“behind the smile....incompetence”

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in London
Sunderland, Tyne & Wear
“behind the smile....incompetence”
Reviewed 24 September 2006

I stayed in this hotel with my family both outbound and inbound at LHR and booked two family rooms with parking. Finding somewhere to park was a challenge but probably no more so than many another hotel offering these kind of deals. Finding two rooms even remotely near to each other was much more of a challenge. Beware, there are 2 types of rooms - very nice modern, clean ones, and then the other kind.... smelly, faded and far away from the main part of the hotel. Our kids got the first kind on the way out, we tried 3 of the others (all miles away and because 'there weren't any more on that floor') before they finally relented and gave us one 2 doors away from our kids. The reception staff smiled a lot, but when I was asked "Well what exactly DO you want me to do for you sir?' after our third room change I began to question my sanity. I wanted what I'd ordered on the internet - 2 family rooms near to each other (the hint being that we all had the same surname) that were non-smoking. In an attempt to cover up the cigarette smell in our first three rooms they had used some chemical which gave me an acute allergic reaction (I sound like a grumpy old git - but I'm not usually!!) which masked the smell until you turned on the A/C then you might as well have not bothered. Eventually it got sorted but tempers were becoming frayed by the time we got to bed.
The price of breakfast was steep, but probably on a par for London. If you happen to want one when a large party are leavng to catch their plane - forget it.
Not the worst hotel I've stayed in by a long way, but they made life harder for us all by failing to grasp the information filled in on the booking form and acting accordingly.

• Liked — Proximity to London Heathrow
  • Disliked — The appalling reception service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't get lumbered with a room away from the main hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)