“Once again .. Great.”

Ranked #56 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Rhodelia, Kentucky
“Once again .. Great.”
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Another wonderful experience, from June Speck (manager) and the Holiday Inn staff.. Clean, Courteous, Comfort.. And a fantastic shuttle to the airport! Can't thank you enough for taking care of us, before our trip to Jamaica. See you again soon!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Dawn,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of your feedback. We hope that you enjoy your trip to Jamaica. We will pass all of your great feedback on to our staff. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Holiday Inn Airport South

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My flight got cancelled and ended up here for the night. I am an IHG Gold Elite member and due to bad weather, a very large farming show at the convention center and valentines day, and holiday weekend this smoking room on the sixth floor cost 179 bucks.

My thoughts firstly I had to battle to get a ride from the airport, I guess here Holiday Inn doesn't do regular stops by the Louisville International Airport. I waited in the cold for almost 40 min and ended up paying a cab fair of 25 dollars to get to the hotel.

When I finally arrived at the hotel I wasn't greeted as a Gold Elite member and didn't receive anything special, just as a regular guest. I was lucky to get a room as they and all other hotels where fully booked, either way I think the privilege of this membership is to be treated a little better than the average guest.

I did mention my frustrations to the check-in clerk and got a couple coupons which I probably wont use. My room was on the sixth floor I guess for smokers and even though I am an ex-smoker and do enjoy the occasional cigar I almost gagged not only being on the smoking floor but the room smelt like a smokers room.

I eventually got used to the smell and decided to have a beer. I was tired and lazy after a long drive and decided to call room service for a beer, oh there is no bar or restaurant in the hotel, its right next door called News Grill. The delivery time was 30 min. So I went down to get it, Took a while for bar tender, wasn't actually a real bartender here, they didn't even know what an IPA was. Eventually I got my and went back to room.

Around 8:30p I decided it was time for food. Called room service again and after the first call and being on hold forever I hang up and called again. They answered pretty quick and got my order and told me I had to go get it cause they where two busy to deliver. At this point I hung up and was pretty mad. Eventually they called me back and gave me some excuses as to their over whelming dilemma of being busy and understaffed.

Finally a waitress by the name of Dawn called back and apologized and explained the situation. I placed my large order in and she offered to deliver it personally which settled me down a bit. I ordered an expensive $21 steak and some other stuff. When it arrived the food was good, but steak was over cooked.

Anyway as far as Holiday Inns go this place defiantly in my opinion is a bad example of what they can be.

Room Tip: Don't select smoking rooms unless you are a smoker, they stink. make sure you call in for shutt...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Robert C, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Anthony S.

We apologize you encountered time issues with your recent stay with us. We try to make everyone who stays with us as comfortable as possible even in times of full occupancy. We truly hope you choose to stay with us again so that we may live up to your expectations.

-Hotel Management
Tamworth, Australia
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel whilst attending the last National Quartet Convention to be held in Louisville and although a little distance from the Convention Centre, we found the hotel to be clean, friendly and convenient utilising a hire car to make the 10 minute trip each way. The room was large with good facilities although the aircraft noise took a couple of nights to get used to.
The breakfast was excellent and the friendly staff finally got the hang of making hot tea by the end of our stay. Although our door lock malfunctioned, it was replaced promtly. There could have been a few more laundry areas however, as although we were the first customers one morning, others were queuing to use this facility. We recommend this hotel for future travellers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Glenn R,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We are so glad that you and your wife stayed with us during the National Quartet. We really value all guest feedback. We hope you enjoyed your time in Louisville. We hope that you will choose us again in the future.

Whitesville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed here for a night over the weekend to attend the KY state fair. The hotel is nice, clean, newer hotel with great service. The rooms were excellent, the pool area looked a little small...but there was a door that led from the pool to an outdoor seating area and a basketball court that looked nice!

At check-in the clerk gave us certificates for a free breakfast and $5 off each entree for dinner. I was a little nervous when we sit down in the restaurant for dinner that night because we were the only people in there. But, the food was great, and the beer prices with it being happy hour was good too. But, when we used our free certificates for breakfast in the restaurant the next morning, we were not impressed. The bacon was not edible, and the biscuits and gravy was not much better. I would have been really disappointed had we paid for this. My advice would be to pass on their breakfast unless they give it to you for free.

The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport. We talked the shuttle driver into venturing out a little and he dropped us off at the fair for a nice tip. He even came back to pick us up! When we returned to the hotel later that evening, we went into the vending area and to our surprise, their vending area does not include any food/candy. We were told to walk to the hotel next door as we could find something there.

Room Tip: Pass on the breakfast!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Travis928,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of your feedback. We hope that you enjoyed your time in Louisville. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Gulfport, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We recently visited the city of Louisville, KY for the graduation of our son from the Southern Police Institute at the University of Louisville. We stayed at the Holiday Inn located at 6551 Paramount Park Drive, off Fern Valley Road. This hotel is at least four years old and looked new. Our room and its bath were spotless and the hotel has a great staff serving their guests. My grandson loved well kept the indoor pool. Their complimentary breakfast for their guest in the morning is served in the restaurant adjoining the hotel lobby and is top notch with our server bringing hot coffee dispensers to our table. Be sure to get your complimentary breakfast coupon from the reservations clerk each morning. We really enjoyed our three day stay here. If in the Louisville area, don't hesitate to stay here, I think you will be well pleased.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Wsaucier,

Thank you for telling us about your visit with us. We are so glad that you and your family stayed with us and that we could accommodate you. Thank you for telling us your experience with the breakfast. We value all guest feedback. It allows us to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better. Thank you for staying with us. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I stayed at this holiday inn for 4 nights 7/8 through 7/11. Was in town for work, with other work associates also staying at this hotel. I had stayed off this exit before, but was not impressed with the next door hotel. The access is easy, however, turning left to head to the interstate can be tricky during traffic. Take the little road to the light near Thorntons for safety.

Holiday Inn was MUCH more comfortable. The place felt clean and was, the beds were comfortable. Staff were just fine, some nicer than others. The on-site restaurant was good for breakfast, a nice clean and well presented buffet with warm food as well as yogurt, etc. The coffee was quite good, and they had decaf which was great for me. The hostess was nice, brought and poured first cup and gave you a to-go cup as well. For evening drinks, they treat you right, and have an outside area too.

Speaking of smoke - this hotel has the 6th floor designated for smoking rooms. I was VERY worried that the ventilation system wouldn't be good enough and in my non-smoking room I'd still smell it. I have a very sensitive smeller so I had called ahead to ask for a middle floor. I was in room 313 and never smelled a hint of smoke!! The only time was in the elevator after a smoking guest may have been in it.

Regarding the room -- I found the beds very comfortable! Yay! One thing, there is only 1 towel rack, it is positioned on the vanity unit directly in front of sink, which is directly next to the toilet -- that screams germs to me. I would have rather had a rack above the sink for hand/face towels and a rack above toilet for bath towel. Bath towels never dry on the door hooks. Anyway, a picky thing for sure, but the room was just fine for me and was clean.

However, I had a couple issues and it was all based on issues with housekeeping.

1. When I opened my door at check-in, (which was odd numbered, so it is on the WEST side of building) it was HOT in the room. Unfortunately, they had turned the A/C unit completely off! I called front desk and they said that they are SUPPOSED to make sure it is on, especially on the west side rooms. I would recommend calling ahead of your trip and asking for a room on the EAST side of building. This will help with too much sun and possibly some of the noise from highway and airport. GOOD thing was you could put the fan on constant, so it wasn't off and on all night.
2. I had my do not disturb sign on the door. I am not messy and prefer not to have housekeeping every day. After the 2nd nights stay, put sign up, went to work and came back at 5pm only to see the sign removed, the room cleaned and the window drapes wide open. Sounds ridiculous to complain, but this was a problem for two reasons...first, I had the sign up for a reason - don't enter! Second, because they wanted to make the room appear nice (which of course it was with fresh towels and the bed made) they opened the drapes. This of course made my room hot again -- UGH. I called front desk, the apologized and said they'd mention it to the manager.

The exercise room, what can I say? Probably would rather see 2 treadmills and the eliptical machine had something wrong as I could never adjust the resistance low enough. I had to get off it or I would have killed my legs!

I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again. In fact, the only reason I'd research a hotel again is just to make sure that recent reviews correspond with the good experience I recently had.

You'd have to be pretty picky to not be happy here. Enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for an east-side room (even numbers) and middle of hall away from elevators or stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Holiday Inn Airport South, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear KKJACKS,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of our business travelers. We strive as a hotel to provide a clean ,safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for all of your feedback. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.

Loveland, Ohio
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I was in the area for one night and needed to find a decent place to sleep. Seeing that this hotel was on a 5,000 point break for a room and a newer property I thought I would give it a go ahead. Upon entering I noticed that the hotel was extremely clean which is always a plus. Only took about 30 seconds to be greeted and about 2 minutes to check in. Being a Platinum member I was given a coupon for free breakfast and $5 off any purchase at the Sporting News Grill for Dinner. After getting to my room I realized I wasn't upgraded to anything and only got a standard room (not to happy about that, I have always been upgraded). Although the room was very clean it wasn't very big for what i'm used to and turned out to be extremely noisy later into the night. The tv was a flat screen that had a very nice selection of channels but no HD signal...Really? it's 2013.........that should be a given for a standard these days...especially in a newer property. I went down around 12am to use the fitness and business center and noticed it said they were closed at 11 but the doors were still unlocked including the one for the pool....I mean who closes the business center??? After asking the front desk if I was in a dream or that was real she said it was in fact closed and half the time they just don't lock the door....seems confusing to me...... Breakfast was a nightmare..I walked in and no one was in sight for quite sometime. Eventually after I saw another guest walk around the corner I figured out where the buffet actually was and decided to take it upon myself to get food and sit. After sitting down once and going back I finally see someone who works in the breakfast area. She asked me if I wanted any coffee and I said no and proceeded to ask if I could get a mr. pibb to drink and she said it wasn't included in the buffet...while i'm shocked to see I could drink Tropicana orange juice which costs much more to give a guest than soda I just let it be. I then asked if I could get egg whites instead of the eggs that were on the bar and was again told it would be a significant extra charge....since when do hotels do that? most have a station to order EXACTLY what you want! Outside of that the potatoes and fresh fruit was quite tasty. I guess the question is would I return? Probably not....Unless it was the only thing available!I would rather hit a Marriott or something else closer to U of L. If the issues get fixed I would reconsider....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear tyler45150,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We really appreciate all of your feedback. We are sorry that you were not satisfied with you staff. We will pass this feedback on to our staff. We use all guest feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you, and future guests to the hotel. Thank you so much for your time. We hope that you will consider us again in the future.