“Outstanding for an African Food Newbie”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Funmi's Cafe

Funmi's Cafe
Ranked #405 of 1,754 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: African
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
VA
“Outstanding for an African Food Newbie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

My daughter and her co-workers "found" Funmi's and she just had to take me there for lunch. This was my first time with African Cuisine and it won't be my last.

We ordered the Moni-Moni as an appetizer, it was a moist and creamy steamed bean cake. I had the Tanzanian Stew and found the beef to be lean and tender. The curry was just right and not overpowering. My daughter ordered the Veggie Goat Stew and it too was lean and tender. I recommend the flat bread with the stews, it is crisp on the outside and tender buttery on the inside, just perfect for dipping and scraping the bottom of the bowl.

Funmi is hidden in the side of the strip mall and they are closed between lunch and dinner. We arrive early for lunch and service was not a problem, but it is family operated and I can see why several other reviewers may have had to wait if the restaurant gets busy.

I will go back next time I'm in Louisville. It was outstanding.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank ac804

Louisville, Ky
“Good food; slow service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

Purchased a groupon for Funmi's Cafe and it being my first visit, I didn't know what to expect. I loved the food, but service was extremely slow. Having said that the server was very attentive and friendly describing the Nigerian cuisine. The restaurant was busy too. Many visitors I supppose, were like me and coming in to use the groupon before it expired the next week. Also they cook to order. I can only say good things about the food. We started our feast with kelewele - fried plantain cubes. Our dinner consisted of Lamb chops and eja ati dodo stew. Scrumptious.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank contesia
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Authentic Nigerian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

The food is amazing and is made fresh every time. It takes a while to get your entree but its b/c it is cooked completely fresh after ordering. I advise ordering an appetizer to hold you over. The plantains are amazing and so are the donuts. THey have a full vegan menu!
They were in the Highlands but now located closer to the highway 264. The place is a little hidden from view. http://www.funmiscafe.com/

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank April F
Louisville, Kentucky
“A wonderful trip to African Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

My wife left town to visit a friend, so I went to get my hair cut. My barber asked me if I knew a new restaurant had opened next door. I said no, but I'll check it out. It happened to be their first day open, after a move from a location that was much smaller, especially the kitchen. I have been three times total this week, and LOVE the food, atmosphere, and especially the Funmi family who own, run,manage and cook the food.The soups are my favorite. All of the menu items can be ordered mild medium or spicey. Spicey is my choice. All of the meals are prepared to order. Go to funmiscafe.com for a complete menu and some other reviews.
By the way, there was an issue in the original location sometimes with it taking to long to get your order. That has been resolved in the new one because they are now closed for 3 hours between 2 and 5 to allow time to prepare ingredients for dinner. Hours are now 11-2 for lunch, and 5-9 for diinner.

Stu Sampson
Louisville, KY

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Stu S
chicago, il
“Delicious, healthy food in a family-friendly, warm environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2011

We discovered Funmi's Cafe today after purchasing a Groupon for it, and we are so glad we did! The food was out of this world - delicious! I came here with my family, and they are warm and very family-friendly. There is a little window into the kitchen where my 2 year old was able to watch her food being prepared, which was so fun! More importantly, we were able to see that our food was made fresh from scratch from healthy, beautiful ingredients. Funmi is so sweet and kind, and her cooking is amazing. My husband, mother, and I are vegetarian, so we ordered the collards, tofu, and mushroom dishes, and they were amazing. My father ordered the chicken, and he loved it. Everything tasted fresh and was perfectly seasoned.
The restaurant is small and the service is personal. We felt immediately welcomed on walking in. Because of the friendliness and the ability to talk with the chef and watch her work, we felt more like we were eating at a friend's place, and we loved that!
The prices are very reasonable for the great quality food. There is an entirely vegan menu, which is delicious and makes selecting food much easier. They were equipped with crayons and coloring paper for the little one as well, and even made her a special dessert!
We had such a great experience at Funmi's Cafe. We will definitely be back, and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a family-friendly, warm, nourishing place to eat.

• Visited November 2011