“Dirty shower, poor service”

Holiday Inn Louisville East - Hurstbourne
Ranked #32 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The room smelled bad, the shower was dirty, the window shade had many small holes that let light in, and the tv remote battery was dead and the hotel didn't have any more. Teenage boys were running up and down the halls and playing on the elevator. Typically we receive a complimentary snack on arrival and we did not.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank 1faircritic
Scott R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Louisville East - Hurstbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel.

From what you've said you were not happy with the condition of your particular room.
That was possibly in our original wing of the building and I apologize.
I inspect a large number of rooms on a daily basis and will re-educate my room inspectors also.

Cleanliness and upkeep is foremost on my mind since I have been given the task of maintaining our facility as the new hotel manager until IHG approves our architectural drawings for renovations of the main building.

The teenage boys during that weekend in question were noted and our consensus is that unless any group can behave appropriately they will not be asked back to the hotel. There is no excuse for children being unsupervised away from home.

Please forgive us and hopefully you return soon.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Louisville East - Hurstbourne

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel was reasonably priced and located in a good part of the city that isn't too crowded but is easily drivable to major attractions. Room was clean and check in was fast. Indoor pool was OK. Hot tub jets were broken which annoyed me. Kids ate for free at breakfast in the hotel restaurant too so it was basically a free meal for the family. Good option for Louisville trip. Would stay here again if I visited.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Scott R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Louisville East - Hurstbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your compliments and comments,

The gold standard for Holiday Inn has been for years "Kids Eat Free" and we are happy to honor this value since we all know kids are born hungry.

I was unaware of the hot tub jets being inoperable, but that is no excuse. I will immediately get my chief engineer investigating at once.

Please come see us again when you are in the area and look at our upcoming changes.

Hotel Manager 502-426-2600

Reviewed 29 June 2014

the room is comfortable with basic amenities, near to highway, has a good restaurant in the facility. has a decent jacuzzi and pool. internet is free. Plenty of parking space.
there is smoking in the patio, which can be annoying. The breakfast is not included, and without voucher it is about 10 dollars which can be expensive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review of our property.

As a former smoker for over a year, I understand completely about smoking. Especially when someone else does not.
Please come see us again when you're in the area.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel has a beautiful atrium but that's it.When you go to the elevator located in the rear of the hotel the truth comes out.It needs to have a face lift, it s old and out dated,this chain has made its fortune on average people and it's a shame that they have forgotten their humble beginnings. The hotel being of old decor gave me a sense of unclean therefore I did not rest well feeling that when the lights went out uninvited guess would crawl and creep. On the up side it was quiet and the breakfast was good.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Juaquar1

Thank you for your comments regarding our property,

You are correct the décor is still from an earlier time period. We are finishing up the planning stages to bring our hotel into more of the 21st century soon. Behind the scenes start in three weeks, however, our rooms in the tower should be more to your liking by the end of the year.

Please feel free to stop by in the future to seen our progress.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We book this room through Hotwire and we use that site frequently. This is the first time I felt like the hotel did NOT match the star rating. This hotel was advertised as a 3-star. It definitely is not.

My check-in was speedy and friendly. Lobby looked nice. My room was in a wing with rooms that had both interior and exterior doors. For me, exterior room doors is an automatic star deduction. The door into that wing had a key swipe pad that was non-functioning the entire we were there. Nice to know that anyone can enter that wing right from the parking lot out of view of the front desk. The room had a a lamp with a broken switch on the base that was visible without even trying to use it. The tub had a hair on it and the bathroom had visible dirt around the toilet and a pop can pull tab stuck in it.

My biggest gripe was with room cleaning. We left for the day at 8:30 and returned at 4:10. Our room still had not been clean! At 4:20, they knocked and wanted to clean, but we were in the room getting ready to go out to dinner, so we had to just take towels and go without a cleaning. We travel a lot and I have NEVER had housekeeping arrive so late!

I'd say that the price we paid was fair for the room. It just wasn't the bargain I thought given the star rating that was advertised. We won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amishamy

Thank you for your candid review of our property.

You are correct that the older section has issues and that is why we are scheduling its decommissioning soon. The cleaning is always foremost on my mind since we are a non-renovated property with older furniture. The condition always makes it seem we are not clean, however, I can assure you I personally inspect rooms every day.

Please stay with us again before or after our upcoming renovations.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was in the Louisville area for a few days on business and was guided to the area due to the local areas for shopping and restaurants. The hotel staff was great, I needed to send some urgent faxes (yes who still used them!) and they were great to ensure they were sent and the send reports provided to me. The breakfast was very good and quickly served. Parking was convenient and free. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Get something away from the street and elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your stay and we appreciate all our guests, truly.
For without you, we would not have been in business for all these years.
Please stay with us again even before our location gets the upgrades.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here in a king room for a short night due to business. I found all employees to be very friendly during my late check-in. The room was a large king bed and it was very clean and comfortable. The only critical item I can think of, and this is very minor, is the shower curtain is a tad too short and allowed a lot of water to get on the bathroom floor.

For those not aware this is a Holiday Inn and not a Holiday Inn Express so there is not a free continental breakfast. They did have a very nice breakfast buffet for only $10.55 including tax and drinks. There was a very good selection with three meats, biscuits and gravy, cereal with assorted toppings, and a chef cooking made-to-order eggs and omelets. Both the hostess and the chef were extremely friendly and helpful.

Combined with an all around friendly staff, comfortable room, and a nice breakfast buffet it was a pleasant stop during a hectic two days of business.

This hotel is located on Hurstbourne Pkwy where there are a lot of fast food and full service dining establishments along with shopping (Wal-Mart is close).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our property. You are correct that we are not a Holiday Inn Express and no breakfast is provided. Our Chef and his 10 plus staff try very hard to make every meal a banquet for all our guests.
Please stay with us again soon!