“Very enjoyable ”

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel updates are very pleasing! The staff and premises are inviting and make you feel comfortable right away. I had my granddaughters with me and the staff took time to recognize them which I appreciated, made them feel "special". Great place to stay!

Stayed: April 2014
There are newer reviews for Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I've been going to the Kentucky Horse Park for decades as a competitor and spectator. Whenever I arrive it feels like I'm coming home. The staff are efficient, pleasant, and of the highest quality. Rooms are immaculate and the grounds are exquisite. Go. You'll love it, and so will your dog.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed here since it was the HQ hotel of the Run The Bluegrass half marathon a few weeks ago. Parking is plentiful, but don't be surprised if you have to walk a good bit to get to your car. Check-in was fairly routine. Standard rooms are just that . . . very standard. A bit on the smaller sized, and you had to make sure you were COMPLETELY in the bathroom in order to close the door. Not sure what mattresses they have switched to, but they seemed rock hard when we first sat on the bed. Sleep was OK, but I've been more comfortable at other locations. If we had been paying the standard rate for the room (vs. the discounted rate since this was part of an event), I would've felt ripped off. I know this resort has gotten some rave reviews and maybe if I utilized all of their services I would've felt differently, but it just seemed very average at best.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you KYMark for your review - and we hope you had a terrific experience running in the Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon! Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and for your thoughtful comments. We are in the process of upgrading all of our resort's mattresses to a new TemperPedic Cloud Supreme model. We current have these in over half of our rooms and will have 100% of our rooms fitted with these mattrresses very soon. The feedback has been outstanding as these are noticeably softer than the mattress you most likely had in your room. During our recent room renovation, we replaced all rooms with two double beds with larger queen beds. We believe we are the only full service hotel in the area that has 2 queen beds (vs. 2 double beds). The minor consequence of installing these wider mattresses is that is has taken a small amount of space from the rooms' seating area. And as you reported, our standard rooms do have smaller bathrooms. We hope that you will considering staying with us again and enjoying some of our resort's other features. We have just opened our outdoor pool and whirlpool - one of our more unique warm weather features. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to have you back again for next year's race!

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 April 2014

White fenced property with ample green grass and stately grounds sets the mood for comfortable stay. The reception was efficient. The Concierge lounge was as good or better than most with excellent service and food and sufficient drinks. (In response to critics, the lounge is not supposed to be a restaurant, but only provides snacks). The rooms were comfortable and quiet. The fitness facility was top notch. I would definitely stay here next time I visit Lexington.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Hotel is not bad and fine for a family vacation but if you are staying here on business to take advantage of the Concierge lounge don't bother. I have stayed in many full service Marriott Hotels and the food in this one was AWFUL. In a nutshell the food is all frozen food or canned other than some fresh fruit for breakfast. Nothing is made in the hotel. Frozen potstickers. Frozen jalapeño poppers. Something frozen I could not identify. Frozen deep fried shrimp (breading). Canned soup. This place has put in some serious cost cutting measures in the concierge lounge and does not place the value on frequent travelers that I have seen at every other Marriott with a concierge lounge. Hope this is not a trend and this one just went rogue. I complained about the food and while the young manager was very nice, the food remained the same (frozen) the next two nights.

Room Tip: Some are more newly renovated than others.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Crackerjack1234,

Thank you for posting your review and sharing your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for the food that you mentioned in our concierge lounge. Our manager, who you spoke with during your stay, did take your feedback serious, and while we were not able to make immediate changes we have commited to making adjustments in our offerings moving forward. We do appreciate your feedback and the most sincere way to affirm this is to have it reflected in the changes we willl soon make. All of our soups are fresh, made from scratch. And despite the items that were served during your stay, our kitchen typically makes almost everything from scratch. Our most important guests enjoy our Concierge Lounge and we are commited to consistently reflecting this in our offerings.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention during your stay and also for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor members.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Recent stay was very average. However, this may be due to the renovations going on at the time. Room was nice. Interesting bed. Upon laying on it, felt like a rock. However, in a few minutes it conformed to your body. I found it somewhat comfortable, my wife did not. We had requested foam pillows and they were on the bed upon check-in. Coffee in the morning was in a make shift bar area and was a bit unpleasant. Again, don't want to be too harsh as the hotel is clearly in the midst of physical improvements. Overall, I would give it another try post-renovation. The resort itself is in a lovely area of Lexington with easy access to the interstate.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate all of the great reviews of our resort and share this feedbacak with our team. I greatly appreciate you adding your experience.

I apologize for the disruption from our renovation. All of the work has been completed, so our full Starbucks coffee service has resumed in our newly renovated gift shop. In addition, we are replacing our mattresses with a much softer "Cloud Supreme" Temperpedic model. Guests have been very happy with these softer models and the feedback has been terrific.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I spent a few hours at the spa just to get away for the afternoon. We arrived to the spa and were met (or not met, actually) by a couple of staff standing around talking behind the small counter. We weren't acknowledged until they completed their conversation.

I received an excellent "true grit" body treatment that included a massage. The therapist was very friendly and provided outstanding service. My wife had similarly good service for a mani/pedi; however, two days later the polish was chipping off to the point she had to remove it all.

The locker room was large but when I finished my treatment there were no clean towels, only overstuffed dirty laundry baskets. The place was clean but dated. The public/co-ed area was very busy with people coming and going who appeared to be staff. They'd pop in one door, walk through, and head out another. I can't say it was a relaxing atmosphere and that they say there are light refreshments may be a small stretch. Water and a few nuts if I recall accurately.

It's not an inexpensive spa and I can't say they value was there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Hello RachelandDonny,

Thank you for your review of The Spa at Griffin Gate Resort and sharing your experience. While it sounds as if many aspects of your service met your exectations, clearly our team missed the mark in providing the level of service that both you and we expect. I apolgoze for falling short and for the issues with your mani/pedi. If you would please contact our Spa Director, Monica, I'm sure she would want to invite you back and make an arrangement to address these issues.

You are a valued customer and we hope to regain your trust in the future. If I may be of assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,