“Fascinating history”

Locust Grove
Ranked #33 of 183 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1790, Locust Grove, a three story brick Georgian home, is the final home of General George Rogers Clark, the founder of Louisville, and conqueror of the Old Northwest Territory. The house was built by his sister Lucy Croghan and her husband William Croghan who raised 8 children here and hosted their brother William Clark, of Lewis and Clark fame, as well as Presidents Monroe, Jackson and Taylor, Vice President Arron Burr, statesmen such as Cassius Clay, and several artists including John James Audubon. This National Historic Landmark has been restored to reflect the elegance of General Clark's time at Locust Grove. The 55 acres of gardens, fields and woodlands are open for exploration daily.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Wonderful old house. Knowledgeable docents. Great history

Reviewed 9 July 2012

We visited in 107 degree weather, so I think that if you went when it is a bit cooler, you'd be able to explore a little more. We bought this through a LivingSocial deal a couple of months ago. The drive there is beautiful as well. It is in an upscale neighborhood and we just drove around looking at the massive mansions and colonial style houses. It was perfect.

Our tour guide was very good, Mr. Boone. He showed us through all of the buildings on the property and told us the interesting history about them. The house is nice because it's AIR CONDITIONED!

The only thing that I didn't know before we went and was kind of disappointing when I found out there was, most of the stuff in the house are replicas from the time period. They weren't actually there before and most of the rooms are redone. I thought it was more like the Benjamin Harrison House in Indy- where most of the stuff there belonged to the family. Either way, it was neat to see everything.

It would be a great place for a wedding and a photographer to take pictures. There are lots of photo ops for any occasion! They were filming a movie while we were there and we met the actor and director making the film. Both of them were really nice!

You should stop in and check the place out! It's so breathtaking!

1  Thank vegascupcakes777
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I grew up in Louisville, and went to Locust Grove in the 1960's not long after it was acquired as a property for preservation and public viewing. I finally took my husband there over Memorial Day weekend, and it had changed so much! Their re-restoration in 2010-2011 was amazing. It is one of the best preserved homes from the late 1700's that I have ever seen. The docents (tour guides) are very helpful and knowledgeable. Their museum store is sized appropriately (not overly large, but not sparse, either). There are tons of books on various aspects of Kentucky and its history, and many arts and crafts made my local craftsmen. Oh, and lest I forget, the exhibit hall is chock-full of additional information, and one can peruse it at leisure before and/or after the house tour. For $8 per adult, it is an amazing bargain.

2  Thank MaryDee1
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I love history and was surprised by how much new information I learned about the "Northwest" during this era. Our docent was very interesting and informative, but the tour was a bit longer than I expected. Probably not ideal for kids under 16 unless they are particularly interested in this type of thing (you can always peel off from the group if they get bored, however, and wander around a little bit on your own)

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This is a little known landmark that everyone should see while visiting Louisville. The docents were well informed and able to answer many questions.

Been to Locust Grove? Share your experiences!