“Awful experience!”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Louisville-Airport KY Expo Center
Ranked #43 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for the FFA convention check in was quick the rooms were great and wifi was amazing and then we decided to eat at the resteraunt boy was that a terrible idea! It started out great ! As soon as we sat down we were greeted by Brittany our assistant server she got us waters and told us about the special they had going on for the day then Our server was Angelica and she was down right rude with me and wife! She seemed to get an attitude anytime I asked something and she didn't know the answer to any of the questions I asked her. and then our assistant server , Brittany, was cleaning a table and Angelica proceeded to yell at Brittany while she was standing at our table because she needed a glass of root beer ASAP I thought this was down right unprofessional. Brittany handled it well by saying she was busy at that moment but she would get it in a few moments. Angelica did not like that answer and proceeded to yell even more. After our very rude server walked away I pulled Brittanyover to ask if she was ok (fatherly instinct kicking in) she of course said yeh that she was very sorry about what I had just witnessed and I asked if she could do anything to make it a better experience for me and my wife and I replied with just keep smiling. Brittany was an amazing girl who smiled the entire time I was in the resteraunt which made it a little bit better

• Stayed: October 2013
nbartholow, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Louisville-Airport KY Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We do appreciate the information given to us. We will use this information to continue with what makes our guest happy and take what is not good and make changes. We apologize for your experience in the Blue Horse. It is not our practice to have anyone yelling or raising their voice. I have taken your review and passed it along to the Managers of the Blue Horse so this type of action can be addressed.
Again, thank you for the review and please accept our apologies.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

I stayed here for the National FFA convention held at the Expo Center at the end of October. The service was excellent, staff was very pleasant. I was worried about not getting sleep due to the thousands of high school students also staying here. This was not the case at all, it is a very solid quiet hotel. The only sleep issue I had was the planes at 4am leaving the airport. I would definitely come back next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Nona826, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Louisville-Airport KY Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Thank you so much for choosing the Crowne Plaza Louisville, we are so happy that you found our staff to be pleasant and the service to be excellent, we do hope that you will return again when in the Louisville area.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Very nice hotel, Kentucky Expo Center is within walking distance. Had issue with room being cancelled but Eileen and her manager worked it and got us a room. Very busy place. The only thing was the bed was very high and almost difficult to get into for shorter people.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Nona826, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Louisville-Airport KY Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we are so sorry that there were issues with your reservation being cancelled and are happy that Eileen and Manager were able to work it out. We look forward to you returning,

Reviewed 4 November 2013

If this hotel were any closer to Louisville Int'l Airport, you wouldn't have to leave the terminal to get to it. The hotel van ride is nice and quick to/from. The staff is very friendly and the restaurant and bar on site is very reasonable. There is almost always a convention staying at this hotel, so if you aren't a fan of a little hustle and bustle, this place may not be for you. That being said, the hotel is pretty quiet. My only complaint would be most every room I have stayed in does not come with a thermostat that will allow the fan to run continuously. (I promise it's not operator error--the fan doesn't run unless the heater or AC is running--even though "Fan" is set to "On") With the hotel being close to the airport, and with the airport being a hub for UPS, a package company that flies planes overnight, it is not uncommon for jet noise to cause you to wake up in the middle of the night on weekdays if the fan is not running.

The fitness center is above average and the hotel location is extremely convenient for Churchill Downs, the University of Louisville, and the Kentucky Fairgrounds. In fact, the hotel van will usually take you to any of the above---time permitting.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Nona826, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Louisville-Airport KY Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza for your recent stay and taking the time to send in your review, we are so glad that you were able to enjoy our shuttle and Blue Horse Restaurant and Bar. Please accept our apologies for the thermostat not running like you wanted. We do hope your travels will bring you back to us soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza twice for conventions and absolutely love it! The rooms are immaculate and updated. Our meals catered for the conventions were delicious. I ate at the on-site restaurant which was very tasty and reasonably priced. There is a bowling alley right across the street if you are looking for some pool or bowling. The newer section of the bowling alley is really nice and non-smoking (bonus!) Some rooms have balconies, which were nice, but you have to be careful because the door automatically locks behind you and you're in trouble without a key! The beds and pillows are the most comfortable I've ever experienced!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Nona826, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Louisville-Airport KY Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for your review, we are so pleased that you had such a wonderful edperience, we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was at the hotel for a conference. A month prior when I phoned to make my reservations with the sales desk, I had to call hotel numerous times before finally speaking to someone, VM indicated person was in just couldn't take a call or return one promptly. I finally received a call back when I left a complaint on the line.

Once I arrived for my stay, I asked for a king bed as I had not indicated a preference, however I am an IPG rewards member and it is stated on my profile as such. A king room was not available at 12:30 p.m., and I was told that they were cleaning a room and it would be half hour to an hour. After an hour elapsed I approached the desk again and asked if the room was ready. A desk clerk, Dana, told me that check in time was 3 p.m., and that the room was not ready. She indicated she would phone housekeeping again. After another hour elapsed I approached the desk again, still the room was not ready. I continued to watch crowds of people check in and finally at 3:00 p.m., Dana approached me to tell me my room was ready. Wouldn't a hotel be prepared for the huge crowd that was arriving on Sunday by hiring extra housekeeping staff? People were arriving from around the country for a conference and can't control air travel times to match with the hotel's ability to check them in.

The hotel shuttle only picks up/drops off at the airport so I had to call a cab for a movie. I was told to come downstairs. After 20 minutes of waiting with no taxi arriving, I approached the desk twice, and was told they didn't know who I talked to or where the bellman was. By this time, it was too late to make the movie. I phoned the desk and asked them about arranging the taxi and was told they couldn't control taxis, and that maybe I should have set the taxi appointment up earlier in the day! Really? The staff at this hotel takes responsibility for NOTHING, they are rude and unprofessional. Being a frequent traveler I have never seen such a hotel treat it's guest as if they were bothersome. I will NEVER return to this hotel, conference or not.

The reviews I have read here don't really match up with my experience. Even though they went through remodeling 4-5 years ago, the hotel is still not as nice as a Holiday Inn Express, the gym is incredibly small, the equipment so-so. One bright spot was the restaurant and room service, all servers there were pleasant.

I have stayed numerous times at the Crowne Plaza in White Plains and never received poor service or received unprofessional service or encountered impolite staff. This hotel could use a refresher course in providing good guest service instead of acting as if its' guests are pebbles in their shoes.

Hamptons are nicer than this place, as are Holiday Inns. Guest service is not practiced here.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Nona826, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Louisville-Airport KY Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for contacting us regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Louisville Airport. On Behalf of the hotel, please accept my apologies for the problems encountered during your recent stay in our hotel. It is the Crowne Plaza Louisville Airports’ goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us, the feedback we receive enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.
On behalf of the Crowne Plaza Louisville Airport, we appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Honestly, I was NOT looking forward to staying here. I was in town for a large conference at the Expo Center. My history with airport hotels is mediocre, at best and my experiences with hotels near expo centers is sketchy, at best. I was very pleased to find a clean and safe hotel. Although near the airport, it was very quiet. The hotel does all it can to make this place a sanctuary-- I love the little spa packets included in the rooms.

1  Thank BeckyCakes
Nona826, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Louisville-Airport KY Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to send in your review of our hotel, we are so glad we exceeded your expectations and that you found us to be a clean and safe hotel, we do hope that you will retrun to stay with us again soon.