“Very good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Smithtown Seafood
Ranked #117 of 885 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cookeville, Tennessee
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had the beer battered catfish basket. While the fish was good, I felt that the batter was way too thick, but that is my preference and maybe they could ask. Another party just had the regular batter and it was thinner. Maybe some more tartar sauce too. We took the tour and applaud the efforts of what they are doing. I wish that I had known that they actually raise the Tilapia there, for I would have ordered that. All in all a pleasurable lunch and I would go back.

• Visited November 2013

Lexington, Kentucky
“Need a more afforadble lunch menu.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stopped in for lunch on a weekday and asked if they had any fish an chips lunch specials. The guy behind the counter said, "Sure we can do anything you want". I ordered the catfish basket and a water. I had a ten in my hand fully expecting that to cover it. (I will have to admit I did not look at the menu, I knew I wanted fish and chips) The bill was $12.96. Slightly sticker shocked. On a positive note that food was very good, not the best I have had by far but I will go back. The next time will be for dinner though.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lexington, KY
“This is sustainable dining!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I loved the food here. I've now been several times and each time I love what I eat and swear its my new favorite, then the next time I try something else thinking it cannot top what I had the last time,,, then it does! With the extensive menu, I look forward to a lot of great meals here. So far, I highly reccommend the fish and chips, the asian style fish tacos, the salads are all great, and the nachos.

But beyond the food, I love this soul of this place. They get both fish and greens from FoodChain, a nonprofit, indoor farm next door. They also have menu items that support the nonprofit. The seafood is extremely fresh, the meat grown locally, is processed locally at a both sustainable and humane processing facility. You can eat at the brewrey next door and enjoy local beer from a brewery that is also committed to giving back to the community. It casual, affordable and the service is very good, they managed to find me the crowded tap room.

This is where I hope the future of dining is headed. If it is, I can't wait! Until then, you can find me at Smithtown Seafood!

2 Thank mwinfield
Lexington, Kentucky
“Great fish and farm to table restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

Smithtown Seafood is a fantastic new addition to the Lexington restaurant scene.

It's a small seafood counter with an extensive menu. Seating is in West Sixth Brewing, next door. The menu includes a variety of appetizers, salads, fish baskets and sandwiches, a burger, hot dog, and whole tilapia. The whole tilapia and most of the salad greens are raised on-site by a neighboring non-profit aquaponics facility, FoodChain.

The food is amazing. Salads are fresh and inventive. The fish is fresh as it gets and perfectly fried (battered, rolled and fried, or pan seared). And there are some fun surprises -- like fish nachos, fish tacos (asian-style), and even the burger is great (sustainably raised beef!).

Definitely worth checking out.

1 Thank begs