“Different, but not the best tour ”

Waverly Hills Sanatorium
Ranked #28 of 182 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Owner description: The Waverly Hills Sanatorium is on the U.S. National Register of Historical Places. The massive five story hospital was built in 1926 and sits atop Waverly Hill today. It housed 400 patients and was one of the largest facilities of its kind. Waverly served the community through decades of the worse TB outbreak in the country. After closing in 1961, due to the introduction of life saving antibiotics, the hospital reopened in 1962 as "Woodhaven Geriatric Center" which operated the facility until 1982 when it was closed by the state. Ravaged by years of neglect, the present owners have breathed new life into the building by conducting tours though the facility in effort to restore it to a useful asset for the community once again. Waverly has earned her place as one of the most haunted places in the country and has been host to many films and TV shows. During tour season (March – August) Waverly offers several options of visiting. *2hr. Introductory Paranormal Tour which includes a 20 film then a walk through the building.*2hr. Historical walk through tour held one Sunday each month*Public or Private overnight sessions for ghost hunting enthusiasts. For all tour or overnight reservations or inquiries contact the office open daily 9am to 5pm Monday - Friday.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I wasn't sure what to expect from this tour, but what I got was a little disappointing. The address of the Google Maps has for the sanatorium is incorrect so I had to spend a few more minutes driving to get to the correct address. When I got there I parked and was sent to a hold holding room with maybe 40 other people. The tour started 10 minutes late, and we were broken up into two different groups. While it was really interesting to see everything, the tour guide did not give much history or explanation about what a sanatorium is. She kind of assumed that everyone have either been on the tour before or had already done research online about Waverly Hills. I had done neither, so was a little confused during part of the tour. The tour ended 15 minutes early, so we really only got an hour and half in the hospital.

Tour is open to the elements, so dress for the weather.

1  Thank michelle j
There are newer reviews for Waverly Hills Sanatorium

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My friends and I have visited many haunted attractions over the years and were looking forward to our overnight ghost hunt at Waverly Hills for a very long time. The building is creepy and very interesting. One of my friends had previously visited and taken the two hour tour years prior. We arrived after 11 and checked in. We were given the basic instructions of how everything worked. I was not very thrilled that we had to be accompanied any time we wanted to leave our investigation floor to return to the common room where our items and the bathrooms were located, but we were told our guides would bring us down any time we requested.
There were approximately 30 people there that night, and we split into two groups of 15. Our group was assigned to guide Clinton. We started on the upper portion of the building. Our “tour” was brief, if anything. Having been on multiple trips like this, we were expecting a thorough history of each location, what we could expect, what “hunting techniques” worked best, etc. Had we never have gone on a ghost hunt before, we would have been totally lost without any guidance on what to do or what to expect. We were briefly told the main highlights of each floor and a blurb about his own personal experiences while there. We were split into even smaller groups to take on the top 3 floors, which was nice having so few people investigating in a single place.
We started out enjoying our night, and my friend who had visited prior gave us her own tour and told us what historical and ghostly information she remembered. While the building is large, it is only a single hall with side by side rooms, the occasional office room, and a balcony along each floor. We had an hour to an hour and half on each floor. I would rather have had a proper tour of each floor with a shorter investigation time because of how little there was to actually investigate. We were on our third stent of the upper floors part of the night and it was after 3am. Our guide had said he would check on each floor momentarily throughout our allotted time, but we had not seen him in a long time. We were told not to leave our floor or go onto other floors, but to instead wait in the stairwell. We waited half an hour. We were cold and really needed to use to bathroom. We finally found him, investigating with another group on the floor below us. We told him we wanted to go downstairs, but he said our break was coming up soon. We asked how long, he said 35 minutes. My friend said that was a long time to have to wait to go to the bathroom. He kept insisting we should wait until break time. He finally begrudgingly said he would take us, but he acted like we would really be putting him out. We stayed in the stairwell until break time, which was an even longer wait than promised.
In hind sight, we should have insisted. I did not pay $100 to be told I was not allowed to use the bathroom. From this point on, we were just over the whole deal. We realized that he had previously taken some people down about an hour before we asked, and in reality he just didn’t want to go down again. Also, the group on the third floor he was investigating with had a lot of equipment, so one would assume they were taken more seriously than three girls with flashlights. Had I known this, I would have carried a tripod around all night to look important too. We did take our break, and then went to the lower levels. We didn’t even get to investigate the death tunnel, just walk down and back up. We were told to take our time, but then rushed to hurry back up. The rest of our night was just hurry up and waiting to leave. We did leave early, and I was sorely disappointed to have such poor treatment for an expensive venture that was greatly lacking in professionalism.
Perhaps a different guide, a different day would have been better.

10  Thank arstatler
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I visited with my husband and this is one creepy place! I can not wait to go back! I really wish we could have done the overnight package. The tour was great with Dale, who seemed to be quite knowledgeable and stated he had been doing it since 2001.
Some advice: If you need to go to the bathroom do it before you leave for the tour. There is a lot of walking so if your not capable of long walks and a lot of stairs this may not be for you.If you are going to buy a souvenir like a t-shirt, be aware they apparently smoke in the gift shop because the shirts we bought stank of cigarettes.

1  Thank SBanker925
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This place is absolutely amazing! I have wanted to take the ghost tour for years, and I am glad we did. We enjoyed our tour from midnight until 4am. My only complaint is that it did not last long enough. We heard a disembodied voice, and witnessed a few darting lights. During an EVP session our recorder stopped by itself; however, we did not catch anything on any of our recordings. I would recommend going to this location before they turn it into a hotel. I want to visit then also, but I think it will lose some of its charm.

3  Thank Rebecca W
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We stopped by with the family to take the tour and had a blast. This is one creepy place. The tour was fantastic. Great history tour. I only wish we could have done the overnight package. PS: If you need to go to the bathroom do it before you leave for the tour.

3  Thank Leamer