“Kentucky Derby Tour (Tauck)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
melbourne
“Kentucky Derby Tour (Tauck)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Really lovely hotel with fast, courteous, friendly and helpful staff. We arrived at 2.am due to flight delays and they were there to greet us and take us to our room.
The gardens around the hotel are beautiful and our room was spacious with a giant comfortable bed, If we asked for something the response was immediate and the restaurant staff excellent.
I have told the Manager he should be very proud of all who are employed there.
We were so sorry to leave this beautifully decorated hotel and surrounds.
Colin and Helen Styring, Melbourne, Australia

Room Tip: I would think that EVERY room in this hotel is excellent
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

The hotel is older, but the renovations/updates are excellent and make the property feel fresh.

We went down for a short weekend trip; the accommodations were excellent; the lobby, restaurant and room were clean and new looking.

The beds were excellent! I do not care for a hard mattress, but the "memory foam" style bed was amazing.

The pool area, particularly indoors, is old. But, the water was exceptionally warm and the kids loved it!

We would certainly head back for a weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hindman, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

From the greeter at the door to the employees in the halls, this is the friendliest place I have ever stayed. Everything was clean. The pool, the grounds, the lobby, and most important -- our room and its bathroom. The towels were clean, the tub and floor was clean, the bed was clean and extremely comfortable. I considered ordering a mattress like that one from Marriott. "THIS IS THE BEST LEXINGTON, KY MOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN!" In fact, it is better than several of the myrtle beach ocean front resorts I have stayed in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed at the Griffin Gate for business during most of January and February 2014. Without exception, the staff was accommodating, welcoming, and helpful. The professionals at the front desk satisfied each and every request, the bell staff were always willing to lend a hand, and the restaurant staff welcomed the opportunity to tweak a menu item. And because the weather was so bad this year, we ate at the hotel restaurant a lot! I particularly wish to thank the lovely woman in the Concierge Lounge for saving me a brownie after a long day at the office. All the staff made you feel like you were coming home, especially when you had to return another night because your flight home was cancelled. The icing on the cake (or brownie) occurred this week - I left a suitcase at the hotel because I had planned to return, but then did not. David in Shipping sent my bag back to me within two days, at no charge. Trust me, you never need to stay anywhere else in Lexington! Thanks to everyone and I hope our paths cross again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MC1traveler
Redding, Connecticut, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Spent a great four nights here over Derby Weekend. The staff at the hotel were great - always attentive and pleasant. Always willing to go the extra yard for the guests. They recently renovated the lobby which looks great. The rooms are clean and well attended - but they are nothing to write home about - but the beds are awesome. The meals are decent - and the bar at JWs is great with an great selection of bourbons. Like the location on the outskirts of Lexington in the heart of horse country. If you are going to explore the horse farms and visit some distilleries - you couldnt ask for a better location.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jeffersonville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I attended a meeting held at Griffin Gate this week. At the conclusion of the meeting, I inadvertently left my reading glasses, which I didn't discover until the next day. I called right away and the lady who answered the phone said, "Why, yes, I have them right here!" I was amazed that I didn't have to go through a whole string of people to find them. Not only that, she said she would send them FedEx (at no charge) for delivery the next day. I even got a call from the fellow who mailed them giving me a tracking number in the event the didn't come as promised.

Even while there, all the staff was extremely polite and helpful. Had lunch in the cafe, which was excellent. Even though I didn't actually stay in a room, I will be making arrangements for a little get-away with my wife very soon. I am very appreciative of their kindness and professionalism. Great job, Griffin Gate!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Milford, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

First the positives:
You can't beat the location of this hotel for events at the Kentucky Horse Park. The hotel is attractive and has well maintained exterior and public spaces. The rooms were small but clean and quiet and had very good lighting. The rooms have two queen size beds and flat screen TVs. The memory foam beds felt hard at first but were actually quite comfortable to sleep on once they conformed to your body. The bathroom was very small but clean and well lit.

Room for improvement:

(1) A hotel of this caliber should provide free wireless internet and not be charging guests a fee. Most of the 2 and 3 star hotels in the area provide free wireless internet. It seems tacky to nickle and dime the customer who is already paying top dollar for a hotel room. A premium rate should come with premium services and amenities.

(2) Towel were thin and worn through in places. I had read in a previous Trip Adviser review that the bath towels were thin but I didn't expect to see my bath towel so worn out that I could see through it. The last day of my stay I used a towel that had a large 7" wide spot that was so worn down that I could read through the towel. This did not meet my expectations of a four star hotel. Guests expect that a four star hotel will provide better quality towels (and other amenities) than at 2 star or 3 star hotel. This Marriott falls short in this category.

(3) IMO, it's a bit tacky to leave two bottles of water in the room with $3.50 price tag on each. I think it would be better not to leave any water in the room rather than finding bottles with price tags on them. Better yet, why not exceed your guests' expectations and offer them two complimentary bottles of water in the room! If you were hosting a guest in your own home you might not think to leave a bottle of water in the guest room for them but you certainly wouldn't leave water with a tag on it letting them know they would be charged for drinking it!

The Griffin Gate Marriott is missing opportunities to impress their guests. A guest that pays more for a hotel stay should leave feeling like the room was worth every penny they spent. Don't give guests a reason to question the value of their purchase. The hotel has so much going for it - location, facilities, service. Pay attention to the details and you'll have guests raving about your hotel instead of questioning whether it was worth the extra price they payed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles