“Wish I could have stayed longer”

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed 19 April 2014

White fenced property with ample green grass and stately grounds sets the mood for comfortable stay. The reception was efficient. The Concierge lounge was as good or better than most with excellent service and food and sufficient drinks. (In response to critics, the lounge is not supposed to be a restaurant, but only provides snacks). The rooms were comfortable and quiet. The fitness facility was top notch. I would definitely stay here next time I visit Lexington.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Hotel is not bad and fine for a family vacation but if you are staying here on business to take advantage of the Concierge lounge don't bother. I have stayed in many full service Marriott Hotels and the food in this one was AWFUL. In a nutshell the food is all frozen food or canned other than some fresh fruit for breakfast. Nothing is made in the hotel. Frozen potstickers. Frozen jalapeño poppers. Something frozen I could not identify. Frozen deep fried shrimp (breading). Canned soup. This place has put in some serious cost cutting measures in the concierge lounge and does not place the value on frequent travelers that I have seen at every other Marriott with a concierge lounge. Hope this is not a trend and this one just went rogue. I complained about the food and while the young manager was very nice, the food remained the same (frozen) the next two nights.

Room Tip: Some are more newly renovated than others.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Crackerjack1234,

Thank you for posting your review and sharing your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for the food that you mentioned in our concierge lounge. Our manager, who you spoke with during your stay, did take your feedback serious, and while we were not able to make immediate changes we have commited to making adjustments in our offerings moving forward. We do appreciate your feedback and the most sincere way to affirm this is to have it reflected in the changes we willl soon make. All of our soups are fresh, made from scratch. And despite the items that were served during your stay, our kitchen typically makes almost everything from scratch. Our most important guests enjoy our Concierge Lounge and we are commited to consistently reflecting this in our offerings.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention during your stay and also for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor members.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Recent stay was very average. However, this may be due to the renovations going on at the time. Room was nice. Interesting bed. Upon laying on it, felt like a rock. However, in a few minutes it conformed to your body. I found it somewhat comfortable, my wife did not. We had requested foam pillows and they were on the bed upon check-in. Coffee in the morning was in a make shift bar area and was a bit unpleasant. Again, don't want to be too harsh as the hotel is clearly in the midst of physical improvements. Overall, I would give it another try post-renovation. The resort itself is in a lovely area of Lexington with easy access to the interstate.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all of the great reviews of our resort and share this feedbacak with our team. I greatly appreciate you adding your experience.

I apologize for the disruption from our renovation. All of the work has been completed, so our full Starbucks coffee service has resumed in our newly renovated gift shop. In addition, we are replacing our mattresses with a much softer "Cloud Supreme" Temperpedic model. Guests have been very happy with these softer models and the feedback has been terrific.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I spent a few hours at the spa just to get away for the afternoon. We arrived to the spa and were met (or not met, actually) by a couple of staff standing around talking behind the small counter. We weren't acknowledged until they completed their conversation.

I received an excellent "true grit" body treatment that included a massage. The therapist was very friendly and provided outstanding service. My wife had similarly good service for a mani/pedi; however, two days later the polish was chipping off to the point she had to remove it all.

The locker room was large but when I finished my treatment there were no clean towels, only overstuffed dirty laundry baskets. The place was clean but dated. The public/co-ed area was very busy with people coming and going who appeared to be staff. They'd pop in one door, walk through, and head out another. I can't say it was a relaxing atmosphere and that they say there are light refreshments may be a small stretch. Water and a few nuts if I recall accurately.

It's not an inexpensive spa and I can't say they value was there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Hello RachelandDonny,

Thank you for your review of The Spa at Griffin Gate Resort and sharing your experience. While it sounds as if many aspects of your service met your exectations, clearly our team missed the mark in providing the level of service that both you and we expect. I apolgoze for falling short and for the issues with your mani/pedi. If you would please contact our Spa Director, Monica, I'm sure she would want to invite you back and make an arrangement to address these issues.

You are a valued customer and we hope to regain your trust in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

(859) 288-6128

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Enjoyed my weekend get away with friends. Hotel room had a great view, in general was a neat and clean property. Bedding and room layout is fabulous- very comfortable. I was not particularly thrilled with the In house restaurants (menu choice was not great esp if you are a vegetarian).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vijahens
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The hotel was clean attractive and up to date. Entire staff was cheerful and accommodating. After our 3 day stay ( we went to keeneland for horse racing) we realized we had left a couple of sweaters in a drawer. The front desk researched, called us back and said they had the sweaters. When we offered to pay to ship them, they said no it would be complimentary. They even called later with a tracking #! We would have returned anyway but now will for sure!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I recently stayed at the Griffin Gate Marriott for a meeting. In a hurry to get out of my room, I inadvertently left my coat in the closet. It took me over a week to realize just where I had left it. On calling the hotel, the front desk agent took my name, number and promised to investigate and call me back. I never expected to hear from them again. Not only they did call me back within 30 minutes but they had located the coat and took my address to ship it. The shipping and receiving associate, David, called me to confirm the address before sending it out. A few days later, the coat arrived. Thanks so much Marriott and Griffin Gate.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business