“Cheap Alternative”

Ranked #85 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Brandon, Canada
“Cheap Alternative”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I was in Louisville for the National Ag Show. This is a huge show, so hotels were at a premium closer to the fair grounds. This hotel was a reasonable alternative for us. This hotel is huge! We were surprised at the size! Good thing to make note of as, we took the car to the entance hall, good thing! Room was OK. They definitely could use an upgrade. If you are using the desk for computer work, it would be nice to have a lamp so you could see what you are doing. Did not try out the restaurant. There is a great Mongolian Grill just across the street that was fantastic! Price was good, could not believe it was $69 bucks per night! Overall I would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Ask for a room near the lobby because those have been somewhat renovated. On the good side there was an LCD and no hairs on the sheets. The bad: our room was literally 1/4 mile from the lobby, they had the heat turned off in the hallways and all unoccupied rooms. We couldn't take our coats off for an hour after we arrived even with the heat turned on. Stains on carpet and on recliner, cheap grandma furniture. If u just need a clean bed for a night and you get a cheap price on Priceline , you'll be ok. Any more than that and you should look elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2012

Travellers are raving about these Louisville hotels

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here on New Year's Eve because our friends were playing a set in Wick's Pizza Pub in the hotel. After reading the reviews that others had posted about this hotel I was pretty leary of staying there but trying to be safe on NYE we booked a room. We were put on the top floor (4th) in a suite that we requested and were surprised by how nice the room actually was. For the extra money it was much better than the other rooms that we saw and the problems that I read about.

I think that part of the reason that there wasn't so much wear and tear on our room was because it was suite. It's definitely not the nicest suite but the bedroom was large and it had a giant connecting living room area. This hotel was built in the late 60's I believe and back then this was a really nice hotel (not under Ramada ownership) and the suites were basically executive suites that were incredibly nice. For this reason I think that not as many guests stayed in these rooms over the years- hence less smell and damage to the rooms. Our friends were staying in the two suites next to us and their rooms were also nice like ours.

The bathroom while not cracking and painted over was definitely a problem. The shower was basically half shower and half bath because I couldn't get the shower to be, well, just a shower. The water also took forever to get hot- my husband speculated that because the hotel is so huge and that it probably only had one water heater in the whole building, it took longer to travel up the pipes to our floor.

The hotel was filled to the brim that night- there was guests staying for NYE, a birthday party, and perhaps a youth league of some kind. The pool was in use waaaaaay past the scheduled shut down time. Parents were supervising their kids while playing cornhole (also known as bags) surrounding the pool. I definitely did not feel safe walking alone in the hotel because it is so large and the lighting is very dim in many areas. I made my husband walk the 10 minutes(!) from the hotel restaurant back to our room just to get something really quick.

In short- the beds were nice and comfortable, the suite would be the best option or at least ask to be placed on the 4th floor if possible to reduce potential situations of wear and tear. The showers sucked, no other way to put that. There was poor lighting and the hotel is so large that it is both intimidating and easy to get lost in. The parking lot is a little sketchy. The budget was in the right price range.

Would I stay here again if given another option? No.

Room Tip: The 4th floor is the best way to go for less wear and tear possibilities.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed during the holidays. It's central location was close to all of our family, restaurants, shopping and entertainment. A great pizza place, Wyck's is practically in the lobby. Staff there were great too.
The staff was accommodating and very friendly. The nice gentleman that checked us in, met us at the door near our room with a luggage carrier, helped load it and brought it to our room!
We found it to be quiet, occasionally one of the heavy door shutting. Granted, it is an older hotel but a good value.

Room Tip: If you plan to stay more than one night, I'd suggest a suite
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Pros: pizza joint (Wick's) on site; arcade on site for kids; nice towels and bath products. Nice bedding, bed well made by staff. Nice flat screen TV. Staff helpful at checkin.

Cons: no hot water in bathroom sink in late evening (both too late and too inconvenient to call to have it fixed at that hour). Bathroom small. Rooms were a long way from check in and pizza place/arcade area. Furniture looked like it had seen better days. Generally dingy feel.

Overall: ok for one night stay passing through at a good discount rate.

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed 1 January 2012

The noise level at this hotel makes it impossible to sleep. This cannot be a 2.5 star hotel. Due to the noise levels of banging doors, a large indoor pool in the center of the building that does not seem to have an enforced curfew, screaming clientele and blasting music worthy of prisoner torture status, sleep is not an option. If one parties until they literally pass out then I highly recommend this screamfest.

• Stayed December 2011
Spencer, West Virginia
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Booked two rooms for Nov. 12, 2011. Arrived at the hotel and was given one near the pool and one overlooking the parking lot. The amount of noise that the hotel staff allows to go on all hours of the night is appalling.

Adults were allowed to party in the pool area until well after 3am. They were being very loud an very rowdy. Screaming, yelling and cussing loud enough to hear every word even though we were on the 2nd floor and couldn't see the pool outside the window facing the atrium. Not to mention the fact that prior to this the staff allowed a large crowd of children and teenagers to keep the noise at a loud roar until about midnight.

The parking lot side was actually worse. There were 4-5 loud cars. By loud I mean the bass and volume of noise from their stereos were rattling my hotel room windows. These people kept making circles around the parking lot with the occasional burn out from time to time. Just like the in pool area. Here were people yelling, screaming and cussing outside. The shady looking characters with their LOUD stereos stayed in the parking lot till around 5am before leaving. The noise was so loud that I cranked up the fan on the heating/cooling unit in my room to high just to try and drown out the noise outside. It didn't work. The noise was that bad. I felt like I was trying to sleep in the middle of a super bass stereo competition. No I am not "old" or "uptight". This is just the plain and simple truth. The walls and windows were rattling and vibrating till about the time the sun started coming up. I may have gotten about 1-2 hours total sleep because of the exhaustion of being on the road for almost 8 hours.

As for the rooms. They were shoddily renovated at best. The tile in my shower was painted with the paint peeling off. My tub was scroungy. The faucet kept leaking water all night. Electrical cords for laptop and phone kept falling out of the loose sockets. Hallways were shabby and worn out. Windows weren't secure at all. Parts of parking lot were dimly lit. I actually moved my car twice because I wanted it to be closer to my windows due to the folks trolling around the parking lot. Overall worn out and tired hotel trying to give itself a cheap makeover to entice guests.

This place is the epitome of a sketchy hotel in a seemingly ghetto part of town. If you want to stay somewhere that seems secure and want a relaxing and enjoyable stay look elsewhere. If you don't care about people that act like drug dealers trolling around the parking lot and the flimsily secured windows to your room then this is the place for you.

Any place that takes its guests comfort and security seriously would have run these people off or would have called the cops. But neither happened.

I was not alone in my experience every guest that I met leaving the next morning had the same experience and feelings about their stay. Only one person didn't complain much about the noise. That was due to the fact that he had ear plugs to shut out the noise.

If I weren't traveling with my parents and infant niece I would have left this hotel and slept in my car at a rest area. At least it would have been quieter and a little more secure.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family