“The employees make a difference”

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
McMurray, Pennsylvania
“The employees make a difference”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

The facility and offerings are pretty much as you would expect from a resort. The real story here is the attitude of the employees. No matter what their role or position, every time I would pass an employee on the grounds, they went out of their way to be sure to greet me with a hello, good morning, good afternoon, etc. If anything was needed, they were quick and courteous to assist you in any way they could. I would definitely stay here again and recommend that you check it out if you are in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
Reviewed 1 July 2011

From the moment I arrived at the hotel I was greeted by a very helpful, friendly staff. Very beautiful grounds, golf course and lobby. Very nice indoor and outdoor pool areas. Clean and well maintained! The room was very clean with excellent matress and bedding. The Concierge lounge had excellent food selections and very friendly staff. With all of the amenities offered at this hotel just staying there could be your vacation. Very nice restaurants on this property also, JW's Steakhouse and the Mansion. Well decorated and a great price for all that you will experience! Very impressed and I will return!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank LClark39575
Kentucky
Reviewed 11 June 2011

My children gave me a Marriott Griffin Gate spa gift certificate for my birthday. When I made the appointment with the spa, I gave them the information that was on the gift certificate. Meanwhile we moved, and when I arrived at the spa I did not have the certificate in hand because I was unable to find it since we were still unpacking. I told the lady at the spa check in, and she said it was no problem and that she would look up my treatments. I already knew I was to get a massage, a manicure, and a facial. It was all great and relaxing until I checked out and was informed that I owed them $370 which included a 20 per cent discount. I told her that was incorrect and that I should had only wanted what my children had given me. She said the extra charge was for my upgrades. I told her I never requested any upgrades and that it was my first time at a spa and that was enough already. Meanwhile, I purchased from her some cuticle cream for $15.70 and used my debit card. She agreed there would be no additional charges, and I thought that was the end of it. The next day the spa manager called and left a message on my phone about my "upgrades." I returned her call, but she had left for the day. Feeling uneasy about the message, I checked my bank statement online, and they had charged my debit card $115. without my knowledge, signature, or authorization. I don't know how or why they came up with that number. I called the hotel manager, and ended up talking to a supervisor who looked into it and agreed the charges were wrong and would be removed. Then the spa manager called two days later and apologized and assured me the charges would be removed. Well, it is now a week later, and the charges have not been removed and no one can tell me how they came up with that number. Needless to say, I AM FURIOUS. Using a debit card is different from using a charge card because you don't have the same protection, and the Marriott has a direct line to my checking account. It has been very sneaky and shady. I never mentioned the word upgrade to them and they never told me I was getting upgrades until I was checked out. I think they are being dishonest and would never use them again.

I

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Shandachelsea
Danville, KY
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My two children and I stayed at this hotel to attend a wedding. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The staff very friendly and helpful. As with any "resort" property, everything was overpriced, but that was expected. What I did not expect was very tiny rooms with no soundproofing! We were placed in room 402 near the elevator, so I expected a reasonable amount of hall noise, our view was of the rooftop and parking lot, obviously not a very desirable view, but someone has to take those rooms I suppose, and we were only going to be sleeping there, so it was acceptable... the noise coming from 4 floors down and in the parking lot was NOT. The windows definitely need to be more soundproof. All night long we heard people laughing and talking... from the parking lot! The bedding was very nice although the sheet on my bed had a hole near the top, the room was one of the smallest I have stayed in, especially for such an upscale property, and the bathroom was ridiculously tiny .. it would be very uncomfortable for a family with small children that needed assistance in the bathroom or several people trying to get ready at one time. While the stay was generally pleasant, I would not recommend the property to families, couples may find it satisfactory. In price comparison, I would most definitely recommend the Double Tree with its very roomy accommodations over this property.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kydarlin
Boston
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Great staff, modern hotel, well equipped fitness center. Price was high but I was there pre-derby week which I guees is pretty crazy.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed 27 May 2011

from the initial shuttle experience at the airport, through check in, room quality, restaurant and bar the high level of service and responsiveness from the staff at Griffin Gate was truly amazing. we will be back!

• Stayed May 2011
Stanton
Reviewed 21 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Griffin Gate Resort for business. Every employee we met there was extremely professional and super friendly. The hotel is spotless and the service was fabulous! Our room was comfortable,clean,quiet and modern.We ate in the hotels restaurant and couldn't have been more satisfied!

I would recommend this hotel to everyone coming to the Lexington area.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business