“Great meal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Winchell's Restaurant & Sports
Ranked #53 of 885 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mount Isa, Australia
“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I chose this place because the reviews were good and it was close to where we were. Our meals were really great and the service was prompt and proffesional. We were pleasently suprised with this place.

• Visited June 2014

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Don't Like It”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Unlike most of the reviewers on this site, I just don't like this place. Much of the menu is southern food that will likely shorten your lifespan; if that's the food you like, you'll love this place. If, on the other hand, you have some degree of regard for your health, it's more difficult to find things on the menu to eat, though not impossible. The grilled chicken salad, for example, is quite good and features fresh greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, cheese, and a real (not processed) chicken breast. The homemade soups are enormously disappointing to me (I've had 3 of them). The potato soup is one of the most reprehensible things I've eaten in a restaurant -- the consistency was too thin for mashed potatoes but far too thick for soup. It had a little bit of a pungent taste to it, like it was made from instant potatoes instead of real potatoes (though I can't imagine that it was made from instant potatoes). The club sandwich is made with country ham and is quite good; sadly, a sandwich with country ham is one of the healthier sandwich options on the menu. The BBQ Pork Quesadilla I tried was a soggy mess from having far too much meat on it. The decor? Fort Worth, Texas meets redneck Kentucky. I don't like the food; I don't like the ambience; I'm just not impressed with this place.

• Visited November 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
“This is where the Locals Go!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

If you are new in town and want something that is unique to Lexington, Ky then you should definitely try Winchell's. If you're a local and never been, well then you're missing out!

They have great burgers. The fish and chips with the jalepeno remoulade is to die for (I always order mine with a side of cheese grits AMAZING!). The Kentucky Hot brown is also a local traditional favorite. I do wish they would bring back the beer battered onion rings though! Check out their website for more menu options.

The ambience is definitely a sports bar. All of the regular domestics beers are available on draft. Large flat screen TVs are in every corner with current games and/or featuring ESPN. Karaoke is held on the weekends. This is a great place to watch the Wildcats play or to watch a horse race.

The easiest way to get there is from Nicholasville Rd (a major artery through town). After driving for at least a mile on Southland Dr. from Nicholasville Rd. you will pass under a railroad bridge. Winchell's is in the shopping center on the left (next to the Oleika Shriners Temple). You can also reach Winchell's via Harrodsburg Rd with limited difficulty.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Surprise Inside!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Don't let the outside fool you. The food here is awesome! The Almond Crusted Trout was flaky and tasty and so was the Grilled Salmon! The menu has a lot of interesting items to choose from. Believe it when they say it, the hot sauce is HOT!

Melbourne, Florida
“Delicious breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

Don't be fooled by the outside. My husband and I stopped in for breakfast on a Sunday morning around 10:30. The place was busy, but we didn't have to wait for a table. The server was friendly and explained all the specials--there was something for every type. I liked how the menu wasn't too big, but yet there was plenty to choose from. I ordered the almond joy pancakes with sausage patties and home fries. The pancakes were delicious!! Not too sweet and the flavor was better than I expected. The sausage patties were very tasty and good quality meat. The home fries were perfectly seasoned and cooked just right. My husband enjoyed his bacon and cheese omelette and biscuits and gravy. The portion size was rather large and we were both unable to finish our food. We were just in town for the weekend, but would definitely go back if ever in Lexington again.

1 Thank dvstar40