“Horrible experience! Don't trust anything you're told at this place!”

Holiday Inn Louisville East - Hurstbourne
Ranked #32 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Orleans, Indiana
“Horrible experience! Don't trust anything you're told at this place!”
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I stayed at this Holiday Inn on Sat. March 12th with my daughter, a friend & her young daughter. Immediately after booking the room (a couple of months before our visit), my friend called to verify the reservation was for a room with 2 double beds. Because the hotel's website states they are 100% nonsmoking now, she didn't inquire about that. The day before we arrived she called again to ask if the hotel had a shuttle service that could take her & my daughter downtown to a concert & pick them up afterward. She was told it would be "no problem" & given the amount it would cost for this service.

When we arrived, the man at the front desk said we were being put in a SMOKING room with 1 king bed. He said, "You booked through PriceLine so you aren't guaranteed anything and this is all we have." (When my friend had called to verify the room she plainly told them she had booked through PriceLine & was assured of the 2 double bed room). We accepted the room & stopped further down the desk to discuss arranging the shuttle for transportation.

They were put on the shuttle schedule to be picked up at 7 pm. We again asked, "Can you pick them back up after the concert?" The woman said, "Of course. It's no problem. Just take this card & call us when you're ready to come back."

At 6:58pm, the front desk calls & says the shuttle is running behind & could we leave at 7:10 instead. We agreed & proceeded to the lobby at 7:10pm. My friend & daughter were dressed in costumes for the concert, but it was time for the shuttle & we had no intentions of "hanging out" in the lobby. However, the shuttle was STILL not there. I asked a lady at the front desk if she could check on the shuttle for us & she rudely said she'd check on it "in a minute" but never did. So when the manager walked by, I asked him to find their shuttle before they were late to the concert. Eventually, the shuttle showed up & they arrived at the concert with only a few min. to spare.

When it came time to come home, my friend called the hotel & was told they would check with the shuttle driver & call her back with an ETA & a location of where they'd be picked up. After about 15 min. passed, my friend called me & said, "Can find out what's going on with our ride?" So I called the front desk & was told that they couldn't go get them because they were picking up some other people. (I don't guess they had planned on calling her back & telling her this...) When I explained that we had been told they would have a ride back to the hotel, the man rudely said, "We don't guarantee transportation!" After arguing with him & telling him they'd just get a taxi (which was considerably more $$$), he ended up calling back a few min. & saying they'd get them. It was another 15 min. before they got to them. All in all, my friend & daughter were left stranded outside in downtown Louisville at midnight in cold winter temperatures for close to an hour.

The people working the front desk were the most uppity, rude, hotel employees I have ever encountered! I have been treated 100X nicer in MUCH more luxurious hotels than a Holiday Inn could ever be. The room itself was clean, but the pull out sofabed actually had a rip in the bottom part that held the mattress up so I ended up sleeping with my legs dangling all night. The smell of smoke was TERRIBLE!!! They most certainly are NOT a nonsmoking hotel as their website states they are. In fact, many of the rooms have signs on the doors stating whether they are smoking or nonsmoking rooms.

The pool was tiny, but clean. Unfortunately, several school teams of young people were staying at the hotel & the pool was not even close to being big enough to accommodate as many people that wanted to use it.

This stay could have been MUCH nicer if we just hadn't been lied to or treated like we were less important guests than everyone else. The hotel was packed full with the young teams & people who were there for a dog show (WITH all their dogs running everywhere).

I do have to say that the shuttle drivers were SUPER nice. They were friendly & happy to do their jobs. It's unfortunate that the front desk & management haven't taken any cues from these employees & learned that customer satisfaction is what makes or breaks their business.

I apologize for the length of this review, but I don't want anyone else to go through what we went through. I hope that this review saves someone else from wasting their hard earned money on a bunch of lies.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank kingpod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed 1 March 2011

If there is such a thing as hotel hell, then Satan gives this dump five stars. The rooms reek of a mixture of mildew and decades of cigarette smoke, the furnishings and carpet are classic trailer park and the conventions that stay there are like a Jerry Springer audience.

There are FAR better properties nearby...run away!

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank Rickybobbyshake

Travellers are raving about these Louisville hotels

Burlington
Reviewed 30 January 2011

It was a nice change to join the Priority Club get together for appetizer's and speak with the concerge at the end of my day. The rooms were most relaxing for me , with great pillows and a comfortable bed!! I truely needed it after my long day at work. Great stay overall.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Hoorn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 30 November 2010

I truly don't understand why a lot of people rate this hotel high. I've stayed there for almost a week for a training and was glad to get out.
Let's start with the good part: the beds. The beds were good, firm and soft simulateously. The cleaning was also OK.
The location is on a busy junction, outside the city. There is nothing in the area. The rooms were outdated, as most of the hotel is.
The service was friendly, but annoyingly slow and inefficient. Checking in takes them 10 minutes a person. if a queu is waiting, that is irritating. The bar is no better.
The breakfast is OK, but the rest of the food is either too tastless or much too salt. The coffee is the worst ever.

The meeting room was seperated from the one next room by a thin wall. We heard our neighbours better than our own trainer. When we've asked the hotel staff to take care of this by asking the other room to turn the volume down, they refused.

My first night I was put in a room on the inside. This was a smoking room, with the scent that belongs to it, but without the possibility to open a window. Moreover, because of the construction no daylight could enter the room. Even on midday, the lights needed to be turned on. On top of this, a party was organised on saturday evenening / night just under my window. I couldn't sleep... This happened again on friday with karaoke, keeping the guests awake when they wanted to sleep.

Overall: poor hotel, the staff doesn't try to make the stay pleasant for the guests.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank rrooze
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We met family in Louisville because it was halfway for everyone. My family had stayed previously in Louisville, and once at this Holiday Inn. I recommended it and offered to make arrangements.

From my initial exposure to the staff in the sales area, scheduling multiple rooms, to the staff on Thanksgiving for their fantastic buffet, to the front desk staff to the staff of the in-building restaurant, everyone was extremely friendly and very helpful.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time, had no complaints on the facility and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed 14 November 2010

From the moment Bobby picked me up at the airport after having a terrible day, I was treated as if I were family. The whole front office staff, to Hamid, Carolyn, Vanessa, Stephanie, Chris, all treated me wonderfully. I laughingly checked for bed bugs, etc. the first night and nothing but cleanliness, and what a wonderful bed. I had a refrigerator and microwave in my room and everything was as the pictures showed. I ate at the restaurant in the bar area and the food was wonderful as was the room service. I have made friends for life and I plan to come back for the Kentucky Derby and will only stay at this hotel, they made my stay a wonderful experience. Michele

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Kentucky
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I have stayed here twice, one night on each visit. Our check in was easy, parking was easy. On my first visit, I stayed in a garden level room. It was small, but charming, with a door to the interior courtyard. You could sit outside at one of the wrought iron tables to read the paper and enjoy your coffee. Our atrium view room was clean and large, with a king-size bed, large bathroom, and separate desk area. Air conditioning was strong. This hotel has a nice multi-level atrium, a water feature, a piano, snack bar, and a large buffet style breakfast. There is at least one family of ducks living outside the hotel. Cute, although you should keep a close eye on the droppings. Staff did an excellent job of cleaning up the parking lot.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple