, and we all had a great time!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We arrived at The Jax before our scheduled reservation time and were seated early. The restaurant had great ambiance and decor. It was a really good first impression. Then our waiter came to our table... We asked what a particular dish was and he had no idea. Ok, no big deal, we have smart phones. After an hour of ordering our dinner...my medium rare steak came out cold. I never ever send food back, but I asked the waiter to at least heat it up for me. He did and it came back lukewarm. The asparagus was really hot and tasty though! For that amount of money, I do not expect my steak to be cold. My dates dish (some kind of stir fry) was really sweet, but had good flavor.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

It is said that if two or more eateries have failed in a given location then future eating establishments are doomed there as well. Since living in Lexington over the past four years I've seen two restaurants come and go in the space now occupied by The Jax. It appears to me that the owners/managers of this laid-back restaurant are working hard to dispel the bad luck. The Jax is clean, welcoming, cheerful, and provides a $5 happy hour of selected wines and appetizers to set the mood. I met a friend for dinner last night and started our meal with a very decent $5 Malbec before ordering the Lexington Chicken for dinner. We had a bit of wait before the meal arrived, but it was well worth the time. The delicious noodles come from two blocks north: the Lexington Pasta Company. Topped with perfectly cooked sun-dried tomatoes and surrounded by generous slices of pistachio encrusted chicken breast this made for a hearty and delicious meal. The servings were generous enough that I had another meal's worth to take home. The atmosphere was quiet until the hour neared 7:00 p.m. when the Adult Bingo crowd was ready to take over. What a creative idea for an otherwise quiet Sunday night downtown. It's creativity like this combined with the food and decent prices that will keep the community curious about The Jax and coming back for more.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

The service was friendly, albeit not flawless, it still made us smile. The food was unexpected in its complexity of flavours, presentation and freshness. Not the biggest portions, but enough and made up for in leaps-and-bounds by quality. The specials are noteworthy and vary night to night. The ambiance is a classy, sophisticated unpretentious; a complex balance to maintain. I shall return to this establishment.