“Things I wish I knew ....”
Review of City Taste Tours

City Taste Tours
Ranked #2 of 33 Tours in Louisville
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: City Taste Tours combines Highlights and Sights with Bourbon and Bites! Our top rated city tour and other fun Louisville tours all include a unique twist and are perfect for fun loving locals & tourists who want to make the most of their trip to Louisville. The "Everything You Should See, Know & Taste While You're in Louisville" tour is offered both morning and afternoon and is a fun combination of sightseeing, tasting, history and stories of Louisville and numerous stops into different neighborhoods, well known landmarks and quaint local Mom & Pops. It will provide you with a great overview of the city including little tastes of foods and drinks unique to Louisville; Benedictine, Derby Pie, a fun twist on the Hot Brown, Mint Julep, Honey Bourbon and even more tasty surprises. We strive hard to give our guests a real overall "taste" of the city and a very fun time!
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I really wanted to be able to follow suit and rate this tour a 5 like so many others, but I just can't. Yes, Leslie was super friendly and upbeat ... a great representative for the city of Louisville. Yes, it was fun to try the different tastes of Louisville. I know that I would not have tried so many bourbon flavors, nor would I have tried some of the foods if I had not taken the tour. Yes, we were driven around the city and I didn't have to think about traffic or parking. The main problem is that many/most of the stops were simply "please spend your tourist dollars here" stops. Quite frankly, I started to feel apprehensive about the rest of the tour after the first few stops -- a Edison "museum", a quirky shop in NuLu, and the bakery. The Edison place had a sign with clearly stated entrance fees, so I did not feel comfortable with "looking around" when we didn't seem expected and I was sure that our tour fee didn't cover entrance to this site. After, we were dropped in the quirky shop and the bakery while Leslie did food taste pick-up runs. While it is a good way to maximize time, the shop/bakery weren't very large and I started to feel uncomfortable loitering in them while waiting for the bus to return when I didn't find anything of interest to purchase. I know that I was not the only person to feel discomfort with these shopping stops because by the time we hit either the chocolate place or the artist place the other passengers stated that they felt like "lambs being led to the slaughter." The chocolate place would have been fine if we told about it, but given 10-15 minutes to explore the immediate area instead of waiting in one tiny store while avoiding eye contact with the owner and hoping to see the bus drive by the window. The artist stop was just plain uncomfortable. First of all art is very subjective. Second, while this artist may be well known in the area, none of us knew her. Third, her main subject matter was "Derby Divas" ... if you are not into the derby, you probably won't be into this artist. Last item ... tours will differ from the description on the website and reviews. We did not experience the Benedictine sandwich or the historic confectionery. Not a huge problem, but Leslie specifically mentioned the confectionery and some special candy called a "Schmidt???" (or something like that) twice during the tour, so it seemed odd that we didn't end up going there. Bottom line, this was not the worst tour ever, but it also wasn't the best. I would recommend it because of Leslie and the food/bourbon tasting, but with a warning about the uncomfortable shopping stops.

1  Thank cagood
LeslieBurke, Owner at City Taste Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Awww... and I had been having such fun responding to reviews. Well, firstly I am so glad you liked me. That reminds me of that 1985 Sally Field Oscar speech, "You like me... you really like me!" I just showed my age didn't I. 49... by the way. I'm glad I was informative and made you enjoy the tour. I genuinely am sorry that you didn't like some of the stops. Maybe tours, like art, are a little subjective too. The purpose of the stops are not particularly to shop.... though, I must admit many of my folks do happily make purchases along the tour. The point of the local shops is well..... being local. You get to meet Kelly and Forrest at Art Eatables and hear their story.... the bakery you refer to is a fabulous woman from Uganda that survived and thrived in Louisville from selling cookies on the streets... the artist not only paints Derby themed things ... but also has photography all over her walls of Louisville locals from our newscasters to our street people. It is true that many of my stops will be quirky... I'm kinda quirky... and in addition to all the info, history, fun facts and stories am probably guilty of leaning the tour toward the weird and wonderful, which makes my tour less of a typical city tour. Each tour does experience slightly different tastes and stops... this is due to time closures of that particular stop & shop and not by my choice. If I had my way, I would stop at every place, every time, every day. I love them all. Schimpffs is a particularly fun place and I am sorry you didn't have the chance to experience it. We are able to stop there 99% of the time. If you are ever in Louisville again... just give me a call and let me know you were the reviewer that missed Schimpffs and I will take you there myself for free. It is definitely worth the stop. When a place is closed or unable to welcome us that day... I will always add an additional stop somewhere along the way. Thank you for taking the time to review... and boy, I bet I wanted those 5 stars more than you did. ;) I LOVE my 5 star reviews! :) I'm serious about the Schimpffs invite by the way.

There are newer reviews for City Taste Tours

Reviewed 27 March 2014

After a bus tour in Nashville that led two of our group to say they would never again take another city bus tour, our experience in Louisville changed all that. The time we spent and the places we visited were all great. The down side was that we may were so attracted that we spent money at each of our stops. Just kidding - it was a one of a kind from very experience travelers.

Thank you for giving city tours in general another shot! I'm glad I was able to renew your faith in tours. I think I remember you gals; all full of smiles, laughter and fun. Yes... I do try to make the tour fun and it seems folks agree... but you know the truth? It's the guests like you guys that really make a fun city tour. When life loving folks like yourselves are on the bus it makes all the difference. You all are 'a smilin' and 'a laughin' and it keeps me all 'a smilin' and 'a laughin' and before you know it everybody is 'a smilin' and 'a laughin' ... and when all that positive energy is being thrown all about, really cool and neat things just happen on the tour. Now I'm always ready with all the history, the info, the stories, the stops, the jokes, the sips of bourbon, the samples of food... but its the folks ready to enjoy themselves and enjoy life that puts the magic in the mix! I've been running these tours for 5 years now. I will have somewhere between 4000 and 4500 people on the bus each year. If there is one thing I've learned in all that time and all those people is, 'you may think the twinkle in the tour comes from me and I'm sure glad you do... but the real sparkle stems from happy folks ready to have a happy day and it just grows from there. Thanks for the great review! It made me real 'happy"! ;)

Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Louisville . We had heard that it was a fun place to visit with many good restaurants.we stayed at the Residence Inn thinking that the NULU area would be outside our hotel.
It was but not very developed and at night a bit scary.
The City Taste Tour with Leslie as Our guide saved the day.
Not only was she happy and upbeat but she took us to lots of stops with great local people, good food and yes good bourbon!! Leslie made me a believer in tours and I have nothing but praise for this experience!!

So sorry to hear that the Residence Inn wasn't exactly where you guys thought it would be. You are right, it's a little further out of that NuLu area than you would think. I'm glad I was able to make it all better! I'm also happy I was able to confirm the "fun-ness" of our city. Louisville is a hidden gem. Louisville has great sports, great arts, great restaurants, great museums and we are starting to be known for them all. What I love about your review though is that you mentioned that the tour introduced you to "great local people". How very cool that you noticed that. What makes Louisville so great is our people. On most tours you will get to meet "Kizito" (morning tours are your best shot... and she's closed on Mondays). Her story is inspiring... and even from the first word you can tell why she went from a small African village to being one of Louisville's favorite local celebrities. You get to meet Forrest and Kelly from the bourbon chocolate truffle stop. They'll tell you their story when you are there... but the quick version; They pretty much went from their home kitchen to The Oscars in 13 months! Not only are their truffles mega yummy.... they are precious people. Jill and Warren, retiring from their impressive jobs in California to become the 5th generation of candy makers for the family business. Vivian, local artist, who loves her dog, her quaint home on the river and is still sometimes surprised by her own success. You'll love her dog too by the way... if we are able to stop by her place. The list goes on and on. It's about the people. That is what makes Louisville amazing... and that is what makes the tour what it is. Thank you for noticing that.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This tour is a must if you want to know some of the secrets of Louisville. We met with family for the weekend and decided to give the tour a try. Leslie and Lisa were great!! We have all been to Louisville before but Leslie took us to some places we had never seen before and didnt know existed. We got to sample food from several different places and also taste several types of bourbon. It was a very enjoyable experience and definitely gets two thumbs up!!!

It always makes me feel good when I am able to surprise and please folks who are either local or have been to Louisville quite a few times. I try to find places that are new. I really love stops that are quirky. And, if other people don't know about it, it makes me even happier. Recently I've been stopping into the home of an Kentucky artist. The guests have been loving it! We don't make the stop every time... but when we do I find it so cool! We walk into her home and she's in her kitchen painting! I mean how local and neat is that. I try to tell people that the tour is a combination of the places you know you want to go while you're in Louisville... and the places you wouldn't have known about without me. My favorite stops though are those places you wouldn't have known about. That's the "real" Louisville. Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was a fabulous tour. Our guide was knowledgeable and went out of her way to answer our questions . They pick you up right at your hotel and deliver you back afterwards. We got to see a variety of sights and taste great local foods. I would highly recommend this company!

Yes... questions are always welcome! In most cases though I have found that folks tend to ask the same 5 or so questions on every tour... which makes me look far smarter than I actually am. :) I figured after a few years of giving tours that as long as I knew those five answers I was sitting pretty Now, every once in awhile there is someone like you that asked some really cool and interesting questions and makes me dig down in this Louisville history brain of mine and really have to think. I think I remember you by the way. Thanks for the challenging questions... thanks for liking the tour... and thanks for the great review! Leslie