“great food, slow service”
Review of Bombay Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S Limestone St
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We ate here on Valentine's Day because I am a huge Indian food fan. Bombay has the best atmosphere of any of the Indian restaurants in town, with small tables, candlelight and a nice open bar.

The veggie samosas were delicious, we had a bottle of sauvignon blanc from India (sweet, crisp, really nice) and the tandori mixed grill for two... which realistically could have served three or four. A really good value for the portions.

I believe Bombay has expanded since I last ate there, and while it seemed they had ample wait staff, the service was very slow. Usually when I have been there, there are only a few tables filled and they are very attentive to your needs, but last night, I had to ask for mint chutney three times by three different people before it arrived. A little disappointing, but I think they may have just been overwhelmed by the expansion and the busy Valentine's Day crowd.

I'd definitely go back there again and recommend this place to my friends. Also, check out Banana Leaf, which is a more casual restaurant that just moved upstairs. It's also Indian fare... but the menu is a bit different from Bombay.

Reviewed 7 December 2011

This was my first visit to Bombay Bar and Grill. I was pleasantly surprised with the food, service and atmosphere. The food was amazing! I had the Lamb, Eggplant, Peanut Curry and my husband had the Lamb and Basmati Rice. We both agreed we will be returning soon to try out one of the many other options. The service was impeccable. Very friendly and willing to explain the different dishes if you had any questions. You could tell everyone in the restaurant cared about my experience.

2  Thank shelllex
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My wife and some friends dined at this restaurant last night. It was the first visit for my wife and myself, however our friends have been to this restaurant many times and recommended it. We had attentive prompt service throughout our meal, although we were in no rush since it was just a relaxed Friday dinner. Our friends did the ordering since they were very familiar with the menu. We began with a few samosas and the paneer pakora (the fried cheese). These were quite decent. For entrees we shared 4 dishes so we could all have some variety. The two I enjoyed the most were the tikka masala and the lamb vindaloo. These are both dishes that I am quite fond of. The tikka masala was as I expected it, and excellent. The vindaloo was somewhat different than I expected it, but it was quite good. Like many restaurants, you choose your level of spiciness, and this dish was prepared as an 8 out of 10 (what they refer to as "American Hot", as opposed to "Indian Hot" which is their 10 out of 10). For me this was a good level of spice - my lips burned a little, but it was not overbearing, and the flavor was still strong and not overwhelmed by the heat. For beverages we had Indian beer, Taj Mahal and Kingfisher (which I am pretty sure is brewed in the USA), and they went well with our meal. We also had a selection of nan, all of which were quite good. Overall it was a very enjoyable meal, and a restaurant that I would return to.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I was sort of surprised to read such mediocre reviews of this place. I just finished my meal and went anxiously to my iPhone to write a review because I thought it was great. The food is fabulous. I had paneer sokora as an appetizer (fried cheese), chicken tikka masala which was perfectly seasoned and had the right balance of tomato and cream with the most amazing rice I've ever had. I also ordered a side of riata (freshest I've ever had) and a glass of Pinot Nior. The service was also attentive. So considering all I ordered, I did not begrudge a $32 tab. Good food is like anything else - you get what you pay for. I would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 25 August 2011

The food is excellent, but not actually worth the high prices. I ordered a gin martini, got a vodka one. Had the biryani. It was excellent, but I won't return due to the overpriced menu. Everything on the menu can be easily made at home for a fraction of the price that they charge.

I gave an 'average' rating because the food really is superior, but the prices are horrendous.