“Clean and Inviting”

Ranked #57 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Clean and Inviting”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

This Holiday Inn is very nice. The lobby is open, modern and inviting. The rooms are clean and well-decorated. There are several restaurants nearby and a sports bar attached to the hotel itself. I do not know if this hotel is new, but it smells new. I felt like I could truly relax after a long drive. Furthermore, the internet speed was quite fast, something I don't think I have ever said about another hotel. My room was a little on the small side, and I think a family of four would feel cramped in a room with two double beds. However, the room size was just fine for me as a solo traveler. The only downside for me was that there was no complimentary breakfast.

1 Thank Motowngirl77
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear Motowngirl77,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all your comments about the hotel. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean,safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for staying with us. We value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for future guests. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Holiday Inn Airport South

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
indiana
Reviewed 26 March 2013

This is a Holiday Inn for sure. Nice, modern facility. Mostly clean. What I noticed first was the absence of trash receptacles at the entrance form the rear parking lot and in the main lobby. There was a stray soda can on the rear parking lot, which I decided to pick up, thinking that I would simply deposit in the trash can near the door. NO trash can! So I thought there must be one in the lobby... Nope! I asked at the front desk where I was directed to the receptacle outside the front door! I wonder if that is why it was on the ground in the first place. Then I noticed that the bathroom tissue and the facial tissue in the room was the cheapest poorest quality available. Further, the people who cleaned my room were careless about doing so, leaving debris on the floor on a cople of occasions and failing to re-stock toiletries. All of these are things I might expect from a $59 roadside motel, but this is a Holiday Inn and the details were not worthy of the price level of this hotel. The restaurant breakfast buffet is very good!

Room Tip: The rear faces a parking lot and an industrial area the front gets night noise from the UPS aircraft...
Dear rikd57,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We value all of your feedback. We are very sorry for any inconvenience that you were caused. We will pass these comments on to our staff.. We use guest feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope you will consider us again in the future.

Louisville, KY
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed at this hotel during convention and it was great. Location and service is extremly well. The SportingNews Grill and Bar has one of the best steak my group ever had it. We will be back again next year. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms in back.....
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear RajeshLouisville_Ky,
Thank you for telling us about your stay with us during the convention you attended. We really appreciate all guest feedback. We will pass your comments on to our staff. They really appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to so see you again in the future.

Janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This was our first time to stay near the Expo Center, we usually stay slightly north in Indiana. The hotel was coordinated by the sale manager for the sale that we attended. The hotel had been renovated and it was clean, with staff assisting us politely. The pool temp was not very warm and the pavers used during remodeling around the pool were not level in some areas to be safe to walk on. The bathrooms either did not have convenient location to hang clothes, towels and handle towels, or they had them in the wrong places. Even if these improvements were not made, we would consider staying again. Close to many restaurants, easy access to the Expo Center.

Dear lrw0956,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. Thank you for telling us about your concerns. We hope that you were not inconvenienced at all thank you for telling us about your stay. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you for your time. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I had a very brief one night stay here for business. It is an OK hotel, but there are too many other good options in the area to give it above a 3 star rating.

The location works well. You can see the airport from the higher floors and it is very accessible to I65. There are your usual assortments of fast-food and chain dining nearby.

The physical property is in great shape. The hotel is three years old and still feels crisp and new. Everything in my room was in good shape and arranged very well. The room itself was very clean.
Two minor complaints... 1. The climate control was not as nice as the rest of the room. There is a wall unit- however it isn't hooked up. All operations occur at the window unit. The "fan" feature didn't work, so the relatively loud unit just cycled on and off all night. I'm a heavy sleeper so it didn't really bother me too much, but I could see how it could cause some a problem. 2. The TV Cable was bizarre. There is a guide for channels, but it was inaccurate. The channel progression is something like 1, 2, 12-2, 12-34, I really didn't get it.

Breakfast was a great experience. The food itself was typical mediocre buffet food, but the service was outstanding. The attendent's name was Tilly, and she was awesome.

Overall, the customer service at the front desk was weak. I was made to feel like an inconvenience when I arrived just after 10PM. No greeting, no platinum recognition, no upgrades, nothing. I even had to confirm that my number was attached to reservation. I was hoping for an upgraded room (and even was willing to pay for it), but I was told there were only two types of rooms- "Kings and 2 beds".
Check out was almost the same experience, except for a manager who was witnessing the exchange and seemed to "get it" when it comes to customer service.

I've certainly stayed in a lot of worse places. With the right training and personnel this place could easily be better.

Room Tip: I had an i65- facing King on the 5th floor. It was reasonably quiet, no complaints.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TDbusiness
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear TDbusiness,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am pleased that the room accommodations lived up to your expectations. However, I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A
Boston, MA
Reviewed 25 January 2013

The building itself appears very new. Which would normally lead to a good stay, as at least in my opinion, the condition of the facility and guest rooms is a large portion of the experience. The exterior of the building was very good. The lobby, while a bit barren, was decent. The rooms were pretty nice as well, including a good sized flat screen TV, and good quality bed and bedding. From there it went a bit downhill.

The room had a faint cigarette smell, and I realized there were ashtrays and that they had given me a smoking room (despite having specifically booked non-smoking). Given, it seemed like a very busy period in the area, with most other hotels booked full (probably lucky to get a room at all). And I assume that smoking rooms are more common in this part of the country than I'm used to. But they at least could have informed me of what I was getting. Overall, front desk service was sufficient, although not particularly friendly.

The shower was only luke warm (too cold really) with the knob turned all the way to "hot". It seemed normal (sufficiently hot) the other 2 mornings I stayed at this hotel. But I would not expect a new facility to have hot water problems.

There was no remote control for the TV. I informed the front desk in the morning, and there was a remote when I got back to the room later in the day. But this one didn't work. The LED on the remote did not light at all when the buttons were pushed. So I suspect they gave me one with dead batteries. I was pretty busy with work most of my stay, so I basically gave up on getting a working remote. Not a huge deal really, but you would think the person would check that the device worked before leaving it.

You can have breakfast included with some packages. But I didn't get it for my government per diem rate. Breakfast is served in the attached restaurant. Its pricey if you don't have it included with your stay ($12). But being a buffet, I at least figured it would be a convenient, quick choice before having to run off to my work day. I was wrong, as I was left waiting to be seated for over 10 minutes (a manager-looking employee told me that someone would be there to help my "right away"). I decided to seat myself, and helped myself to the buffet. I asked the only server there for coffee (once she finally showed up), which did not arrive for over 20 minutes. When it arrived, it was much too hot to drink, and I really had to go to work. The server did not pay any more attention to me, so I had to hunt her down to pay for the meal. The whole experience was agonizingly slow, and pretty terrible really. The same restaurant is open for lunch and dinner, and looks like a modern, decent looking bar/grill type place. But if the dinner service is anything like the breakfast, I'd stay far away.

The hotel has a good location at least, very close to the airport and very close to the highway, and a decent number of restaurants. There is some air traffic during the night, due to around-the-clock operations by UPS (which as a huge presence here). But I actually didn't find the aircraft noise obtrusive, and it didn't wake me up at all. A short drive from here, you will see homes with bars over the windows and doors, which would lead me to believe that the area is not the safest place to be. Just something to keep in mind, as personal safety should always be a consideration.

To sum it up, overall the condition of the facility was good, and location is convenient. But the overall service and other quirks made from a pretty average, or even below-average stay. I'll likely try a different hotel the next time I have to be in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank dcmark73
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Dear dcmark73,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that the you found the room to be nice. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects during your stay. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We hope that you take the time to stop in for a visit soon to see how we have taken every comment very seriously in order to make your future stays with us as pleasant as possible.

Karen G.
Reviewed 1 January 2013

The hotel was perfect for our New Year's Eve plans. The front desk staff was very nice and the rooms were clean. I was very disappointed in the way the clean staff behave. Check out is not till noon. Before 8:30 am housekeeping lightly knocked on our door and proceeded to walk in. Thankfully my husband had the bathroom door open. The house keeper apologized but still woke me up. An hour and a half later he almost entered our room again and told my husband the room needed cleaning. Finally at approximately 10:30 we loaded out belonging on a cart and house keeping entered the room while we were waiting in the elevator. I probably will not stay that this particular hotel again for that reason. There is a very nice Comfort Suites next door that doesn't have harassing housekeeping.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Countrygirl1995
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear Countrygirl1995,

Many thanks for your feedback of our property. I am happy that you found our reception staff amiable and location convenient. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced brought by the housekeeping staff. I understand the discomfort that this caused you and I appreciate you letting us know about this issue as this is our best means of improving guest satisfaction.

Despite your disappointment, I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Pam G.