“Service was slow”

Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Howell, Michigan
“Service was slow”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

If you are on a schedule, call for the luggage cart l o n g before you need it. We waited 20 minutes and went down to the lobby to see a cart sitting there stacked with papers. The staff did not seem to understand the urgency of our schedule.
This is a high dollar stay and they do NOT serve any breakfast, however there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Hello Holdthelines,

Thank you for staying with us and for your recent review of your experience. Please accept our sincere apologies for our service failure regarding your deaprture. It is always our intention to provide prompt, exceptional service and it is clear we missed the mark and held you up and we're very sorry for that. If you would like to send me a quick email and I would be happy to follow up with you further. In the meantime, we will share your comments with our team and learn from this.

Kind Regards,

Dan Sirrine
Director of Operations
dan.sirrine@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My family of 5 stopped here on a road trip. We needed a place to stay for a night and we just drove up to this hotel without a reservation. The staff was extremely helpful at check in. Our room was a nice size and the beds and linens were fantastic. We needed a crib and the housekeeping staff brought it promptly and set it all up for us. The kids loved both pools and we all had a good night's rest.

We left very early the next day to continue to our final destination. In our haste to get on the road, we left my daughter's beloved stuffed toy. In calling the hotel later that day, the staff quickly checked the room and called me back within only a few minutes...they found the stuffed toy and overnighted it to us. They saved the day! If you have small children, you know how critical a special toy can be. This hotel staff really went above and beyond for us...and yes, we will be quadruple checking for missing toys the next time we travel!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Boca Raton
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Griffin Gate Marriott is easily located right of I-75 and near many of the Lexington Horse Country locations. It is situated with a golf course, which I did not have time to play. Our Fall location allowed for seeing some of Lexington's horse related events and the hotel staff was excellent in proding support. As a Lifetime Platinum member I also appreciated the Concierge lounge. They have recently undergone some significant renovations and the property is now up to the standards expected from Marriott.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be acceptable and have a view of the surrounding golf course.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Paducah, KY
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I happily travel in the Marriott womb and have Elite status. The Griffin Gate was home for two days during Keeneland Races and a UK visit. The entrance to the hotel is quite pleasant but I'm afraid it drops from there. I think this is a Marriott Category 5 hotel--which means it sits one category, and light years away, from the Marriott Casa Magna in Cancun which is a six I think.

The hotel was clean, but the details were missing. The Concierge room was tucked away on the first floor behind the front desk. The food was limited in selection: a finger sized spinach/cheese on a chip and a finger sized sausage pizza the one night I visited. The salad was fine, but the wine was more expensive ($9) than at the bar including a $1 tip at the bar. (I had stayed at the JW in New Orleans this summer, whose concierge lounge, by contrast, must be a three star restaurant in its own right.)

My room wasn't resort quality and the lamps were most curious. The beside had what looked like auto pistons sticking out from the top. Turns out they were reading lights (a nice idea) but more Star Trek than resort. Breakfast was pretty typical Marriott consistent.

On balance, I liked the place but I think it was overpriced for the experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 October 2013

we spent sat. night there and was very pleased. it was clean and well appointed. We had a dinner reservation outside the hotel but but the weather turned very bad so we decided to stay there and eat. It wasn't that good. it was pricey. But that was the safe thing to do.

Room Tip: It was a quiet hotel. We stayed on the fourth floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Hmmm where to start...Griffin Gate is an older property that is for sure. There has been some improvements recently and that is nice but it is like trying to put lipstick on a pig as they say...although maybe it is not quite that bad.

My issues were the idea that it is a resort/spa. It is a large older hotel with extremely small bathrooms at least mine was very small, the kind where you shimmy between the toilet and sink area or shower. My room was recently renovated so new carpet which is always so nice and the bedding was new. However the grate /vent in the bath area was gross, filthy. The remote needed to be cleaned a bit...not sure what is on it. So a few housekeeping issues.

The public areas were ok, lots of space to be improved so it is hard I suppose to do all that but I am just pleased my room was at least spruced up a bit albeit small (for a resort). The B-fast area (I had access to the lounge) was ok, computers which were in a separate little area was very nice you could pop in get some coffee and catch up on e-mails. The b-fast was very basic but ok. The evening reception was not much of one...cash bar with very expensive drinks and then a few and I am not kidding a few crudité some cheese and crackers and something fried. I shall pass.

The workout room needs serious help...the equipment seems to need some work or replacing. The Pool area outside well it is an older property so it is what it is same as that indoors. The spa, well I actually looked around nothing fancy at all. I did use the rest room I think it was smaller than my bathroom in my room and not that nice and this is the RR for the spa. Not impressed at all.

The fun thing is I was there during a horse event and those folks like their dogs and this property is dog friendly and I loved seeing the pups in the hotel with their owners...shout out to Murphy the Bulldog!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I recognize that having a spa, pool, and golf course might technically allow Marriott to call this location a resort, but having been fortunate enough to have stayed at a number of resorts both via my profession and personally, this location is slightly disappointing. My wife booked this for the family for a quick get-away for labor day and i did not look at the location other than it was in/near horse country in Lexington which conjured images of rolling hills and horse farms, however when we got closer and took the exit I realized it is less than a mile from the Interstate and seems to be in a semi-industrial part of town. Further, the interior is a slightly dated and it appears to really be a location design for business travelers looking for a "resort" to book their conference or meeting when visiting Lexington or those looking for a hotel for their wedding. My wife noted the grounds themselves appeared to be in fairly good condition but she couldn't take advantage of them when she went for her morning walk because of all the signs stating not to walk on the golf course which I can understand but consequently there are no grounds for the non-golfers to utilize. As an aside I was also disappointed how the weekend front desk manager treated my wife regarding a misunderstanding on the breakfast package we purchased with our stay as it was communicated to her at booking that it would include our children but when we went to pay the bill we were informed it didn't. Instead of apologizing for the misunderstanding, both the first person we talked to and the manager made it seem as if she was lying and then when it was eventually comped it was done so in such a begrudging manner than instead of feeling truly appreciative for taking care of the misunderstanding, it still left a sour taste in our mouths. All for a buffet breakfast where our young children ate a few dollars in food. Having said the above, the golf course is in solid condition, worth playing if you enjoy the game and have your clubs although several holes are close enough to the highway that you can hear and see the traffic going bye at 70 mph. Also having complained about poor service by the the front desk and on duty manager inside the hotel, I want to note how courteous the pro shop staff were to be me and they were very kind to my young son who is just learning the game. They made him feel as if he was the next great pro and it was greatly appreciated. We also thought the exterior pool was nicely done with pretty landscaping and a decent size pool. It is also time that Marriott catches up with the rest of the world and provide wireless in the rooms without an additional ridiculous up charge.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family