“Disappointing”

Waverly Hills Sanatorium
Ranked #28 of 181 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is on the U.S. National Register of Historical Places. The massive five story hospital was built in 1926 and sits atop Waverly Hill today. It housed 400 patients and was one of the largest facilities of its kind. Waverly served the community through decades of the worse TB outbreak in the country. After closing in 1961, due to the introduction of life saving antibiotics, the hospital reopened in 1962 as "Woodhaven Geriatric Center" which operated the facility until 1982 when it was closed by the state. Ravaged by years of neglect, the present owners have breathed new life into the building by conducting tours though the facility in effort to restore it to a useful asset for the community once again. Waverly has earned her place as one of the most haunted places in the country and has been host to many films and TV shows. During tour season (March – August) Waverly offers several options of visiting. *2hr. Introductory Paranormal Tour which includes a 20 film then a walk through the building.*2hr. Historical walk through tour held one Sunday each month*Public or Private overnight sessions for ghost hunting enthusiasts. For all tour or overnight reservations or inquiries contact the office open daily 9am to 5pm Monday - Friday.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 26 October 2013

First, the security guard said that we could use flashlights but the guide said ONLY IN THE STAIRWELL. I understand the spiritual factor of Waverly Hills Sanatorium but how can you enjoy all of its mystery in the dark? The tour group was TOO big and TOO loud, the tour was TOO fast, there was no time to look around AND the guide was not very informative or enthusiastic. He mentioned his short time as a "ghost hunter", that he was on his sixth week of the tour AND the stairs and how others experienced the visit. The only "story" was of the nurse who was found hanged. He did mention some of the treatments used for TB at the beginning of the tour before entering. The "music" selection was dreadful and loud. The outside "entertainment" was lacking of entertainment IF you could see the show. They should not have the haunted house and the mini tour at the same time. Do you really think we could have an experience with that disturbing downstairs display. They should also reiterate what the website states for those lacking good health due to the many steps needed to get to the fifth floor. Most people do not review websites before visiting an event. It was all poorly done. This visitors opinion is that it is overrated and overpriced. DO NOT BOTHER GOING. It is a shame that a once beautiful building that tried to do good things has fallen. This building and its owners have gone to commercialism, get 'em in, get 'em out, get their money.

11  Thank Phoenix6666
There are newer reviews for Waverly Hills Sanatorium

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I attended a two hour tour of Waverly Hills this past summer with several aquaintences from work. We all went on the two hour tour which covered much of the old sanitorium. The tour itself was interesting, not only seeing this relic of the last tuberculosis epidemic in America, but the history behind the place. One highlight was the 'death tunnel'...a steep tunnel which runs from the top of the ridge this facility is located down to the river valley. According to our tour guide there used to be a train depot at the base. Every night bodies would be taken down one side of the tunnel even as the staff would be walking up the opposite side.
The tour ended on the fourth floor, where it is said a majority of the odd happenings have occurred. While I did not notice anything, my friends claimed to have seen something in the shadows.
Probably the worst aspect of the tour was the number of people grouped in each tour. We easily had 20 people and it may have been better if the tours had 10 - 15 people each.

2  Thank KentuckyJim68
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have been to Waverly many times and it just keeps getting better with each visit. This last visit we brought our youngest ghost hunters along on the 2 hour tour to see what they would think of it. Everyone had a great time and really enjoyed the experience.

4  Thank Steven M
Reviewed 13 October 2013

All week my friends and i anticipated our trip to Waverly. We waited in our car to get through the gate for over an hour. We stood in line for a little over 2 1/2 hours. We decided to take the mini tour. A 30 minute tour of floors 2-5 is what u get...they said. PSSH! We walked up to the fifth floor to the infamous room 502. YAY. They showed us the cafeteria on the first floor, and a ladys room who...obviously passed from TB. While we are trying to get a view of the inside....without any lights..mind you...we hear "hurry up, keep up with the group!" My friends and I could have spent our $120 at the liquor store and had a better time at home. Dont waste your money. Go see a movie....or go to the liquor store.

8  Thank rena2178
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Though I didn't personally experience any supernatural activity, I was really impressed by the 2-hour historic tour my friends and I took at Waverly.

The tour was very well organized. There were probably 50-75 people in the building, but they broke us up into several groups. Each group had a pair of tour guides - one to lead the tour and one to make sure nobody gets lost in the dark. I have to say that the organization and care they took in making sure we had the best experience possible was commendable.

The history of Waverly Hills is very sad, but I personally didn't get the feeling that anything was lurking in the dark there. However, some of my group felt VERY differently. :)

You should see this beautiful old building and decide for yourself. It's well worth the money.

2  Thank JamesDerbyCity