“Great location, clean room”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #30 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed 19 July 2011

After a little bit of trouble navigating through downtown Louisville and getting into the hotel parking ramp, my husband and I were able to quickly check into our room. The hotel was extremely busy as there was a wedding and a (canceled) concert taking place that night. The front desk employee we worked with was very friendly and helpful.

We were assigned a room in the tower across the street. Our room was very clean and relatively updated. We had an amazing view of the river and downtown.

The hotel is conveniently located to downtown restaurants and shopping. Parking isn't free, but for being downtown, it's very reasonable. Overall, we had a great time!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 July 2011

I spent 2 nights at the Galt House for a business meeting last weekend. Overall, I felt like the place was stuck in the 80s or early 90s and desperately needed an update. Maybe my expectations were too high to begin with, but I felt like it should have been nicer from what other people had told me.

I shared a room with 2 queen size beds with a colleague in the Rivue Tower on the 14th floor. We had a great view of the river to the west, and the room was huge - probably could have fit another queen size bed in it. The room itself could use some updating: CRT tv, rough sheets, and grimy bedspreads. Even with the windows 'sealed for our safety,' we could hear the traffic on I-64 below us all night. The room was clean, there was plenty of hot water, and the water pressure was good, so overall it was fine for me. I just would have been very disappointed if I'd paid for it myself.

I had lunch and the breakfast buffet at the Magnolia Cafe. The glasses never seemed to be very clean, and the waitstaff wasn't the most professional. The food was ok. Again, it just felt like an old rundown restaurant that really needing some updating.

I had a drink in the Jockey Silks bar with some friends. The atmosphere was fine, but the area reeked of fried food and cigarette smoke.

It sounded like the suites were huge, so if you need to maximize the number of people per room, this might be the best place downtown. Otherwise, I'll probably be staying in one of the Hilton properties in town the next time I'm up there and have a choice of where to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This place has so much potential. If you enjoy a cocktail at Venue on the 25th floor you see it. The restaurant/bar is modern and clean with great cocktails and a great view. The rest of the hotel is a dump. Our room smelled like an ashtray. Maids came once on a five night stay. Carpet worn out throughout. Uncomfortable bed. Creaking pipes every time you or neighbor uses water, all night long. Great location and we have a good sense of humor and rarely complain. Nice views from our room. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank pdjbanker
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I stayed at the Galt House for a professional conference, probably the sixth time I've stayed there or attended meetings. As usual, I had a good experience. The staff is welcoming and accomodating. The room was huge. I enjoyed drinks with friends at ALJ's bar in the beautiful conservatory that connects the two suite towers. Had a good breakfast at Cafe Magnolia in the hotel. Probably best of all, I accidentally left a prescription medication in my room. When I called the next day, the housekeeping staff went back to the room and found it, and held it for me until I was back in town a few days later.

If I had any complaint, it was that my room faced the interstate side (I-64) of the hotel and the traffic noise kept me awake. Definitely recommend you request a room on the south side of the hotel.

Wi-Fi is free in rooms, which is fantastic, but not in the meeting areas, which is a bit frustrating.

Room Tip: Request a room on the south side of the hotel to avoid traffic noise from I-64
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank KentuckyPilgrim
Reviewed 13 July 2011

The room was nice but I was on the 6th floor facing the other tower and the interstate traffic was loud. It woke me up a few times. The walls must be thin or I had some loud girls next door because I could hear most of their conversations! The room was clean and up to date!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We had a very pleasant stay at the Galt House. The room was large and clean. The beds were comfortable. And, the room service was very good. Our room had a terrific view of the Ohio River.

I learned a few things about the Galt: It's a bit of a party hotel at times; nice and quiet during the week, but plenty of people during the weekend. There are a few things that I'd have expected to be included and free, but you will have to pay extra, for example, there is a $5 dollar charge to use the fitness room (which is very well equiped by the way) and if you do not bring your own laptop computer or tablet PC or whatever, you will have to pay by the hour to use the computer. And, no complementary breakfast.

The location is super. It is near lots of restaurants, museums, and very interesting architecture.

We enjoyed our stay very much at the Galt House.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We booked through priceline for july 4 long weekend. Hotel is adjacent to KFC Yum center and close to Mohammed Ali center.Parking is $12/day for in and out facility. If you are traveling over weekend, you can park a block away for $ 5-7/day.
The only complaint I have is that Al carte breakfast & dinner order takes forever. I ordered Alcrate on both the days and the average wait time was 45 mins. Not that the restaurants were that crowded but just that they were slow to react.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family