“Fun and funky tour!”

City Taste Tours
Ranked #2 of 32 Tours in Louisville
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: City Taste Tours combines Highlights and Sights with Bourbon and Bites! Our top rated city tour and other fun Louisville tours all include a unique twist and are perfect for fun loving locals & tourists who want to make the most of their trip to Louisville. The "Everything You Should See, Know & Taste While You're in Louisville" tour is offered both morning and afternoon and is a fun combination of sightseeing, tasting, history and stories of Louisville and numerous stops into different neighborhoods, well known landmarks and quaint local Mom & Pops. It will provide you with a great overview of the city including little tastes of foods and drinks unique to Louisville; Benedictine, Derby Pie, a fun twist on the Hot Brown, Mint Julep, Honey Bourbon and even more tasty surprises. We strive hard to give our guests a real overall "taste" of the city and a very fun time!
Muncie
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun and funky tour!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Leslie did an outstanding job of making this a most enjoyable and informative tour. First of all, you get picked up at your hotel which is just awesome! We learned a lot about Louisville and got to taste many things like different flavors of KY bourbon, 3 cheese grits, hot brown pizza, Benedictine samich, derby pie, and those are just the highlights. This is a casual, laid back and fun tour, and we would recommend it to anyone who wants to learn a little more about the area. We were especially thrilled to stop at Churchill Downs! Thanks Leslie from the IN couple you picked up at Springhill Suites!

Visited April 2014
citytastetours, Owner at City Taste Tours, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hello guys! I remember you! Thanks so much for such a wonderful review! Glad you liked the grits and all the fun tastes. We've actually added a couple more tastes just this week... green chili wontons, The Old Fashioned and a couple more. Hope you can join us again sometime. Thanks again! Leslie

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Southern Hospitality”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I am surprised by the previous review, but note that this reviewer had essentially negative reviews for all of his/her visits in Louisville. My experience with City Taste Tour was absolutely wonderful! Although it was a cold and rainy day, Leslie's warmth and excitement for her city made this a memorable experience! Each site - a confectionery, a state park, the Slugger's museum, three historic neighborhoods and a beautiful cemetery, an artist's home, Churchill Downs - was highly informative. It is clear that Leslie has a wonderful relationship with these locations - we were warmly welcomed at each. The "tastes" were also wonderful - local wine, beer, of course bourbon, candy, fried green tomatoes, derby pie, mint juleps, "Hot Brown" pizza, etc. Also, I foolishly left a purchase on the bus, and Leslie was kind enough to return it to my hotel for me. I highly recommend this tour.

LeslieBurke, Owner at City Taste Tours, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
How sweet are you! I'm glad you felt you received some good ole' Southern hospitality while you were on the tour. Thank you for your review! I absolutely love what I do and yes, its probably pretty clear I love my Louisville. I'm so glad you loved the stops. I try to do a combination of the expected and the unexpected.... the unexpected being my favorites. I remember you by the way... you were the classy lady from The Brown, Meant to tell you on tour.... I loved your outfit. With the tall boots and all, it had this Equestrian look about it.... very Kentucky! Hope to see you on the tour again someday! Thanks for taking the time to write a review... and sharing your thoughts. Leslie
Chicago area
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Things I wish I knew ....”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I really wanted to be able to follow suit and rate this tour a 5 like so many others, but I just can't. Yes, Leslie was super friendly and upbeat ... a great representative for the city of Louisville. Yes, it was fun to try the different tastes of Louisville. I know that I would not have tried so many bourbon flavors, nor would I have tried some of the foods if I had not taken the tour. Yes, we were driven around the city and I didn't have to think about traffic or parking. The main problem is that many/most of the stops were simply "please spend your tourist dollars here" stops. Quite frankly, I started to feel apprehensive about the rest of the tour after the first few stops -- a Edison "museum", a quirky shop in NuLu, and the bakery. The Edison place had a sign with clearly stated entrance fees, so I did not feel comfortable with "looking around" when we didn't seem expected and I was sure that our tour fee didn't cover entrance to this site. After, we were dropped in the quirky shop and the bakery while Leslie did food taste pick-up runs. While it is a good way to maximize time, the shop/bakery weren't very large and I started to feel uncomfortable loitering in them while waiting for the bus to return when I didn't find anything of interest to purchase. I know that I was not the only person to feel discomfort with these shopping stops because by the time we hit either the chocolate place or the artist place the other passengers stated that they felt like "lambs being led to the slaughter." The chocolate place would have been fine if we told about it, but given 10-15 minutes to explore the immediate area instead of waiting in one tiny store while avoiding eye contact with the owner and hoping to see the bus drive by the window. The artist stop was just plain uncomfortable. First of all art is very subjective. Second, while this artist may be well known in the area, none of us knew her. Third, her main subject matter was "Derby Divas" ... if you are not into the derby, you probably won't be into this artist. Last item ... tours will differ from the description on the website and reviews. We did not experience the Benedictine sandwich or the historic confectionery. Not a huge problem, but Leslie specifically mentioned the confectionery and some special candy called a "Schmidt???" (or something like that) twice during the tour, so it seemed odd that we didn't end up going there. Bottom line, this was not the worst tour ever, but it also wasn't the best. I would recommend it because of Leslie and the food/bourbon tasting, but with a warning about the uncomfortable shopping stops.

1 Thank cagood
LeslieBurke, Owner at City Taste Tours, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Awww... and I had been having such fun responding to reviews. Well, firstly I am so glad you liked me. That reminds me of that 1985 Sally Field Oscar speech, "You like me... you really like me!" I just showed my age didn't I. 49... by the way. I'm glad I was informative and made you enjoy the tour. I genuinely am sorry that you didn't like some of the stops. Maybe tours, like art, are a little subjective too. The purpose of the stops are not particularly to shop.... though, I must admit many of my folks do happily make purchases along the tour. The point of the local shops is well..... being local. You get to meet Kelly and Forrest at Art Eatables and hear their story.... the bakery you refer to is a fabulous woman from Uganda that survived and thrived in Louisville from selling cookies on the streets... the artist not only paints Derby themed things ... but also has photography all over her walls of Louisville locals from our newscasters to our street people. It is true that many of my stops will be quirky... I'm kinda quirky... and in addition to all the info, history, fun facts and stories am probably guilty of leaning the tour toward the weird and wonderful, which makes my tour less of a typical city tour. Each tour does experience slightly different tastes and stops... this is due to time closures of that particular stop & shop and not by my choice. If I had my way, I would stop at every place, every time, every day. I love them all. Schimpffs is a particularly fun place and I am sorry you didn't have the chance to experience it. We are able to stop there 99% of the time. If you are ever in Louisville again... just give me a call and let me know you were the reviewer that missed Schimpffs and I will take you there myself for free. It is definitely worth the stop. When a place is closed or unable to welcome us that day... I will always add an additional stop somewhere along the way. Thank you for taking the time to review... and boy, I bet I wanted those 5 stars more than you did. ;) I LOVE my 5 star reviews! :) I'm serious about the Schimpffs invite by the way.
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Outstanding”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

After a bus tour in Nashville that led two of our group to say they would never again take another city bus tour, our experience in Louisville changed all that. The time we spent and the places we visited were all great. The down side was that we may were so attracted that we spent money at each of our stops. Just kidding - it was a one of a kind from very experience travelers.

LeslieBurke, Owner at City Taste Tours, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you for giving city tours in general another shot! I'm glad I was able to renew your faith in tours. I think I remember you gals; all full of smiles, laughter and fun. Yes... I do try to make the tour fun and it seems folks agree... but you know the truth? It's the guests like you guys that really make a fun city tour. When life loving folks like yourselves are on the bus it makes all the difference. You all are 'a smilin' and 'a laughin' and it keeps me all 'a smilin' and 'a laughin' and before you know it everybody is 'a smilin' and 'a laughin' ... and when all that positive energy is being thrown all about, really cool and neat things just happen on the tour. Now I'm always ready with all the history, the info, the stories, the stops, the jokes, the sips of bourbon, the samples of food... but its the folks ready to enjoy themselves and enjoy life that puts the magic in the mix! I've been running these tours for 5 years now. I will have somewhere between 4000 and 4500 people on the bus each year. If there is one thing I've learned in all that time and all those people is, 'you may think the twinkle in the tour comes from me and I'm sure glad you do... but the real sparkle stems from happy folks ready to have a happy day and it just grows from there. Thanks for the great review! It made me real 'happy"! ;)
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great way to experience Louisville”
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Louisville . We had heard that it was a fun place to visit with many good restaurants.we stayed at the Residence Inn thinking that the NULU area would be outside our hotel.
It was but not very developed and at night a bit scary.
The City Taste Tour with Leslie as Our guide saved the day.
Not only was she happy and upbeat but she took us to lots of stops with great local people, good food and yes good bourbon!! Leslie made me a believer in tours and I have nothing but praise for this experience!!

LeslieBurke, Owner at City Taste Tours, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
So sorry to hear that the Residence Inn wasn't exactly where you guys thought it would be. You are right, it's a little further out of that NuLu area than you would think. I'm glad I was able to make it all better! I'm also happy I was able to confirm the "fun-ness" of our city. Louisville is a hidden gem. Louisville has great sports, great arts, great restaurants, great museums and we are starting to be known for them all. What I love about your review though is that you mentioned that the tour introduced you to "great local people". How very cool that you noticed that. What makes Louisville so great is our people. On most tours you will get to meet "Kizito" (morning tours are your best shot... and she's closed on Mondays). Her story is inspiring... and even from the first word you can tell why she went from a small African village to being one of Louisville's favorite local celebrities. You get to meet Forrest and Kelly from the bourbon chocolate truffle stop. They'll tell you their story when you are there... but the quick version; They pretty much went from their home kitchen to The Oscars in 13 months! Not only are their truffles mega yummy.... they are precious people. Jill and Warren, retiring from their impressive jobs in California to become the 5th generation of candy makers for the family business. Vivian, local artist, who loves her dog, her quaint home on the river and is still sometimes surprised by her own success. You'll love her dog too by the way... if we are able to stop by her place. The list goes on and on. It's about the people. That is what makes Louisville amazing... and that is what makes the tour what it is. Thank you for noticing that.