“Different and delicious”

Funmi's Cafe
Ranked #331 of 1,827 Restaurants in Louisville
Cuisines: African
Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife and I had lunch here and is was very good. We shared a vegetarian combo appetizer and then a spicy chicken dish. Both were delicious and unlike anything I have had before. The restaurant is simple, but clean
and decorated with modern African art. The server was very friendly and efficient. I would highly recommend Funmi's for a taste of something different.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you enjoy eating African foods, this is the place to go. Our group ordered pounded yam with egusi also piri-piri chicken with rice. Both meals were good! The food is spicy. It may be wise to call ahead as I see some have had long waits. As the restraint wasn't too busy, we were able to get our food in good time.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Hidden away on the side of the Gardiner Lane Shopping Center is Funmi's Restaurant. It is a great place to eat something different from Louisville's over abundance of steak and potato places. Here you can eat Nigerian and other West African dishes such as Foo Foo, fried plantains, lamb, goat and chicken stews with a kick. You can get your food with mild, medium, or hot spices. And be sure to try the Jollof rice.
Be prepared to wait a little longer and pay a little more, but once you have tasted the delicious food you will feel like the price and wait is worth it.
This is a great place for families, friends, or for a date. The only thing that is missing is some music and a beer license. I highly recommend Funmi's Cafe for something different.

1  Thank Gent258
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My daughter and her co-workers "found" Funmi's and she just had to take me there for lunch. This was my first time with African Cuisine and it won't be my last.

We ordered the Moni-Moni as an appetizer, it was a moist and creamy steamed bean cake. I had the Tanzanian Stew and found the beef to be lean and tender. The curry was just right and not overpowering. My daughter ordered the Veggie Goat Stew and it too was lean and tender. I recommend the flat bread with the stews, it is crisp on the outside and tender buttery on the inside, just perfect for dipping and scraping the bottom of the bowl.

Funmi is hidden in the side of the strip mall and they are closed between lunch and dinner. We arrive early for lunch and service was not a problem, but it is family operated and I can see why several other reviewers may have had to wait if the restaurant gets busy.

I will go back next time I'm in Louisville. It was outstanding.

2  Thank ac804
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Purchased a groupon for Funmi's Cafe and it being my first visit, I didn't know what to expect. I loved the food, but service was extremely slow. Having said that the server was very attentive and friendly describing the Nigerian cuisine. The restaurant was busy too. Many visitors I supppose, were like me and coming in to use the groupon before it expired the next week. Also they cook to order. I can only say good things about the food. We started our feast with kelewele - fried plantain cubes. Our dinner consisted of Lamb chops and eja ati dodo stew. Scrumptious.

1  Thank contesia